Barnes & Noble Reviews

Alle 3.635 reviews worden getoond
Sorteer op: Relevantie | Beoordeling | Datum
Bedrijfscultuur
Good place to be but limited career advancement
Cafe service (huidige medewerker) –  Tucson, AZ19 mei 2018
people are mostly really cool, managers included. Corporate has a lot of BS going on that the store itself cant do anything about i.e. sales goals and policies
Bedrijfscultuur
Great coworkers but horrible pay
Head Cashier, Full Time (voormalige medewerker) –  Eagan, MN18 mei 2018
I worked there for one year before getting let go by the company because they had to fired all full-time non managers. My coworkers were wonderful.
Book discounts
No job security
Bedrijfscultuur
Worst Temporary Job EVER!
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Orlando, FL17 mei 2018
I just felt that the managers were very rude. I never really learned anything of value. It was very unorganized and overall I would never refer anyone to work at that particular Barnes & Noble College.
Discounts
Minpunten
Bad customer service, managament, and experience
In trasition
Lead Software Engineer (huidige medewerker) –  New York, NY17 mei 2018
CTO is outsourcing and laying off. Remaining employees becoming broken with workload and 24x7 schedule. They are not in software business and phasing it out.
Overall, not bad
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Kent, OH17 mei 2018
As a university student (I technically work for B & N College) there isn't a whole lot I can do to advance in my current position. My one big complaint is a lack of hours. I enjoy my job, though.
Good management, flexible hours
Inconsistent hours
Excellent customer services
Cafe Supervisor (voormalige medewerker) –  Camden, NJ16 mei 2018
Great work environment with room to grow within the customer services related field. The company focuses on having a fun energetic well managed customs services environment to ensure a good community relationship that will benefit not only the customers but its employees.
Great Coworkers
Lead Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Mishawaka, IN15 mei 2018
This was a great place to work. It smelled like coffee and books. The customers were as varied as the products that we sold. Our location was great at hiring passionate and friendly people that were just the right level of strange. It was a job that required plenty of physical work along with a strong knowledge of the products that we sold.
Pluspunten
Great people, great discount, and delicious cafe treats
Minpunten
Weak wage growth and a shift to only hiring part-time positions
fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (voormalige medewerker) –  Houston, TX14 mei 2018
its a nice place to work during a summer or when you have to take classes . the job is easy you will be busy only the beginning of the semester and the rest of it you can focus on your study . its fit for people want to work and study
nothing
short break
Comfortable place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (voormalige medewerker) –  Westbury, NY14 mei 2018
A typical day consists of paying invoices, but sometimes varies as to publishers and cafe vendors. Over time, that has remained stable while I have also taken on more duties.
Pleasant atmosphere
Playing favorites, personality driven
Unfortunately Going Downhill
Bookseller/Customer Service (voormalige medewerker) –  Milford, CT13 mei 2018
I originally got the job because I loved books. It was my first job, and I didn't think I would leave until after college. The first few years were great, but as of 2017 a lot of things changed. The company began to move in a direction that was more based on selling. Which is fine, but they were unwilling or unable to provide the staff necessary to make what they wanted to happen actually happen. Staff were required to only "sell" to customers during most of the workday. No putting away products, cleaning, or even standing at the customer service desk for too long. When the shipment came in, you weren't allowed to touch it until after 4pm when the store closed at 10, and they wanted it all done by 8 or 9. This would all be with two employees working on the floor on a good day. On top of cleaning the entire store, selling to customers, and answering phones, one person had to do all of the shipment. It got out of control. Add in apathetic management that didn't want to help with anything, only complain about how difficult their jobs were while sitting down and texting, and it wasn't an easy place to work. I still love Barnes & Noble. If things had been better, I would have stayed. But it wouldn't be possible now.
Bedrijfscultuur
It's not the company it used to be.
Head Cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Albuquerque, NM12 mei 2018
I loved my job at Barnes and Noble, my particular store functioned like a well oiled machine and it showed in our sales metrics and customer loyalty. I had a great discount, life insurance and paid vacation, sick, and PTO days as a part timer, and when I was promoted I had that and full benefits and was making a living wage. I loved the customers and had plenty to talk to with them.

I only wouldn't recommend them because they just did a company wide lay off and dissolved a lot of lead positions (mine included), so there isn't a lot of advancement opportunity, and lower positions are picking up that slack.
Pluspunten
has a great culture, good customers, relaxing place to work, good employee discount
Minpunten
no one really buys books anymore
Bedrijfscultuur
A company that used to be great; I wish it wasn't dying
Cafe Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  Kentucky12 mei 2018
When I started at this job 7 years ago, I loved it. The people were great, management was great, culture was great. Within the last 4 years, everything has gone downhill. Management expects results without being supportive. Constantly understaffed for the business. Desperate (and not smart) moves made by corporate in an attempt to save the business are driving employees away. I wish this wasn't the case, for several years it was the best job I ever had.
Discount, paid vacation, 401k
Minpunten
Unreasonable expectations and goals, lack of support from management, constantly changing direction
Needs New Direction
Business Development Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  Willow Grove, PA12 mei 2018
This was an enticing opportunity that has potenital to help the company grow, but they're unwilling to fully invest. The retail industry is failing and they are feeling the hit tremendously. I tried my best to juggle the various facets of business but our division is not built to develop that business on an enterprise level. The change was constant and confusing. Communication was obsolete. You are certainly not appreciated for the business you bring in, but chastised and disrespected for when you can't achieve unrealistic/fabricated goals that don't coincide with the landscape of the business.
Pluspunten
store associates, cafe, fundraising, educational business opportunities
Minpunten
business tools, communication, upper management, inventory management
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 1NeeRapporteren
It was ok
Customer Service/Sales (huidige medewerker) –  Jacksonville, FL11 mei 2018
Boring during some hours but too much of a push to sell memberships. I liked that I could go to school and still have a job. Had favoritism towards who got the most hours.
Relaxing and fulfilling job
Bookseller and Textbook Merchandiser (huidige medewerker) –  Baltimore, MD11 mei 2018
Overall, very relaxing work environment that caters to both employees and patrons. Would recommend this job to high school or college students as they go hand-in-hand.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 2NeeRapporteren
Slow paced
Barista (voormalige medewerker) –  San Bruno, CA10 mei 2018
Typical day was opening the store, baking, prepping, and display management. Worst part of the job was hands down the management. They treated employees awful, wrecked work when an employee didn't finish on time. Another manager was constantly saying terrible things about almost every employee.
Relaxing
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 1NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
B&N is a good company to work for.
Store Manager (huidige medewerker) –  Dover, DE10 mei 2018
B&N is a great family feel. The company is supportive and great to work. They have a good training system in place and will work to to prepare the team to succeed.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 1Nee 1Rapporteren
B&N Part Time Cafe
RETAIL SALES AND CAFÉ ASSOCIATE (voormalige medewerker) –  St. Louis, MO10 mei 2018
I started as seasonal and was hired on full-time in the cafe. It was a lot of work but manageable, but I had to quit for personal reasons. The pay was fair and the workplace culture was something I easily adjusted to.
Boring, yet low maintenance
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Cedar Rapids, IA10 mei 2018
Hours go by very slow, you often stand doing nothing. It's never busy, even the busiest days are easy to handle. Customers tend to be more hostile here for some reason though.
Bedrijfscultuur
Great people to work with, not so great company values
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Fenton, MO10 mei 2018
I really do enjoy working here, and the people i work with. Very much a work family. It's Corporate's views and values that make it hard to want to stay. With their recent and unexpected cut of all full time employees, part-timers like myself are expected to pick up the extra work load on top of their expectations of work ethic. Corporate is just trying to save the company but are absolutely not putting their employees first.
Pluspunten
Great people to work with, awesome discount, flexible hours
Minpunten
Corporate is only out to save themselves. Low pay.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 1Nee 1Rapporteren
Profiel geclaimd

Wil je meer weten over hoe het is om hier te werken?

Stel een vraag over solliciteren of werken bij Barnes & Noble. Onze community staat klaar om te antwoorden.

Stel een vraag