Reviews voor Bookseller bij Barnes & Noble

915 reviews gevonden voor deze zoekopdracht
Bedrijfscultuur
Fun work environment and pleasant customers
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Springfield, NJ24 februari 2018
Altogether an excellent place to work. In general, customers were extremely appreciative and thankful for our assistance in finding books. Co-workers were very friendly and managers gave helpful training advice. Was able to learn about newly written literature and literature new to me.
Pluspunten
Worked with books, detail orientated, pleasant customers
Minpunten
Low pay, occasionally odd work hours
Was deze review waardevol?JaNeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Great employee discount, not worth the pain.
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Jacksonville, FL23 februari 2018
The general manager at my particular store was a nightmare. I called out during a morning with dangerous weather and as punishment she took me off the schedule for the rest of the week. Once my car (a big van) windows were covered in ice and she told me to stand outside in 30 degree weather and scrape the ice off with a credit card. I'm a true Floridian and that just wont fly, it's not my responsibility to ensure you've scheduled enough coverage in case someone calls out.

They would also schedule just me to shelve the entire store by myself. 12 carts, 8 shelves per cart usually packed full of books, then she'd (the GM) get upset that I didn't finish my shelving. The rest of the management team was great, they were all really nice and helpful and understanding people. The cafe' crew was awesome and I enjoyed the company of most of my co-workers. The general manager was so horrible that I resigned after 6 months of working there.
30% off books, fun job, really great cafe, 50% cafe items
Minpunten
poor upper management, no PTO or benefits
Was deze review waardevol?JaNeeRapporteren
Goal Oriented & Character Building
MUSIC SELLER/BOOK SELLER (huidige medewerker) –  Bay Shore, NY21 februari 2018
My experience at Barnes and Noble has shaped my work ethic. I wish to only see this company prosper even if I someday choose to leave my storefront. The customer service was my favorite part. Helping others find what they need and fulfilling my position brought pride to my sense of bein,
Was deze review waardevol?JaNee 1Rapporteren
Freaking Awesome
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Arkansas21 februari 2018
Great atmosphere and fantastic people to work with. Working at Barnes and Noble makes one look forward to going to work. The management is helpful and there is little workplace drama.
Discounts on all merchandise
Slacks
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 1NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Lovely managers and positive environment
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Grand Rapids, MI20 februari 2018
I work at a B&N College bookstore and my manager is the sweetest lady on Earth. I am constantly making connections with other students in the school and gaining experience. My manager is very understanding of my school schedule as well as my other job and the discount on school supplies is very useful, especially in art school.
Pluspunten
wonderful manager, decent discount, good experience
Minpunten
small store, a bit onorganized
Avoid
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Cleveland, OH19 februari 2018
I enjoyed my benefits, but was asked to have too much responsibility for the pay. My store's staff was pretty great, customers were not the nightmares I had heard about, but there were always a few exceptions.

Ability to cross train across many areas of the store, but not a lot of potential for advancement.

The decisions being made at the corporate level do not appear to be saving or keeping company in business, but to eventually close.

On a store level, it was great. At a corporate level it is same old same old. After the full time layoffs, part time employees just barely being paid over minimum wage are now tasked with picking up the slack.

Work for another bookstore, what's left of them. That, or open your own.
Pluspunten
Healthcare and benefits for FT, great team.
Most everything else
High pressure low reward
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Nashua, NH18 februari 2018
The pressure to sell memberships is insane and without any form of incentive. Coworkers are usually really nice and good friendships have been formed and customers are typically pretty pleasant as well. However, they just had a nationwide sweep of layoffs and my store alone lost four of our best employees. Since the managers weren’t prepared for it, this week was a madhouse. Part time has good hours at the moment but full timers are left worrying about job security. Many of us are currently looking for work elsewhere. Ultimately, I think it’s a bit risky to work there at the moment with the decrease we’ve had in sales, who knows whether the stores will even stay open for much longer.
50% discount on café, 30% books, 20% everything else, great coworkers
Minpunten
High pressure, unstable hours, very little job security
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 4NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Great place to get along with your co-workers
Lead Bookseller/Digital Sales Lead (voormalige medewerker) –  Roseville, CA17 februari 2018
Through Barnes & Noble I have learned how to lead a team. I have learned the value of communication within the team. Most days that are slow are filled with enough day to day tasks to still make the work day fly by. I have learned how to merchandise, stock, replenish.
Employee Discounts
It is a failing company
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 2Nee 1Rapporteren
Don't work here
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Milford, CT14 februari 2018
Barnes and Noble is a sinking ship. The company can't compete with Amazon, and it's going under fast. Because of this, I, along with all the other full-timers in the store, except for the managers, showed up to work one Monday morning to find out we were all being summarily laid-off, because we were part of an "outdated business model". In reality, our benefits were just too expensive. The company gave us no warning whatsoever, and while I understand that Barnes and Noble simply can't keep up with Amazon, or even our own website for that matter, the company was cruel, and it did those layoffs all across the country. It won't be long until everybody left there is let go soon. Additionally, the company is just not a good place to work; it's governed by incompetence, spite, and favoritism. Don't waste your time with Barnes and Noble.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 16Nee 2Rapporteren
excellent place to work
Book Seller/Café Barista (voormalige medewerker) –  Federal Way, WA14 februari 2018
A typical day was relaxed. Holidays and back to school days were quick paced. The hardest part was locating a book when the customer has no idea what they're looking for, but it a great feeling when you manage it anyway through deductive reason.
discounts, fun work enviroment
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 1Nee 2Rapporteren
Great work environment
Children's Lead/Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Tempe, AZ14 februari 2018
Wonderful place to work. Loved being around the books and cafe and the people there. However, I wish the management and company were more supportive of their staff.
Bedrijfscultuur
The best management team I've ever had the pleasure to work for.
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Fort Lauderdale, FL13 februari 2018
I had the honor of working at the Barnes & Noble store in Fort Lauderdale. The management was simply brilliant. I've worked in a lot of places over the past 35-years. Nowhere have I dealt with a more proactive, responsive and committed team of managers. Of course, everyone would like more hours, but they tell us going in not to expect that, and there are opportunities to advance. Bottom line: if everyone is doing their job everyone's job is that much easier. I was amazed at the extent to which everyone, from the top down, consistently pulled their oars in the same direction. The feeling of putting a book into a customer's hands is something special. Folks who work there take pride in their store, and that makes the menial tasks that much easier to tend. It's a great place to work, especially if you have a love for words.
Pluspunten
A great team spirit, wonderful environment.
Minpunten
Tough to get more hours.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 3Nee 1Rapporteren
Great Environment
Bookseller/Cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Weslaco, TX13 februari 2018
Great fun environment where I got to assist college students and staff with their needs for their college courses. I really enjoyed the leadership roles that my supervisor expressed. Great job especially if you need flexibility while attending college.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 1Nee 1Rapporteren
Fun and Calming
Children's Lead Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Lake Grove, NY13 februari 2018
Barnes and Noble was a fun and calming work environment. They were pretty intense about customer service and up-selling. However, you receive a lot of recognition for good work. Management was caring and supportive.
Pluspunten
Book loan program. Employee Discount. Benefits based on work preformance.
Minpunten
not many available full time positions
Was deze review waardevol?JaNee 2Rapporteren
Book Seller
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Philadelphia, PA13 februari 2018
Worked there for months.
-- Amazing People
-- Top Management listens to you
-- Friendly Atmosphere
-- Coach and work life balance
-- Compensation & Benefits
Was deze review waardevol?JaNee 1Rapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Fun at a store level but everyone hates corporate
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Surprise, AZ12 februari 2018
It is fun working with books though it is a retail job so the biggest drawback is that it only takes that one customer to ruin even the best of days. Schedules vary from week to week though they do try to have them out 3 weeks in advance. Recently hours are getting cut and additional work is being piled on the people who are there, a trend that I only foresee continuing. You really get the impression that the people making all the decisions only care about the bottom line and don't give a second thought to their hourly peons.
Pluspunten
store discount, books, fun people
corporate
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 4NeeRapporteren
stuck in the 90s but pretending not to be
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Beavercreek, OH11 februari 2018
management was soso, and managing your responses to your boss was laborious half the time but was reasonable the other half.

the emphasis on customer interactions and handselling was egregious and the focus on upselling products and memberships prevented genuine interactions with customers because the corporate motivations could not be truly veiled.

stock is generally automated by an algorithm leading to offensive displays. i routinely had to hide pro-fascist books due to customer complaints only to find them put back in their offensive places.
good discount
Minpunten
unstable schedule, minimum wage pay
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 3Nee 1Rapporteren
fabulous
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Los Angeles, CA9 februari 2018
oh my god the most fabulous ever to work at. Management is amazing! My opinion is the same as everyone! My opinion matters! Your experience at B&N will not differ from mine
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 2Nee 5Rapporteren
Fun but low-paying
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Chattanooga, TN8 februari 2018
Working at Barnes & Noble was the best job of my life. I miss it so much that I nearly cry every time I go back in to shop. The only reason why I left is that the pay is so low, you just can't survive on it. The few full time positions available were paid at the same rate of the part time ones.
Pluspunten
discount, great coworkers, great culture
Minpunten
low pay, no promotion opportunities
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 4Nee 1Rapporteren
Great place to work!
Bookseller/Cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Cedar Rapids, IA8 februari 2018
A typical day at work you would talk to customers and learn about their likes and dislikes in the literature world. The employees were very friendly. The environment is very cozy and relaxing.
Very friendly