Barnes & Noble Reviews

Alle 3.965 reviews worden getoond
Sorteer op: Relevantie | Beoordeling | Datum
Employee
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Davis ca15 november 2018
This company is at deaths door. They are not a place where you can plan for the future. The business model has undoubtedly ensured the company will be closing more stores.
Discount and pto
Minpunten
Management, operations, ethics, moral compass as a company
Bedrijfscultuur
Constant focus on reducing payroll led to poor customer service
Assistant Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  Beaverton, OR15 november 2018
Operating a 25,000 square foot store with only three employees on the sales floor was not only challenging, but resulted in poor customer service, decreased productivity and low morale. The main focus of higher management was reducing payroll, above all else.
Bedrijfscultuur
Positive environment and wonderful culture
Barista and Cashier (huidige medewerker) –  Gilbert, AZ15 november 2018
The moment I started at Barnes and Noble, I knew it was something special. The managers understood that mistakes were part of a learning curve and didn’t expect complete perfection right off the bat. Everyone there is really kind, and the pacing is a lot easier to handle than traditional retail or food service.
Pluspunten
Good break policy, wonderful environment, employee discount
Minpunten
Employee discount is actually a bit low, you kinda get stuck part-time
Great discount
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Plainfield, IN14 november 2018
I really enjoyed the discounts with this job. It's a great job if you like working with people and love books/reading. The pay isn't great. Management was okay.
Great 2nd job
Barista (voormalige medewerker) –  Jonesboro, AR13 november 2018
Doesn't have enough hours. The discounts are very nice. There are several managers some are nice others are questionable not. very fast paced training.
discounts
management
It's Retail...
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Fenton, MO12 november 2018
If you have worked any sort of retail then you will understand what working for Barnes and Noble is like. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with customers that will yell at you for the slightest reason. But if you have a passion for books, you will find ways to cope. Ultimately it depends on your store location. Some stores will be better run than others, and some stores will have more competent managers than others.
Pluspunten
Like minded peers with a passion for books.
Minpunten
Scarce benefits, low pay, rude customers.
Lose Lose Situation
BARISTA / CAFÉ SERVER (huidige medewerker) –  Hampton, VA12 november 2018
My B&N has a very high turn over rate in terms of employee employment length. However, I think this not only has to do with amazon's overhaul of popular products making them more available at a more affordable price. Barnes and nobles also doesn't pay their workers enough to stick around especially knowing there is no room for career advancement as also mentioned in the hiring interview.
30 percent discount almost store-wide
No perks, benefits, vacation, PTO, OT, etc
Fun easy going workplace
Bookseller/Cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Troy, MI12 november 2018
I was a bookseller at Barnes & Noble. My job was the help customers on the floor to find books they were looking for or to help recommend books based on other titles they enjoyed. I learned a lot about customer service at this job and with the help of a wonderful manager, I learned many aspects of the business that I wasn't aware of before. There was a very diverse group of associates that I worked with and we all seemed to enjoy our shifts together. The most enjoyable part of this job, aside from the people, was all of the books and authors I got a chance to learn about.
Management issues
Lead Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Huntington Beach, CA10 november 2018
I loved everything about the job except for the poor decisions that came from those higher up in the company as well as management being very unorganized.
Good Job
Cafe Lead Server (huidige medewerker) –  Boynton Beach, FL9 november 2018
This is the best job I've had yet. But to be honest that's not really saying much. Come see for yourself. You probably won't be disappointed. Hope you like books.
Pluspunten
Pros
Minpunten
Cons
Was deze review waardevol?JaNeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Fun environment and a lot of tasks
Barista and Cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Oceanside, CA9 november 2018
Being a part of the Barnes and Noble environment is fun but stressful. You have to make sure that all tasks are met but the co-workers are fantastic! Everyone is supportive and willing to work with you. As long as you work hard as well.
Fun environment and co-workers
Minpunten
None that I can think of
Pretty easy job
Barista (voormalige medewerker) –  Allen Park, MI7 november 2018
Sadly was let go after not even completing training but the job was not hard at all it's extremely simple baking, making drinks/food, using a very complex register
Discounts on whole store
Minpunten
Don't give people a chance
Fast paced
LEAD BOOKSELLER (voormalige medewerker) –  Gainesville, FL6 november 2018
This is a fast paced job at times but in the slower times there is still tasks to be done. Working here was like working with family, everyone is great and caring. The managers understand that school is a big deal and are willing to work with you with your school schedule.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 1NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Good retail company to work for.
Assistant Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  Bozeman, MT6 november 2018
Generally this is a good company. Management will vary from store to store, but you can expect good managers overall. The company prefers to promote from within and will transfer between stores. This is a SELLING culture. You are expect to sell product and services. This is a retail business. Expect to work weekends, evenings and holidays.
Rewarding and fun
Community Business Development Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  Jonesboro, AR6 november 2018
Working at Barnes & Noble was overall a very fun and rewarding job. The work environment was amazing and my coworkers were terrific. As the years went by and the company faced a financial crisis, it became unrealistic to meet sales goals. Company downsizing also eliminated many full-time positions.
Employee Discount, healthcare, work environment
Minpunten
Unrealistic sales goals, company financial crisis, downsizing, layoffs
Bedrijfscultuur
My favorite place to work
Receiving Manager (huidige medewerker) –  Wellington, FL5 november 2018
Since starting with the company in 2008 I’ve had an excellent experience. There was only one store that I worked at out of the 4 that had any issues and that was due to poor management. Otherwise it’s been the most comfortable, active, and reasonably challenging workplace I’ve ever had the pleasure to work.
The only real downside was the lack of advancement opportunities. Recently multiple full time and manager positions were completely eliminated company wide. This has made advancement even more difficult as well as complicating workloads. Benefits are excellent if you could manage to find yourself in a full time position.
Barnes and Nobles
Cashier and Sales Associate (voormalige medewerker) –  Bentonville, AR5 november 2018
Was not a bad place to work will going to school. Added bonus of getting discounts on books for college which as you know can be pretty expensive. I would recommend working here to others
Satisfying Place To Work
Head Cashier & Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Millbury, MA4 november 2018
I love being able to go into work every day and talk to customers about books--in many ways, it's the most rewarding job that I've ever held. There's always new books and authors to discover, and sharing that experience with customers looking for a new book is always exhilarating.
Overall Okay but No Tips and No Scheduling Website
Barista and Cashier (huidige medewerker) –  Bloomington, IN3 november 2018
I liked my job as a barista starting out, but my dislike of the company quickly overtook me. We’re forced to throw out food that is “going bad” and aren’t allowed to take it home. We only get a 30% discount and we rarely ever get tips because Barnes and Noble thinks that tip jars “look bad”.
The scheduling system is horrendous. There’s no online system because they’re currently “in between” services. You have to go in the store, in person, to write down the days you want off and even then managers can overlook them and schedule you anyway.
I loved working with customers and making drinks, however I very much disliked a lot of the company decisions. It was a good place to work at- the managers were nice, but for me personally it wasn’t a good fit.
30% off on store 20% off audio
Minpunten
No tip jar, horrible scheduling system
n/a
Supervisor (huidige medewerker) –  Fort Smith, AR2 november 2018
it was a fine place to work. Mangament isnt great but the workis easy and as long as you do what your told you will do just fine. The coworkers are amazing.
Profiel geclaimd

Wil je meer weten over hoe het is om hier te werken?

Stel een vraag over solliciteren of werken bij Barnes & Noble. Onze community staat klaar om te antwoorden.

Stel een vraag