Barnes & Noble Reviews

Alle 3.808 reviews worden getoond
Sorteer op: Relevantie | Beoordeling | Datum
Bedrijfscultuur
You are surrounded by books.
Community Business Development Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  Allen Park, MI11 juli 2018
For somebody who loves books and does not want to make a career out of a Barnes & Noble than this place is perfect for you.Great customer service experience although slightly disorganized and fluctuating management at the moment.
Discount on books and Cafe
Minpunten
Transition to more of a money making and less focus on working with employees
Good Benefits
Sales and Inventory Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  Miami, FL11 juli 2018
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity employer. For a full time employee they provide good benefits. Among these benefits are health, dental and vision insurance and a 401K option. A store discount and paid time off are also included.
Bedrijfscultuur
BNC-- the ideal college student employment
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Groton, CT11 juli 2018
I love my job at the bookstore. Our campus is small and we don't have much for student affairs, so we are a low volume store with only 3 employees but I would recommend to every college student to apply for their bookstores since it is a convenient and flexible job that is very understanding of the working conditions needed for a healthy college schedule.
flexible
low pay
Fun co-workers, terrible business
Receiver (huidige medewerker) –  Beaverton, OR10 juli 2018
I adore the people I work with in the store, and even the customers aren't bad compared to other retail experiences I have had, but the company doesn't care for it's employees. We are consistently expected to meet demands that we have not been allotted enough payroll for. Earlier this year they laid off many of our full-time employees so they wouldn't have to pay them benefits, which left us under-staffed and under-trained. I was expected to take on the responsibilities of my supervisor on top of my own, with no prior notice and no pay increase. Then an employee with the same position at another store got pregnant and asked for health insurance, but they didn't want to pay for that so they cut her hours AND mine (and every other receiver, I hear) and now I can't afford to pay my rent.
This was my dream job, I love books and I loved this job, but I can no longer work for a company that so blatantly disrespects their employees.
Pluspunten
Discount on books, fun and friendly employees
Minpunten
Everything else, this company hates it's employees
Bedrijfscultuur
Used to be a great place to work
Store Manager (huidige medewerker) –  Holyoke, MA10 juli 2018
No day is typical. Everyday is different. Customer focused company but lack or hours/staffing makes it difficult to tend to customers and complete tasks required daily. I have learned a lot about my ability to persevere and get the job done. Hardest part of my job is staying positive in the current situation of the company. Retaining staff and keeping people motivated is becoming increasingly more difficult.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 2NeeRapporteren
It is what you make it
Retail Associate (voormalige medewerker) –  Rock Hill, SC10 juli 2018
I enjoyed working for B&N very much. A typical day would include anything from putting out and/or folding merchandise to spending an entire shift behind a register. I personally enjoyed a very busy day with customers.
flexible hours, consistent breaks
no cons
Stressful work environment
Barista, Cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Newark, DE10 juli 2018
While a lot of the people at this location were super nice the amount of customers served hourly for the cafe is terrifying. they'll work you 39.5 hours a week so they don't need to give you benefits.
Bedrijfscultuur
It was nice while it lasted
Barista (voormalige medewerker) –  Orlando, FL9 juli 2018
Any gripes I could have of the job were entirely my own fault. They treated me kindly, and with the exception of a few bad customers, I loved working there. Shame that they only gave me a few hours a week.
Unstable employment
Cashiering, customer service (voormalige medewerker) –  Cherry Hill, NJ8 juli 2018
Over the past few years full time employment has become less of a guarantee, with plenty of full time employees being let go without warning. Trying to move up in the company is difficult, and it may take five to ten years before you see any advancement or fulltime employment, or even longer in current climates.
Pluspunten
discount on books, music and food
Minpunten
no advancement, low support, unstable job security
Bedrijfscultuur
good
College Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Normal, IL7 juli 2018
This was a summer job I head during my undergrad years. The manager was great and provided me with a lot of opportunity to expand my skills and work with students.
Bedrijfscultuur
Bookselling is a challenging profession. I appreciated the opportunity to work with the booksellers and managers at Barnes & Noble.
Assistant Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  Santa Monica, CA7 juli 2018
I enjoyed the opportunity to to meet and work with friendly and capable management colleagues in a productive working environment at Barnes & Noble. I was able to participate in interviewing,identifying and training promising book and music sellers. We all worked at creating a cooperative and productive working environment for the benefit of our customers. Together, we developed a friendly and welcoming environment which was appreciated by our customers.
Most days at work would begin with a shift meeting and discussion of sales and service priorities. We might review previous days results, selling opportunities including discounts, in-stock situations, current promotions, new release books, music and video, loss prevention issues, and personnel assignments. At these meetings, all booksellers were encouraged to speak, making book recommendations, recognizing customer service excellence and discussing loss prevention issues. Over a period of ten years, I found Barnes & Noble a very satisfying place to work and I appreciated the B&N benefits program which I felt was very well designed and managed for the benefit of the booksellers.
Pluspunten
Fellow managers & booksellers, benefits program, learning opportunities
Minpunten
Recent management instability at the B&N senior mgt level
Work environment was great
Sales Associate/Cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Houston, TX6 juli 2018
It was a fun and fast pace environment during rush week. The leadership was great because they new their products and where willing to teach you everything they knew.
Pluspunten
Discounts on textbooks for school.
no room for advancement.
Barnes & Nobles going out of business
Store Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  Glendora, CA5 juli 2018
Barnes and Nobles was not looking to hire outside. They only look to hire inside the company and will find way to let you go to only promote within. This is true from district mgr to General Managers
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 2NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
One of the best jobs I've had
Cafe Barista (voormalige medewerker) –  Vancouver, WA5 juli 2018
Incredibly fun, great place to work if you consider yourself nerdy. Everyone is great with each other, it's like it's one big family. Plus books and coffee/tea! How better can life get? I went in knowing absolutely NOTHING about coffee. I had wonderful coworkers and trainers to get me up to speed and I had a TON of fun being a barista.
Pluspunten
Great coworkers and environment, fun place to work, cool discounts, fun events
No benefits, low pay
Bedrijfscultuur
A stressful workplace where nothing is ever management's fault
Barista (voormalige medewerker) –  Chico, CA 959284 juli 2018
While this job isn't really that difficult, it's outstandingly stressful due to the lack of proper leadership. Management is very shortsighted and will never accept any responsibility for the things they do.
Bedrijfscultuur
i loved being a bookseller
Merchandising Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  Costa Mesa, CA3 juli 2018
being passionate about books and becoming a bookseller is like a calling, but the changes that the company has undergone are making it increasing difficult to stay with the company.
I loved working here
Barista at Cafè (voormalige medewerker) –  Wilkes-Barre, PA3 juli 2018
It was a fun and fast pace environment to work in the people are great they were like family to me and still are. I worked in the café area and made coffee drinks from scratch. I enjoyed myself while I was there.
Bedrijfscultuur
Great place to work, if they have work for you
Multiple Positions (voormalige medewerker) –  Fairfield, CA3 juli 2018
Great culture and company to work for, but it is a difficult business. They often over or under worked me for the hours I was supposed to be getting, i.e. giving me 32+ hours as a part timer, or less than 28 as a full timer. The full time positions change a lot and there is less room for advancement than there used to be. Raises happen annually, typically 00.25-00.50 an hour. But the starting rate is usually very low, even for experienced workers. The work, customers, and coworkers, are truly exceptional.
Great culture, customers, coworkers
Pay, hours
Company is sinking
Store Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  na3 juli 2018
Company is scrambling to stay afloat. payroll cuts so deep that managers are stressed and stretched beyond capacity. People are going to lose their jobs soon.
Fun Place to Work
Bookseller/Cashier (Seasonal) (voormalige medewerker) –  Somerset, KY3 juli 2018
Store usually stayed pretty busy and there were people in & out all day so the time went by faster. Always something to be working on. Being on a college campus made for an enjoyable work environment.
Profiel geclaimd

Wil je meer weten over hoe het is om hier te werken?

Stel een vraag over solliciteren of werken bij Barnes & Noble. Onze community staat klaar om te antwoorden.

Stel een vraag