Barnes & Noble Reviews

Alle 3.248 reviews worden getoond
Bedrijfscultuur
Head Cashier and Cash Manager (huidige medewerker) –  Bloomfield Hills, MI21 februari 2018
Enjoyed work

Challenging

Good team culture

Wanted to continue, but position was eliminated in a company-wide layoff

Overall good store management

Enjoyed supervisory responsibilites
Book Loan program
Short lunch hours
Goal Oriented & Character Building
MUSIC SELLER/BOOK SELLER (huidige medewerker) –  Bay Shore, NY21 februari 2018
My experience at Barnes and Noble has shaped my work ethic. I wish to only see this company prosper even if I someday choose to leave my storefront. The customer service was my favorite part. Helping others find what they need and fulfilling my position brought pride to my sense of bein,
Bedrijfscultuur
Book nerd's paradise to work at.
Head Cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Manassas, VA21 februari 2018
Clock in, assist customers with finding books that they need. There were a variety of cultures that came to work there. It was overall a great experience because you get to learn about so many different books that are out there that you probably wouldn't hear about otherwise.
Bedrijfscultuur
They have no job advancement oppertunity
Digital Lead (voormalige medewerker) –  Lincoln, NE21 februari 2018
This was a great place to work until Corp. decided to fire all seasoned full time staff. they will only hire part time at min. wages from this point on. The customer service of the stores went from great to barely there because of the lack of personal and experience. I would have to say this is not a safe place to work right now due to the lack of job security.
Nice co-workers
Minpunten
Treat employees as non assets and are only worried about member card sign ups
Freaking Awesome
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Arkansas21 februari 2018
Great atmosphere and fantastic people to work with. Working at Barnes and Noble makes one look forward to going to work. The management is helpful and there is little workplace drama.
Discounts on all merchandise
Slacks
Bedrijfscultuur
Demeaning corporate culture. Very little respect. Very little opportunity. Very little security.
Manager (huidige medewerker) –  Austin, TX21 februari 2018
Not a good place to work. Won't be around very much longer. Punitive culture that pushes you to increasingly unrealistic goals. Compensation is pitiful.
Books
Corporate indifference
unorganized and not professional
Sales Associate (voormalige medewerker) –  Newburgh, NY20 februari 2018
overall a disappointing experience. there are two managers that are never organized and don't value employees. one of them is very lazy and very rude to many employees
Great people
Head Cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Tucson, AZ20 februari 2018
Working here was a joy, 90% of the time. I thoroughly enjoyed the people I worked with and working with books was a dream come true. Customers, for the most part, are pleasant.
Books
Job security
Bedrijfscultuur
Lovely managers and positive environment
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Grand Rapids, MI20 februari 2018
I work at a B&N College bookstore and my manager is the sweetest lady on Earth. I am constantly making connections with other students in the school and gaining experience. My manager is very understanding of my school schedule as well as my other job and the discount on school supplies is very useful, especially in art school.
Pluspunten
wonderful manager, decent discount, good experience
Minpunten
small store, a bit onorganized
Bedrijfscultuur
Not the greatest company to work for
Assistant Manager (huidige medewerker) –  Erie, PA20 februari 2018
Don't expect to get rich working for Barnes & Noble!! They are more worried about their profits than their employees. No bonuses, holiday parties or stock sharing, but they do show their employee appreciation by giving an extra 10% employee discount twice a year. So nice of them!! I'd rather have a bonus instead of giving them more of my income. Basic healthcare coverage and 401K.
Avoid
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Cleveland, OH19 februari 2018
I enjoyed my benefits, but was asked to have too much responsibility for the pay. My store's staff was pretty great, customers were not the nightmares I had heard about, but there were always a few exceptions.

Ability to cross train across many areas of the store, but not a lot of potential for advancement.

The decisions being made at the corporate level do not appear to be saving or keeping company in business, but to eventually close.

On a store level, it was great. At a corporate level it is same old same old. After the full time layoffs, part time employees just barely being paid over minimum wage are now tasked with picking up the slack.

Work for another bookstore, what's left of them. That, or open your own.
Pluspunten
Healthcare and benefits for FT, great team.
Most everything else
A decent atmosphere
Sales and Inventory Manager (huidige medewerker) –  Clearwater, FL19 februari 2018
The times have changed a bit, at Barnes and Noble. It was quite a fun job when I started there. The staff still tends to be the reason to come to work, but the overall amount of pressure has slowly ramped up to the point its a bit ridiculous. Still, if you love books and a bookstore atmosphere, its worth it.
Barista / Cashier
Barista/Cashier (huidige medewerker) –  Leominster, MA19 februari 2018
Hired during the holidays, extremely difficult to become fully trained but got used to it over a few weeks, serves its purpose of a part-time job yet continue to struggle with a few tasks as I haven't been trained 100 %
breaks and lunches
no raise given
not a bad place to work
store supervisor (huidige medewerker) –  Orlando, FL18 februari 2018
The job was easy but frustrating at times. There was not a lot of work space. Backroom could be crowded but management was kind and friendly. They worked with you and looked out for you.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 1Nee 1Rapporteren
Favorite Job Held
Head Cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Omaha, NE18 februari 2018
A typical day work a 8 hour shift, with a great team. On the sales floor you would help assist customers, and shelve books. At the registers you will sell the member card and attend to normal cashier duties.
Was deze review waardevol?JaNee 1Rapporteren
Fun place to work
Department Lead / Supervisior (voormalige medewerker) –  Newington, NH18 februari 2018
B&N hires the best people. It's the coworkers that make this job amazing. Everyone there is fun, intelligent, and shares a love of books and reading that can't be found anywhere else. Even though there were many expectations, metrics to hit, and tasks to complete, there was never any stress or pressure about the job. We did what we did for the love of the people around us, nothing more.
fun place to work
Community Business Development Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  Columbus, GA18 februari 2018
Good Place to work. Fun atmosphere. Great discounts on books and Starbucks. Hours are not that good. Long hours and weekend work as well as the holidays.
High pressure low reward
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Nashua, NH18 februari 2018
The pressure to sell memberships is insane and without any form of incentive. Coworkers are usually really nice and good friendships have been formed and customers are typically pretty pleasant as well. However, they just had a nationwide sweep of layoffs and my store alone lost four of our best employees. Since the managers weren’t prepared for it, this week was a madhouse. Part time has good hours at the moment but full timers are left worrying about job security. Many of us are currently looking for work elsewhere. Ultimately, I think it’s a bit risky to work there at the moment with the decrease we’ve had in sales, who knows whether the stores will even stay open for much longer.
50% discount on café, 30% books, 20% everything else, great coworkers
Minpunten
High pressure, unstable hours, very little job security
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 3NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Great place to get along with your co-workers
Lead Bookseller/Digital Sales Lead (voormalige medewerker) –  Roseville, CA17 februari 2018
Through Barnes & Noble I have learned how to lead a team. I have learned the value of communication within the team. Most days that are slow are filled with enough day to day tasks to still make the work day fly by. I have learned how to merchandise, stock, replenish.
Employee Discounts
It is a failing company
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 1Nee 1Rapporteren
All Good!
Customer Service Representative (voormalige medewerker) –  Lyndhurst, NJ17 februari 2018
Loved the job, but due to me not having sick days, the days I called out with doctors notes weren't excused. I dealt with checking if the vendors had the books or other items in stock before even ordering them. And dealing with the actual book stores in helping them locate the item or informing them on any delays.
Was deze review waardevol?JaNee 1Rapporteren