Caterpillar logo
Caterpillar

Caterpillar Employee Reviews

Showing all 7,180 reviews

Challenging, fun, innovative

People culture, innovative working process (lean manufacturing), thorough project management, teamwork, new challenges, hard working, continuous improvement

Company has great values

Worked for the company for a while. Some facilities are better than others, based on the facility culture. There are great opportunities for advancement and training, but you have to put in the work. Your career is what you make it. I've learned a lot working for this company.

Pros

Great benefits, fair pay, good people

Cons

High demand for the products, always need more employees

9 June 2021
Thanks for sharing your experience. We agree that your career is what you make of it and we work hard to provide each employee with the opportunity to succeed based on their goals and business need. Thanks for being part of Team Caterpillar.

They do business with Foreign Terrorist Organizations

They do business with Foreign Terrorist Organizations. There are still some shady operators out there. They don’t all have to be exploitative or predatory. These people who misrepresent themselves talk a good game, but only so far. They endorse practices that are frowned upon or questionable.

Cons

They don’t fight against terrorism, They try to manipulate.

Excellent work place

Excellent work place with good leadership, great environment, encouraging, harmony culture, paid fairly, growth opportunities, great staff benefits. Perfect

couldn't get any help when needed!!!!

its been a few years since I worked for caterpillar and it was a really good experience but I moved away and just recently moved back and started reapplying, was giving an interview but was told the job had been taken to keep applying so I did but instead of waiting I tried to apply at a temp agency. I called corporate to make sure I was able to be rehired and human resources said yes I was able to be rehired but when I tried at the agency, they said their Caterpillar HR was different and I was not to be hired and they was told me my fulltime interview was a mistake. I have tried to get help to understand why I cant be rehired if I am being told I can be, but no one will help.

Pros

good place to work!

Cons

human resouces will not help you when needed!

Rewarding Work

I feel my work and team make an impact. We are provided the tools to get results. We drive with passion to inspire a safer and more environmentally proactive workplace.

9 June 2021
We are proud of the experience you’ve described here. The work being done by our teams has very real impact that is far-reaching and we are glad that you recognize the power of your contributions. Thanks for being on Team Caterpillar.

Productive and fun place to work

Working in Caterpillar is good but some times due to corporate politics career of people get spoil and management doesn't notice it.No job security as top management believe only subordinates /supervisors.

Pros

Free transport(both ways)

Cons

Management Politics ruin careers of people

9 June 2021
Thanks for taking the time to share an honest review about your experience with Caterpillar. You’ve identified a few opportunities for improvement that will help make Caterpillar a better place to work for our employees. All the best to you in your next role.

Enjoyable work environment

I actually really like it at caterpillar it just seemed to difficult for me to advance. If you know people higher up that helps. If they see you working hard they will try to help you advance.

Pros

Team leads and supervisors that actually want to see and help you advance

Cons

Work becomes your life

Speed over everything.

To start off, the management will constantly preach safety and quality over production velocity but it's the complete opposite. They graded you every day, week and quarter for your "lines per hour" and if it's not to thier standards (which always increased usually every year) they'll just fire you. Safety does have some value, but they could care less about doing a quality job with minimal errors.You try your best and ask management to help you but often it fell on deaf ears and you just had to sink or swim. It's a shame, cause outside of the stressful work culture and a majority of the managers having a clique mentality when it comes to some of thier employees, it was actually a pretty good job that I liked doing. I actually wanted to stay working there, but they didn't feel the same way. Oh well.

Pros

Pay rate was good, weekly pay, benefits were good

Cons

They only care about you being fast, high turnover rate, poor culture

Long hours, lack of recognition

Work life balance has been a huge issue. Senior management has said they want to improve this for years, but yet all that is ever recognized are when people make time sacrifices elsewhere in their lives in order to complete a task, not actually making changes so that it doesn't have to happen. Many teams operate with 1-2 people less than they need and so this drives the long hours, and makes the compensation not as good. Despite this, there are still plenty of good people at the company

9 June 2021
When so much of the success of our enterprise is because of the people doing the work, we know that sustained success is fueled by proper work-life balance. We wish you had a different experience and appreciate you sharing that we have room for improvement in this regard.

Jobs at Caterpillar

See more jobs

not your grandpas company anymore

It is ok the get the established job experience to take with you in life. But it is not one to stay and try to retire from. that being said, as with anywhere now a days. keep your head down. Show up to work, you'll be fine. Learn what you can and take that elsewhere.

Pros

nothing

Cons

nothing

They blame others for their mistakes.

Management behaves very differently toward their subordinates than they do toward their supervisors. They make themselves look good at the expense of the needs of the organization. They are intolerant of constructive feedback.

Cons

Some Managers are often incompetent and perform their jobs poorly.

Does not pay the bills

Arrogant leaders fear competition. They are bullies. They take credit for the experiences of others. And then blame others when their organization is failing. Their business decisions are driven by ego.

Cons

Certain managers are Cry-Babies

Most Disrespectful Management

Arrogant people believe they have the right to own others. What you can say, what you should believe. They are manipulative. And they are always ‘right’.

Leading yourself into humility

Arrogant leaders advance their own agenda by telling others what they want to hear. Bosses focus more on getting than on giving. They expect others to serve them.

Cons

Word of mouth: wise guy in executive management within a the company.

Caterpillar

Word of mouth the company has a wise guy somewhere within the organization. Some Management have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for excessive attention and admiration, troubled relationships, and a lack of empathy for others.

Petulant Narcissists

Word of mouth they have a wise guy in a senior role somewhere within the organization. They have inflated sense of their own importance, a disregard for others' feelings, an inability to handle any criticism, and a sense of entitlement.

At the top

Management is one of the most disrespectful among the fortune 100 companies. I would describe them as “green with envy.” They may not see — often until it's too late — how pervasive their influence can be on workers morale and productivity.

Cons

Arrogant, know-it-all, and bossy.

9 June 2021
The experience you described here is not in line with the values of our enterprise. We agree that morale and productivity are heavily influenced by leadership and strive to prepare them to lead with our values at the core. We appreciate you sharing your experience and wish you all the best.

work

My whole department was laid off and the way that they went about it was wrong I got a phone call as I was on my way to work that I no longer had a job and my belonging were left with security and so of my personal affects were not in the box, that they gave.

Pros

Free Lunches, team building outings

Cons

the way the laid everyone off

Secure job with good benefits

Good place to work. Good work life balance with managers very accommodating with holidays. Decent pay for what you do. Progression available. Stable environment.

Productive place to work

Excellent place to work employees willing to help good pay and benefits long hours sometimes willing to help when needed supervisors are good to work for

Pros

Easy

9 June 2021
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are glad it was a positive one that reflects the culture and values at the core of the enterprise. We wish you all the best in your next role.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2,7K