Barnes & Noble Reviews

2.962 reviews gevonden voor deze zoekopdracht
Bedrijfscultuur
slow paced, but great people
Sales Associate (voormalige medewerker) –  Celina, OH10 december 2017
the college campus bookstore I worked at was very small, the day seemed to drag on, wasn't much for me to do, the people I worked with were fantastic, always got the days I asked for off
discount on merchandise
slow paced
Bedrijfscultuur
Buen ambiente sin cafe gratis
Packer (voormalige medewerker) –  Jamesburg, NJ9 december 2017
Variación de trabajo con horarios cambiados y horas extras aveces
Bedrijfscultuur
Barnes and Noble is a results driven business that produces results
Cafe Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  South Burlington, VT9 december 2017
Barnes and Noble is a company that looks for and achieves results, by offering employees expectations and coaching on a regular basis. They have daily meetings with the staff reviewing successes and opportunities of meeting sales needs.
Working for Barnes and Noble really taught me how to drive and lead my team to consistently reach the next goal.
I left Barnes and Noble because my family needs made it difficult for me to give the attention to this position, that I felt it required.
Free lunches, discounts, bonuses
salaried hours
Bedrijfscultuur
Wonderful place to work part- time!
Sales Associate (huidige medewerker) –  Manhasset, NY8 december 2017
If you are in college and need some extra pay this is a great place to build basic work skills before graduation. The staff consists of an amazing group of individuals that are diverse and talented. Management is excellent and always available to answer questions regarding work schedules or the overall work environment in general.
employee discounts, flexible hours
Stressful, No Advancement
Café Barista (voormalige medewerker) –  Fort Collins, CO8 december 2017
Not really any room for advancement unless you had been working with the company for years.

Kept just between 30 to 40 hours to make sure they didn't have to offer benefits.

Very strict on making sure everything is perfect but are strict on no over time.
Bedrijfscultuur
Productive and fun workplace. Love the people!
Head Cashier/Sales Associate (huidige medewerker) –  College Station, TX7 december 2017
You have to straighten up the store, restock shelves and put up displays. Things are pretty straightforward and structured with enough leeway to augment things as needed. The people are super fun to work with and the managers are fairly understanding and willing to work with you when they can. Customer service is a huge part of the job and multitasking can help. I've learned about efficiently performing tasks and being able to help difficult customers and situations.
Discounts, coworkers, flexibility
Minpunten
Sometimes hours being cut, sometimes rude/entitled customers
I miss working here
Barista/Cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Edison, NJ7 december 2017
It was always fun to go into work and be greeted by the work family. The other Baristas were amazing and the assistant store manager at the time was absolutely phenomenal! The only part of the job that was difficult would have been the rushes, but once you get good enough at the job it's not so bad.
Pluspunten
discounted products, decent break times
lack of staffing
Bedrijfscultuur
A lot of work goes into making a bookstore great
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  CT7 december 2017
If you love books and reading this should be a great place to work, although you'll have to do your reading on your own time. It's a common misconception that booksellers hang around and read when there's nothing to do. Actually, there are never enough hours or employees to get all the jobs done and so you're really expected to hustle.

You can expect a typical day to be a lot of running around, or at least walking at a very fast pace-always. Each day is a different challenge. Aside from answering many phone calls, assisting customers in locating their items, placing orders, ringing up purchases at the registers, and keeping the store tidy, you could spend time shelving the never-ending supply of newly arrived merchandise, taking down displays and putting up new displays, dusting the sales floor, making sure all sections are in their correct company-approved order, and assisting customers with trouble-shooting their e-reader devices.

My favorite part of the job: finding just the right book and knowing I've helped the customer, or when a returning customer let me know they enjoyed a recommendation I'd made. Also participating in or directing events for kids and families, like storytimes.

The hardest part: disappointing a customer, for whatever reason, be it that their book is not in stock, their order didn't arrive on time, etc. It can be kind of crazy to see how that might really ruin a person's day.

Another difficulty being seen and felt everywhere is online retailers. They're not going away, though, and all brick-and-mortar stores are struggling to remain relevant. It
  meer... can be frustrating to lose sales to the internet after working to assist a customer in locating their item only to have them say they'll order online.  minder
discount on merchandise
Minpunten
pushing the membership, competiton with online retailers
Limited Growth
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Savannah, GA7 december 2017
The work was fine but could be considered very repetitive. The company only hired part time staff so that they wouldn't have to pay for benefits which limits the growth as an employee
Calm environment
Minpunten
No benefits, limited growth potential
Awful management
Cafe Lead (voormalige medewerker) –  Palmdale, CA6 december 2017
Self explanatory - terrible management at every level including regional. They just kept replacing bad managers with worse ones. The store will be closed in the next year.
Seasonal
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Maumee, OH6 december 2017
I’m working there currently as a seasonal employee. It’s usually pretty busy and everyone is really nice. I can’t work Friday, Saturday, or Monday and they still work with me!
Best Place
Barista (huidige medewerker) –  San Diego, CA5 december 2017
Barnes and Noble is the best place to work if you're a student. Super flexible hours, great discounts, and the greatest employees and managers! I love working at Barnes and Noble
it was hard work for me
Pick and Pack Associate/QC Auditor (voormalige medewerker) –  Dayton, NJ5 december 2017
it was quite hard work for me as I have to lift heavy boxes through out the day . I was enjoying QC work but it was very less . timing was good so I can balance family life .
friendly environment
heavy work
Bedrijfscultuur
If you love books, you'll enjoy it!
Merchandise Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  Texas5 december 2017
The company is always in a transition because it's trying to compete with their major competitors. The management team is expected to always perform. Everyone is passionate about at least one genre in the store and it's fun to learn about new literature. The discounts are great, especially in the cafe.
Discounts, staff, products
Minpunten
No set shifts, unreasonable expectations
Management lacking
Seasonal Associate (voormalige medewerker) –  Hampton, VA4 december 2017
Long time employees and assistant managers were highly insecure around new, part time, seasonal employees. The job is a piece of cake and can be quite fun if you don't allow their negative attitudes to get to you. The best advice during downtime is to find things yourself to keep busy with as the permanent folks don't like to share tasks & often make mountains out of molehills. Enjoy the customers, most are pretty great. Remember the reasons you are there & maybe one day the manager will re-evaluate who should stay & who really needs to go. We were told during the initial interview process by assistant managers to not say we loved books because no one there gets to read. This was weird because you don't read on any job but a love of books is still a valid reason for wanting to work in a BOOK store.
Customers, discount
Job insecurity, poor attitudes
Poor place to work
Tradebook & Events Manager (huidige medewerker) –  Richmond, VA1 december 2017
No room to grow and poor management. Management is not efficient. All employees are underpaid and there are no set training guidelines. Work environment is very stressful.
Bedrijfscultuur
I liked the job, but felt it could’ve been better had the company not decided to base so much of their focus on the Nook reader.
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  The Woodlands, TX30 november 2017
I love reading & so a job @ Barnes & Noble was Awesome! Sadly the corporate need to focus on greed made the job less fun. I was good at selling books, but that never mattered as the instructions were to always hawk the Barnes & Noble card & convince people they needed the Nook reader. I do have great appreciation for the Nook, I just feel too much was focused on it & feel I was proved right a few years after I left I heard the reader essentially became part of a different company. As far as the Barnes & Noble card went, I feel it was more of a rip off than an advantage & it really depressed me when the little old folks on fixed incomes that would never actually learn how to use the card to their advantage would ask for the card. While I never told them my opinion ~ I felt guilty. It’s not right to treat people that way & I’m glad I don’t have to sell that card anymore. I think it’s sad that the corporate world chooses to create cash cows like that card rather than just letting good sales people do their job of selling things people want to buy.
Pluspunten
never ending books, no uniforms
Minpunten
barnes & noble card, elf on the shelf
Bedrijfscultuur
Fun place to work with great customers
Bookseller/Cashier (huidige medewerker) –  Tigard, OR30 november 2017
I enjoy working with Customers at Barnes & Noble. Helping Customers find books, helping children pick out a book to read and the flexible hours are the perks working at Barnes & Noble.
low pay great managers
Sales Associate (voormalige medewerker) –  Cocoa, FL30 november 2017
I started this job my second year at BCC as a work study and eventually signed on to be employed longer. My manager was great I just needed more pay and I was switching my field of study to healthcare
Part-Time Bookseller
Calculating sales (huidige medewerker) –  Houston, TX29 november 2017
In my time as a bookseller for B&N College, the management and overall job culture have both been beyond amazing. They are flexible to your schedule based on your classes and other occupations or commitments, and the work is fairly easy and sometimes fast paced. However, I don't believe I am paid fairly, simply because of the wide range of responsibilities I have to take care of on a day-to-day basis. Great place to grow comfortable with professionally speaking to people, and becoming familiar with sales operations.
Pluspunten
Employee discounts and sometimes free or discounted food items
Only 15-30 minute lunches, have to stand all day