Barnes & Noble Reviews

Alle 3.922 reviews worden getoond
Sorteer op: Relevantie | Beoordeling | Datum
poor
Customer Service (voormalige medewerker) –  Columbus, OH28 september 2018
Shot themselves in the foot. After they stopped being book focused and spread out into tangential areas, they completely lost the objectives of why they were a book store.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 2Nee 1Rapporteren
ok
sales/cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Laredo, TX27 september 2018
it was a good company to work for, if you lile books and people it doesnt even feel like a job, but the paid its not fair and not benefits can scare many people
Company Lacks Vision
Assistant Store Manager (huidige medewerker) –  Long Island, NY27 september 2018
The current workplace culture at Barnes & Noble is exceptionally strained and stressful. The company has undergone several changes in CEOs as well as changes in the executive management level. The company has struggled with its identity a specialty retailer as well as its position in the retail market. Earlier this year, Barnes & Noble executed a staff reduction of approximately 1800 personnel, all of which were department heads, including staff who were responsible for key areas of operations of the daily operations of the store. A typical day of work as a manager includes being directly responsible for all facets of operating a large retail operation. Upper-level senior management has provided little support or resources necessary for the continued growth and prosperity of the company, resulting in a turnover rate on all levels of not previously experienced in the company. The most difficult part of the job is attempting to execute company initiatives for increased sales and an outstanding customer experience with limited resources, direction and vision. Conversely, the most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers and the booksellers, driving sales, effective merchandising. Among some of the things I have learned is that both individuals and organizations alike need to anticipate and respond to changes in that marketplace and make strategic changes in order to capitalize on and succeed in a competitive environment.
Employee discount, 401K, Health benefits available
Minpunten
Lack of clear vision for the company future, job uncertainty
A great job.
server & Barista (voormalige medewerker) –  Woodinville, WA 9807227 september 2018
Good training culture, they make sure you're equipped to actually doing things without throwing you on the ropes. Relaxed environment, and I never had any concerns of not physically being able to keep the store stocked or to satisfy all the customers, which I've dealt with before. Great working culture as well, although there's some gossip (but where isn't there workplace gossip, really?)
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 4NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Enjoyable people and relaxed environment
Store Clerk/Stocker (huidige medewerker) –  Mobile, AL26 september 2018
At the beginning of the semester it stayed very busy, constantly. As the semester advanced it grew slow and boring because many people had already gotten their textbooks. They are wonderful people to work with and productivity is key. Some managers are nicer than others.
A hard place
Bookseller/Receiver (voormalige medewerker) –  Washington, DC25 september 2018
Barnes and Noble in downtown DC (no longer in business) was a difficult place to work. It kept you on your toes because of it's location. In addition to that, we had so many different personalities to work with on a daily basis that it was hard to know how to approach people.

The management left much to be desired. The general manager did not listen to the regional manager and this caused problems when it came to inventory.

The best part of the job was suggesting and finding books for customers who weren't sure what to read, and to later learn that they loved the title you chose for them.

The worst part were those who came in and took out their anger on you.
Pluspunten
Seeing new book arrivals, book signings
Minpunten
Short lunches, some of the managers were not good with people
Nice team members
Barista/Cashier (huidige medewerker) –  Clifton, NJ24 september 2018
Overall, it's a good place to work. However, some people would call out a lot. The people who I worked with were nice but I couldn't adjust to the atmosphere of the place.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 1Nee 2Rapporteren
Typical day at work
Retail Sales Associate (voormalige medewerker) –  Boston, MA24 september 2018
A typical day at work starts off by being given a long list of tasks to take on by yourself with no help from managers or supervisors. Long hours of hauling boxes and books from one floor to the other. The atmosphere is not very friendly amongst the employees either.
Its a selling culture
Assistant Store Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  Springfield, VA24 september 2018
making money is the bottom line. selling membership cards and upselling titles are what drives the business. just like any retail job, you deal with good and bad customers. the company has shifted from a book selling company to just making money and sometimes by any means. cutting hours and positions has become the new norm.
discounts
Minpunten
Pressure to sell membership cards, and upsell. Low wage and no commission
Decent Job
Sales Associate (voormalige medewerker) –  Moorestown, NJ24 september 2018
Not a horrific retail experience, and the atmosphere is generally calm. Long hours standing and re-shelving, and frequent short breaks. The discount is sufficient for those who enjoy purchasing books frequently.
Communication needs improvement
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  NJ24 september 2018
I really do enjoy the job, but I have found that there's a lack of communication. Especially when it comes to scheduling. You give your availability as well as informing them of any dates you're not available - BEFORE the schedule is made. Then you see you are scheduled on some of those days. Acting M.O.D. tells you to speak to another employee to see if they can switch days with you. Wait. It's not like i just requested the day. It was put in writing BEFORE the schedule was made! And the dust....my allergies have flared up big time. It's great to straighten up and organize the store every night, but the store is in need of a cleaning.
Bedrijfscultuur
Good
Security Officer (voormalige medewerker) –  Atlanta, GA21 september 2018
Productive and fun workplace. Pay is not suitable . Average Managers Who Don't Think Outside the Box. But Overall Barnes and Noble is fun and interesting place to work
Great Place, Great Management,Great Culture
Customer Care- Text Book Section (voormalige medewerker) –  Baltimore, MD21 september 2018
Overall, a positive experience. There is always work to be done. The management is serious about their jobs. They're also extremely nice, understanding, personable people.
Education
Senior Sales Associate (voormalige medewerker) –  Stamford, CT21 september 2018
A typical day is clocking in and reviewing any orders on line for customers to full fill there orders:
Filling orders, stocking and packing bookcases: Ringing customers out on the cash register.
reading books
Minpunten
On your feet during the shift no sit down
Love my coworkers!!
Sales Associate (voormalige medewerker) –  Norman, OK20 september 2018
Barnes and Noble in Norman is an amazing place to work! The employees that work there are some of the nicest people that I've met. They are all very open to new people and loved training me. My experience there is one I will never forget. Also, the management is awesome!
Pluspunten
management, employees, full time benefits
corporate is trash
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 3NeeRapporteren
A decade of Barnes & Noble
Assistant Store Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  Omaha, NE20 september 2018
I enjoyed a very good career at Barnes & Noble. I loved the culture of the retail book world. I had a great team at my store. However, there are not many opportunities to move up in the company because people love their jobs and don’t leave. I also feel that the pay isn’t competitive compared to other retail. Overall it has been my favorite career path and I still love visiting my old stores.
Great benefits and discounts
Minpunten
Holiday hours and lack of advancement
Bedrijfscultuur
Children's Department Lead (huidige medewerker) –  Ann Arbor, MI20 september 2018
Recent corporate policies and less pay roll make for a stressful work environment.

>Sell books and company membership to customers
>Recover the floor and set promotional displays at the same time
>Work registers and stock floor
>Learned the keys to customer service and management, especially ways in which both are done well or poorly
>Most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers of all ages find books they will enjoy
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 1Nee 1Rapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
fast paced and fun environment
Bookseller/Barista (huidige medewerker) –  Tucson, AZ20 september 2018
the managers are flexible with your hours. Everyone is always so happy and has a positive attitude. Its such a nice place to work and grow your job career.
Bedrijfscultuur
Good entry level retail job
Assistant Store Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  Morrow, GA19 september 2018
Overall, I think that Barnes & Noble is a great entry level retail job for a part time employee. I enjoyed my time with the company for the most part until there was a change in Store Manager and I knew it was time for my exit. I will say that if you work hard and want to be promoted from within, the company (depending on management team at your store) will help guide you up the ladder. I was promoted within from Receiving Manager to Merchandise Manager and from Merchandise Manager to Assistant Store Manager in 4 years.

One of main negative opinions that I have is that Barnes & Noble is trying too hard to compete with too many retail chains. It is a bookstore, that is the foundation of the company. Most Barnes & Noble stores around the country sell A LOT of games. The retail term for them are specialties, hobbies and collectibles. One fourth of the store I managed was nothing but toys and games. I think that the business model has changed drastically due to pressure from the likes of Amazon and I hate that they are not staying true to what they are, a bookstore. With all the games they are selling in 2018, I wouldn't be surprised, if they didn't begin selling video games, consoles, cell phone cases and accessories, other company gift cards (i.e. Target, Various Restaurants, Apple Music, Clothing Stores), etc.

I think that Amazon will unfortunately put them out of business in the long run. I don't see the changes they're making as productive or cost effective. At the location I worked, there were more of those toys and games stolen than sold. Not to mention there are
  meer... a few test stores selling alcoholic beverages in their café area. Barnes & Noble is to most, a family focused retail chain where you, your spouse and children can all go spend time and relax and read a magazine or the newest New York Times Bestseller or read a picture book to your child or grab a cup of coffee. I think they have gotten so far away from what I'm sure the founder envisioned and hoped the company would be that I truly don't foresee them being around 10-15 years from now. It's like they are trading who they set out to be to try to compete with other big box retail and they are failing miserably. It's sad.  minder
Pluspunten
Room for advancement, paid time off, pay above minimum wage to part time
Minpunten
Upper management, culture, retention of good employees, revolving door
1,0
Bedrijfscultuur
Fairly easy job just assisting customers with what they need.
Stocker/Receiver/Cashier (huidige medewerker) –  West Columbia, SC19 september 2018
Working at Barnes&Noble Bookstore I have gain great customers as well as stocking,online ordering, cashier. The communication need to be worked on with management and their tone of voice when dealing with customers as well employees.
Was deze review waardevol?JaNeeRapporteren
Profiel geclaimd

Wil je meer weten over hoe het is om hier te werken?

Stel een vraag over solliciteren of werken bij Barnes & Noble. Onze community staat klaar om te antwoorden.

Stel een vraag