Caterpillar logo
3,9 out of 5 stars.

Caterpillar Employee Reviews in Athens, GA

3,7Work-Life Balance

Found 153 reviews matching the searchSee all 7.180 reviews

It's a good place to work,You can move up in the company fairly quick if you put forth the effort and happen to get the right manager. There's good section managers and there are others that show blatant favoritism with no repercussions.

Good place to work.... if you keep a brown nose

I applied to work at Caterpillar in Athens because I was new to town and they seemed like they paid well with opportunities for advancement. Training was a breeze and led me to believe that I would succeed in advancing there. Once I was out of training however the immediate problems were apparent, I was given little to no training in my assembly station, and was told to watch and figure it out with just one example, and then to continue on my own. This typically would be a nonissue in an average assembly position but not so when dealing with working on multiple and various parts on a small tractor and under a strict deadline with heavily enforced procedures. Regardless I eventually got the hang of things and started to do well in my station and even got a couple others in my area down, which leads to pay raises as you get verified in working and learning multiple stations. Shortly after this I was moved to another area (which was managed by a different floor manager, and a different team lead under them) as they were short-staffed and I proved that I could learn quickly. I noticed in this area that people were overly nice to team leads and management as if they were always walking on eggshells around them lest they incur their wrath.Regardless, I once again learned my new station and was even operating ahead of schedule. Apparently I was doing so well, that I should be placed in other people's stations who were falling behind in order to pick up their slack while they would get to slack off, perhaps it was just a coincidence that these same people seemed to be favorites of the -

Pros

4 day work week M-T, Good holiday PTO for Christmas and New Years

Cons

Horrible management, Extremely toxic work environment.

Sad and disheartening

If you’re anywhere close to being on the floor it’s dull and repetitive, pay is terrible, management tries but gets snuffed out by higher ups. Don’t work here

Pros

Cheap benefits

Cons

Short breaks, lackluster work

Poor Management unprofessional

Worked here for 5 years there used to be Amazing Group managers and section mangers who really cared about the employees. Now the new bosses only care about velocity. Safety used to be number one concern but over the last two years it sadly has changed so much. Work 6 days a week, 56 hours a week for many weeks through the year and you never see an end coming to the 6 day work schedule.

Clown show

Come here for a couple months if you’re really hard up for money but don’t stay. There’s an old boys club and day shift is treated like a reward for putting up with them.

Great Place to work

Great place to work, hard to move up in your career here though. Most leadership jobs get chosen by someone their boss likes instead of someone with previous experience. Easy going job overall though.

Pros

Works fairly easy, competitive pay, laid back

Cons

Advancing your career, no communication with leadership

Safe and enjoyable

A good place to work iys safe and easy going. A pretty good work life balance with three day weekends most of the year although overtime does come into the picture periodically with parts shortages. The people here are good the company is big on safety and does appreciate its employees.

Pros

Usually have three day weekends

Cons

Short break

Great Benefits, horrible management.

Caterpillar for the outsiders seems like a great company and it does have exceptional benefits, that being said when you start you will have to put in 90 days with exceptional performance to stay; the caveat to this is that they intentionally try to weed people out so they don’t have to pay them benefits. Management is terrible and so much stress is put on production that you cut corners.

Pros

Good schedule. Great benefits.

Cons

Terrible management.

1 March 2021
Thanks for sharing that you enjoy the benefits that went along with your role. Our teams work hard to meet the demands they face, and it takes the contributions of every person on the team to get the job done.

Tney make billions of.dollars.

Great place to work as far as benefits and receiving quarterly bonuses. The company is always involved in feeding the hungry, angel tree donating and anything involved in helping the community.

Pros

Plenty of vacation time once you're approved for it.

Cons

Only allowed 3 occurrence before suspended and written up.

Lazy team leads and line workers

No one there cares abt the employees and you will do your job and the lazy employees work and only get paid for your job while the lazy employee gets to sit around. Mgrs do not care and do not care to hear abt any issues you may have. Also they delete hrs and when reported nothing is done and you lose pay.

No advancement opportunities

Pay and benefits were good. The management was terrible. The build rate was never correct. Advancement was very limited. No appreciation for going above and beyond.

Pros

Pay and benefits were great

Cons

Did not value their employees.

Pay is good

I had a good experience working with this job the management was good they cared about their employees , the pay was good working over time was good to.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Short breaks

30 November 2020
In return for hard work, passion and a drive for excellence, our employees receive competitive pay and exciting opportunities to grow in their careers. We are glad your experience was good and wish you luck in the next chapter of your career.

Application

The people are very nice and the Recruiter is also can’t wait to see what I have ahead of me never worked in a manufacturing company before but I know I got what it takes

29 October 2020
Welcome to Caterpillar! The capable hands of our manufacturing teams around the world are the reason Caterpillar continues to lead the industry. To put it simply, your work matters. We wish you all the best as you begin your journey with Caterpillar.

It’s fine.

Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Caterpillar is fineManagementManagement in general was fineOverallMy experience working at Caterpillar was good

This place is very ghetto would not recommend

This is the ghetto. No job security. Take forever and make it impossible to move up or increase your pay. GHETTO. Work schedule and production number constantly changing. GHETTO

Facility Coordinator

Management has way to many meetings. Better come in with experiance and run with it. I wore many hats multitasking. Pay was low for area. Lack of jobs kept them staffed. Great name but alot of competition.

Great

great place to work! They have family days where you can bring your kids with you to work. They also do community outreach projects throughout the year. They have a float in the Athens Christmas parade as we.

25 June 2020
Thanks so much for sharing your review. It is our core belief that the members of Team Caterpillar are the most valuable asset to the enterprise; which is why we do our best to prioritize opportunities to show our thanks through fun family days and involvement in your local communities. Thanks for doing the work that matters!

Great company too work for

Would like too work for company again but don't no if they do rehire .great people too work with its was a new plant when i started so it was alot of hire and firing

Great Opportunity

fast paced. worked with may cross functional teams . It was a plant start up so having all the resources were still being planned which slowed some projects down.

Good company to work for.

This company has a great benefits package and there are many ways to move up and get new experience. They also have programs in place that will pay for schooling.

20 April 2020
Thank you so much for sharing your experience working at Caterpillar. We are proud to offer competitive compensation and are thrilled to hear that you’ve found no shortage of opportunities to gain new experience. We believe in the value that our employees bring to the company, which is why we invest in them with trainings and opportunities to advance their education. You are appreciated!

Hated it

Please note that I worked here only as a temp employee, and not an actual full-time real employee, although I don't think it would've made much of a difference. I'm pretty sure the Cat location I worked at only hires people who initially start as temps, and they all treat you like lower than everyone else. First of all, the monotonous orientation training is 2 weeks long, which is absolutely ridiculous. All you do is sit in a classroom on a computer and go thru incredibly boring and unnecessary lessons, and then take endless quizzes on them. (Most of the lessons have nothing to do with the actual work you'll be doing once you make it out of the class.) And meanwhile, the leader of the orientation class treats you like you're in kindergarten, making you repeat the same safety training information and doing stretches as a group. The stretches don't end there, you'll be doing them every day at the pre-shift meeting once you get to your department. There's also constant safety lectures, even if the incident they're discussing happened all the way in India and doesn't apply to your department or your building at all. Breaks are only 10 mins long, and you get 30 mins for lunch. The parking lot is about a mile long, and there's nowhere to park. The building itself is also ginormous, so I suggest getting there 20 mins early. I only had one supervisor that was somewhat personable and willing to help when needed. Most of the low-level employees there were nice and friendly enough, and it seems like if you do actually get hired on for real that you can have some nice benefits and a pay -

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9