Reviews voor Bookseller bij Barnes & Noble

1.121 reviews gevonden voor deze zoekopdracht Bekijk alle 3.971 reviews
Sorteer op: Relevantie | Beoordeling | Datum
Bedrijfscultuur
fast paced and fun environment
Bookseller/Barista (huidige medewerker) –  Tucson, AZ20 september 2018
the managers are flexible with your hours. Everyone is always so happy and has a positive attitude. Its such a nice place to work and grow your job career.
Cut-throat and unstable
TEMPORARY TEXTBOOK BOOKSELLER (voormalige medewerker) –  Pullman, WA18 september 2018
When I worked at the Bookie during the August student rush I enjoyed interacting with my fellow employees, however there was always an underlying tension since we knew that out of the 50 they had hired that they would only keep 12. We competed on the daily for the best compliments from customers, and it made it difficult to ask for help for fear that they might take the good review that could get you a job for the next year. At the end of the term they suddenly told people that they were no longer needed and were expected to leave. I felt this was incredibly rude as I felt they could have easily talk with each of us the week before to let us know if we were staying or leaving so we could start looking for the next job.
20% discount on textbooks
Minpunten
constant stress over whether they will need you the next day/week
Bedrijfscultuur
Many changes at Barnes & Noble.
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Clackamas, OR18 september 2018
A lot has changed at Barnes & Noble since I was hired. It is no longer the company that I started with. Some of the changes have created a trickle down toxic environment.
Co-workers
Company wide changes.
Bedrijfscultuur
Forced part time with little ability to move up unless willing to relocate or change job titles
Book Seller (voormalige medewerker) –  Roseville, CA18 september 2018
Pay and hours leave workers unable to pay for their cost of living, the work is stressful and often unrewarding. Corporate quotas leave even the most efficient of us feeling unappreciated and lacking. Upper management does not want to hear, and refuses to understand the position and opinions of employees. Cut hours and lead positions leaves stores understaffed and stressed; however, same quotas and sales goals apply. When work goes undone due to poor staffing, understaffed and busy stores are seen as an excuse rather than an explanation.
Pluspunten
discounts on cafe and book products
Minpunten
poor pay, no benefits, short breaks, stressful work environment, little upward mobility
Productive and fun workplace
Bookseller/Cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Topeka, KS13 september 2018
My typical day at work started with stocking new books and continued with customer service, while being prepared to assist my colleagues at the cash register.
I learned new skills in multitasking, communication and effective teamwork.
The management team does a terrific job in making sure that everything runs smoothly, while at the same time ensuring that all employees treat each other fairly and feel comfortable in the work environment.
The workplace culture passionately follows the principles of honesty, integrity and service and strives every day to become an even more successful company.
The hardest part of the job is when only very few employees are available and it becomes challenging to keep everything running smoothly.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to work together with a team of dedicated and supportive associates and making meaningful connections.
Pluspunten
Free lunches, competitive pay, product discount
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 1NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
It was a dream to be working with people who liked books and coffee.
Barnes and Noble Bookseller and cafe (voormalige medewerker) –  Dothan, AL13 september 2018
The managers were always apologizing about the poor pay that they had to work with. I would still be working there had it not been for the salary. At that time, I was afraid not to have health care and the salary alone was not enough to truly live a quality life on your own.
THat's the only reason that I left.

The workplace was great. You can always smell cofffees, cookies, books etc. People are generally in a good mood and just need a little help figuring out what it is that they want or need. All associates were helpful fun and eager to please.

We all had to be able to do each job. My lease favorite was the cafe floor and the end of the day or cleaning bathrooms. I did it though; all of us did.
Pluspunten
Being around people who were excited about books and food.
Minpunten
Very low salary. That mattered at the time. Not anymore.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 2NeeRapporteren
A Fun Place To Work
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  McLean, VA12 september 2018
Working in a bookstore is always a fun job for me. It affords me the opportunity to not only become familiar with previously unknown tome books, but also to interact with people, customers and colleagues, who enjoy those books and are knowledgeable in those fields. Working at Barnes & Noble afforded me that opportunity, as well as offering me a fun and flexible workplace.
Pluspunten
Being around books, music, and movies. Like minded colleagues.
Low wages, dress code.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 1NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Great place to work if you're OK with retail hours
Lead Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Roseville, MN11 september 2018
As far as retail jobs go, B&N is one of the best. If you love reading, talking about books, being around book lovers, etc., it's a great place to spend a day.
As a full-time bookseller, I had to spend a certain amount of time working the cash register or information desk, or walking the floor straightening shelves or putting books away. Also, I was in charge of maintaining certain areas of the store, which meant setting up planned promotional shelves, endcaps, or tables, or restocking inventory.
The biggest drawbacks are the odd hours...working nights and weekends...and the occasional difficult customer. But that's part of any retail job, and readers are usually good people so they're not a super common sight.
Pluspunten
Discount, relaxed atmosphere, fun people
Odd hours, difficult customers
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 3NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Sad to see what it's become
Bookseller/Cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Kalamazoo, MI9 september 2018
High expectations on part time employees (and everyone is part time), more work than time to do it, horrible training, bad morale, stressful. There is incredible pressure to sell over priced memberships which customers are sick of hearing about. Left alone to do the job almost right away with little training from an outdated book. They get mad when you limit your availability but they only offer 20 hours and no benefits so how are people to live unless they have another job?
Pluspunten
the people I worked with were nice
Minpunten
no benefits, low pay, difficult work conditions
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 4NeeRapporteren
Barnes & Noble
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Plano, TX9 september 2018
The atmosphere is congenial, and while there is work to do, it is not backbreaking or stressful, and it does help make the time go faster. Also, employees are allowed breaks and time for lunch.
Very friendly work environment
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Louisville, KY8 september 2018
On a typical busy day, we usually have a lot of customers come in to purchase their books and so it is essential that you be quick in finding books and other things they or even help multiple customers to help to their satisfaction.
Was deze review waardevol?JaNee 1Rapporteren
It is a bookstore
BOOK SELLER (voormalige medewerker) –  Mesa, AZ 852042 september 2018
help customers, ring up purchases, clean up behind people's kids, clean up behind adults, deal with book releases, stupid people asking stupid questions.
discount
discount
Was deze review waardevol?JaNee 5Rapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Part -timers recieve no benefits.
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Gilbert, AZ2 september 2018
While the actual work of the job was not too bad, the company policies towards part time employees were unfavorable at best. Even shift leads and management pay was abysmal.
Pluspunten
Great being surrounded by knowledgable employees and great products.
Minpunten
Short breaks, poor pay, no overtime, no benefits for part-timers.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 2Nee 1Rapporteren
Typical retail setting
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Ventura, CA31 augustus 2018
Aside from the very understanding and Cooperative managers, the environment was absolutely cutthroat. Corporate demands trickled down and make even a part-time job extremely stressful at this place.
15 min break
High, unreachable standards
Good College Job
Bookseler (voormalige medewerker) –  Tampa, FL30 augustus 2018
This job was on campus so it was very convenient. For the most part it was fun and laid back but some of the management styles were not conducive to the environment.
Bedrijfscultuur
not a good place to work if living on your own
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Beaumont, TX 7770630 augustus 2018
i have work with barnes and noble for a few years and have seen it get worse in that time. management is disrespectful, belittling, horrible with communicating changes concerning work or new policies. fail to inform employees of changes then turn around and reprimanded us for doing something wrong that could have been avoided by using effective communication,took years to get training to do job effectively.scheduling had no consistency from week to week so very hard to plan stuff outside of work. after years of work no paid vacation and no change to move up in company, no benefits. hours would go up and down showing no stable checks for people living on their own. company cut jobs to save money showing how little they value their employees. overall would not recommend this to people living on their own but more to people living at home with family.
Pluspunten
pay check works if living at home, first job material, good way to see how not to run a store/company
Minpunten
lack of consistency, bad hours, management, poor treatment of employees, no chance to move up
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 2Nee 2Rapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Decent place to be employed if you love books
Bookseller/Cashier (huidige medewerker) –  Deptford Twp, NJ30 augustus 2018
Friendly place to work
Dress casual attire
Part time shift available
Little or no advancement opportunities
Overtime only available if there is a call out
Decent employee discount
Employee discount
hard to obtain hours
Productive Fun Place
Bookseller/Cashier (voormalige medewerker) –  Hattiesburg, MS29 augustus 2018
Working at Barnes and Noble was a great experience. As a student at Southern Miss, I was able to receive deals on textbooks as an employee and fully understand the job.
Pluspunten
Discounts on merchandise and textbooks
No health benefits
Was deze review waardevol?JaNee 1Rapporteren
Great for a student
Bookseller (voormalige medewerker) –  Clifton, NJ27 augustus 2018
If you're looking for a place to earn some pocket money and you genuinely love books, B&N could work great for you. However, it's not a place where I'd tell someone they could build a career. And this is largely due to how obsessed they are about Booksellers getting people to open up memberships. Your whole job essentially rides on your sales performance with those stupid memberships. If you don't have a good weekly quota, you either eventually get let go or if you're a temp hire, then they don't keep you on.

That aside, the managers I had gave positive reinforcement and praise for jobs well done that felt genuine. The 20% discount on books and 50% off the cafe were great. And sometimes we'd hold things like employee potlucks or giveaways that were pretty awesome.

Students, retirees looking for something to do, or folks looking for a seasonal gig will probably get the most out of working here. Otherwise, if you need to support real living expenses, I suggest you look elsewhere (or find a second job to get your actual income from).
Pluspunten
Great discount on books/cafe, managers were kind, good atmosphere
Minpunten
Pay, pushing membership sales, strict about breaks
Deteriorating
Bookseller (huidige medewerker) –  Maple Grove, MN26 augustus 2018
When I started, most of the employees had been there 8 or more years. Now that I'm down to part-time, all except 4 have left or retired. The company focus changed so strenuously to "sell memberships" instead of "sell books" that it became less and less comfortable to work there. Knowing the contents of books, knowing the layout of the store, knowing how to research for customers on the computer, knowing how to ring up sales: all became secondary to our ability to talk people into paying for a membership.
The company was so slow to change its policies about online prices that it lost so many customers to Amazon and other online retailers and I don't know if it can ever recover.
Managers were always supportive, helpful, encouraging, even when they had to give lectures about us not getting enough member cards. They knew the store and the market. Most of them never hesitate to pitch in when more workers are needed, in whichever section. They were very understanding about us needing to change hours, or exchange shifts with someone, or take time off.
It's retail; don't expect to make enough to live on unless you're a manager (and maybe they don't, I don't know what they make). Full-time gives benefits but it doesn't even pay as much as fast-food restaurants pay lately.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 3Nee 1Rapporteren
Profiel geclaimd

Wil je meer weten over hoe het is om hier te werken?

Stel een vraag over solliciteren of werken bij Barnes & Noble. Onze community staat klaar om te antwoorden.

Stel een vraag