Reviews voor Bookseller bij Barnes & Noble

845 reviews gevonden voor deze zoekopdracht
Unpleasant and Poor Management
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Glendale, CA11 december 2017
Barnes and Noble was a very difficult place to work at due to the poor management. They were inefficient and struggled to lead employees, often times taking advantage of good employees, and abusing their power.
50% off Starbucks, 30% of Books
Minpunten
Horrible Managers, No Motivational Involvement, Little Pay.
Bedrijfscultuur
This place is great for a student....not for a serious career
Book Seller (huidige medewerker) –  Wilberforce, OH 4538411 december 2017
There aren't many benefits and the pay is really low, but if you are a college student its adequate pay. It is enough to get you some food, but not enough to pay your bills.
Fun, Lively, Energetic
low pay, low hours
Bedrijfscultuur
A lot of work goes into making a bookstore great
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  CT7 december 2017
If you love books and reading this should be a great place to work, although you'll have to do your reading on your own time. It's a common misconception that booksellers hang around and read when there's nothing to do. Actually, there are never enough hours or employees to get all the jobs done and so you're really expected to hustle.

You can expect a typical day to be a lot of running around, or at least walking at a very fast pace-always. Each day is a different challenge. Aside from answering many phone calls, assisting customers in locating their items, placing orders, ringing up purchases at the registers, and keeping the store tidy, you could spend time shelving the never-ending supply of newly arrived merchandise, taking down displays and putting up new displays, dusting the sales floor, making sure all sections are in their correct company-approved order, and assisting customers with trouble-shooting their e-reader devices.

My favorite part of the job: finding just the right book and knowing I've helped the customer, or when a returning customer let me know they enjoyed a recommendation I'd made. Also participating in or directing events for kids and families, like storytimes.

The hardest part: disappointing a customer, for whatever reason, be it that their book is not in stock, their order didn't arrive on time, etc. It can be kind of crazy to see how that might really ruin a person's day.

Another difficulty being seen and felt everywhere is online retailers. They're not going away, though, and all brick-and-mortar stores are struggling to remain relevant. It
  meer... can be frustrating to lose sales to the internet after working to assist a customer in locating their item only to have them say they'll order online.  minder
discount on merchandise
Minpunten
pushing the membership, competiton with online retailers
Limited Growth
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Savannah, GA7 december 2017
The work was fine but could be considered very repetitive. The company only hired part time staff so that they wouldn't have to pay for benefits which limits the growth as an employee
Calm environment
Minpunten
No benefits, limited growth potential
Seasonal
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Maumee, OH6 december 2017
I’m working there currently as a seasonal employee. It’s usually pretty busy and everyone is really nice. I can’t work Friday, Saturday, or Monday and they still work with me!
Bedrijfscultuur
I liked the job, but felt it could’ve been better had the company not decided to base so much of their focus on the Nook reader.
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  The Woodlands, TX30 november 2017
I love reading & so a job @ Barnes & Noble was Awesome! Sadly the corporate need to focus on greed made the job less fun. I was good at selling books, but that never mattered as the instructions were to always hawk the Barnes & Noble card & convince people they needed the Nook reader. I do have great appreciation for the Nook, I just feel too much was focused on it & feel I was proved right a few years after I left I heard the reader essentially became part of a different company. As far as the Barnes & Noble card went, I feel it was more of a rip off than an advantage & it really depressed me when the little old folks on fixed incomes that would never actually learn how to use the card to their advantage would ask for the card. While I never told them my opinion ~ I felt guilty. It’s not right to treat people that way & I’m glad I don’t have to sell that card anymore. I think it’s sad that the corporate world chooses to create cash cows like that card rather than just letting good sales people do their job of selling things people want to buy.
Pluspunten
never ending books, no uniforms
Minpunten
barnes & noble card, elf on the shelf
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 2NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Fun place to work with great customers
Bookseller/Cashier (huidige medewerker) –  Tigard, OR30 november 2017
I enjoy working with Customers at Barnes & Noble. Helping Customers find books, helping children pick out a book to read and the flexible hours are the perks working at Barnes & Noble.
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 2NeeRapporteren
Enjoyable workplace
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Lexington, KY27 november 2017
Most days are spent working either at the cashwrap or on the sales floor. Cashiers are required to pitch the Membership program to all customers and request email addresses. Working on the sales floor mostly consists of helping customers, general store upkeep, and helping put out product.
The atmosphere is pretty relaxed and the management and workers are all great. Most of the time, it's a pretty low stress job. I wish there were more incentives to go beyond the base expectations.
Raises are only available annually and there isn't a lot of opportunity to move up in the company. If you're looking for career progression, this probably isn't a great choice.
Overall though, it's a great place to work in the short term, but you will probably have to go elsewhere to advance in the retail world.
Pluspunten
Great management, great coworkers, low stress, PTO for some part timers, discounts
Minpunten
No opportunity for advancement, no incentives for extra effort, in the middle of culture shift
Productive and fun place
Bookseller/Cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Fort Worth, TX26 november 2017
One of the best jobs I've had thus far! Management was amazing, and I loved all of my coworkers! If I didn't know something there was always someone around to help me, and the hardest part about the job was trying to sell the credit card.
Great discount
Bedrijfscultuur
Very well organized work place
Bookseller/Cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Emeryville, CA21 november 2017
I love Barnes and nobles , it was very calm and collective they pay was great and the costumer service was awesome if your into books that's a great job
Was deze review nuttig?JaNee 1Rapporteren
They are okay
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Saint Augustine, FL20 november 2017
The place is alright. The management could use a kick in the pants. They like to get people from outside to take jobs from the internal employees who deserve the promotions way more.
Discounts
Low pay, no advancement
Loved working here
Bookseller/Cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Chula Vista, CA20 november 2017
My first job was working at Barnes and Noble, and I never hated going to work. My coworkers were awesome and I helping people with any book inquiries that they had.
work
book seller (huidige medewerker) –  Columbia, SC17 november 2017
If there's nothing to do or if business is too slow; they start cutting hours which cuts pay and your already making minimum wage so..just keep that in mind
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 5NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
I wouldn't work here again.
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Boulder, CO10 november 2017
Even if I was desperate I wouldn't work here again. One week I would work 28 hours and the next week I would work 10. The only good part was using dayforce to pick up shifts. Otherwise, don't work here unless you absolutely need something out of it.
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 6NeeRapporteren
Excellent Environment, Easy Work, Pay Is Not Great
Part Time Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Omaha, NE7 november 2017
I've worked at Barnes and Noble little over a year but I would not quit unless I absolutely had to. The people I work with are all amazingly intelligent and kind individuals, all with a unique personality. This is the first job I've worked where I haven't experienced any drama because the people I work with recognize that bickering will not help us grow as a team. Management is on point and cares deeply for their employees and though there is the typical corporate touch that brings a little annoyance to the job, overall it is a wonderful place to work. The only downside to the job is that the pay is not great and I won't blame the company for that. Unfortunately book stores are struggling to survive in the onslaught of online retail. Even then I have received more pay raises unprompted than at a retail establishment I worked at for 4+ years that is thriving. They care about their employees and their happiness. The job itself is not terribly exciting but if you love books and talking to people that are passionate about reading, you'll fit right in.
Pluspunten
Love my customers and coworker, the work is interesting and management cares for their employees
Low pay
The great divided
Bookseller/Cashier/Customer Serv. Rep (voormalige medewerker) –  Philadelphia, PA 191036 november 2017
Favoritism, insider hiring, low pay, inconvenient scheduling. However its always great to work with books, great discount in cafe and on sales floor. Events are not outrages!
Bedrijfscultuur
Productive and fun place to work
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  New Philadelphia, OH3 november 2017
Typically a day consists of filling text book orders, checking in shipped merchandise, stockings shelves and, most importantly, customer service. Working with the customers is one of my favorite aspects of this job. However, it can be challenging when there's not good communication between you and the customer. Such as, the return policy on rental textbooks and other policies.
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 4NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
it's book selling, plain and simple
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Orlando, FL1 november 2017
Good place to work, Typical retail, with books. If you understand retail culture- namely, the priority of income over, say, customer comfort, then this is a good place. They treat employees VERY well, and if you're a bibliophile, I highly recommend. However, if sales culture and social interactions are not your cup of tea, then I suggest finding something else.
Typical day at work
Bookseller/Barista (huidige medewerker) –  Texas31 oktober 2017
Its challenged at time but I always provide excellent customer service to anyone who need it. Working there isn't the problem, its the customers they give a hard time. Sometimes you go out of your way to help them but are still given a rude attitude.
Bedrijfscultuur
Great job for someone who loves books
Book Seller / Café Worker ( Part Time) (voormalige medewerker) –  Asheville, NC28 oktober 2017
I got this job as a seasonal cashier. I was ask to stay and I became a bookseller. The discount is great. It was hard to not use your whole pay check on books.
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 4Nee 4Rapporteren