Caterpillar logo

Caterpillar Employee Reviews in Mapleton, IL

3,7Work-Life Balance

Found 56 reviews matching the searchSee all 7.180 reviews

Clock in and out

If your an office worker this is a great place to work for. If on the floor as a operator, boss or skilled trades these jobs can be a hassle. Constant shift of bad planning and miscommunication is hard to keep up with. Feel like I'm always here. Seems like there is always urgent issues instead draining the swamp. Lots of favortism and little to no growth.

Pros

Good benefits, vacation payout, overtime, steady work, quarterly performance bonus, and discounts

Cons

slow growth, favortism, miscommunication, bad planning

Official response from Caterpillar

17 March 2021
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We are disappointed to learn of some of the communication issues you experienced, and appreciate you sharing your feedback as it will help us grown and improve.

You never know why you are doing the job you are doing.

Upper management applies a lot of pressure on lower management. So that lower management will apply a lot of pressure on the hourly workers.And you will rarely have the materials or support you need to be successful.

Pros

Good pay

I see management only trying to do whats necessary to benefit themseves

if u work there,.. stay under the radar of management. We are union They aren't. They will take a person down to make themselves look better. They can change ur positions n pay at will

Pros

good insurance

Cons

lots of rules, that they can twist to their favor in order to get rid of those they font care for, Union is not helpful, Yet u pay for them to help u

was a great place to work

From the day I walked into my department I realize it was where I wanted to be I was welcomed by good people management and hourly employees the pay was more than fair and you basically wrote your own check depending wet her or not you wanted the eork

Official response from Caterpillar

7 May 2020
We are so glad that you had such a positive and welcoming experience in your factory! Our team is second to none and the work being done is critical to our continued ability to help our customers build a better world. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We wish you all the best moving forward.

Production

the workplace culture was positive. It always came down to numbers of production. Much of the work equipment was out of date and warn down but the standards were still high

Typical corperation

Challenging, job duties change daily, typical foundry atmosphere, learned quite a lot about industrial electrical systems. Work environment was dirty and smokey, but that was to be expected. Best part of the job was the people I worked with.

One of the best jobs iv'e ever had.

The management and the surrounding employess create realistic situations on an everyday basis. Working for this company opened my eyes to what the real world had to offer.

The pay and learning new things

I enjoyed working there ! I no longer work there but I had great bosses and supervisors ' I enjoyed learning new jobs ! The he was always helpful ! Great company

I enjoyed working there because i loved the people I worked with

I enjoyed working there because I liked the work. It was fun and easy and I enjoyed the people i worked with. Although, I felt like since I wasn't company, we as supplementals got treated differently than people who were full time.

Competitive

A very competitive place to work Mapleton Foundry at Caterpillar Inc. focuses of Quality, Safety, and Velocity. It is always looking to help our customers

Good job

Cat is a good job for young adults whos is college studying for engineering etc or plans to further their career. I loved it there just wish it was a better opportunity for me.

Good

Good company to work for. Great pay. Too many supplemental workers and they don't always want to convert their workers. Tends to be a lot of drama on the floor depending on dept you work in

Bad bosses

Money is decent for the work. Bosses are bad. There’s always lay-off rumors. Always worried about job security. Over all the people are nice and make it worth while.

Productive and professional workplace

Proper use of Personal Protective Equipment and when to use it. Worked with both hand and pneumatic tools, motorized pallet jacks (work savers), overhead cranes.

Not great

Management tells you what you want to hear and then goes on doing the exact opposite the company will lay you off when it’s convenient for them and move you around to other departments and cut your pay they don’t care about you you are just a number

Furnace operator

Read alloy sheets to make correct iron to pour 3500 and 3600 engine blocks. Stand on top of 3,000 degree iron and run excavators and over head cranes. Can drive fork truck. Work well with others and work safely. 7 days a week is no problem, work 8-16 hours a day.

Living on the Edge of Employment at this company

CAT is the business model champion of temp worker firings the day before conversions to company employee. If you want ANY SORT of job security, don't look here. I was converted within 5 months but still had no job security and was eventually laid off with "call back rights." Avoid this company if you want long term employment.

Pros

Company provides your PPE

Cons

Management is not strong in general, Lacking quality managers and upper managers. Toxic work environment, both environmentally and personnel.

Safety orientated

Working in a place where safety is first and is a good place to work people are nice to work with as well. Wish I would have came to work here a long time ago!

Pros

Good benefits good pay

Cons

Do not always have Parts on hand to fix machines

caterpillar is a good place to work overall.

The bad is production dictates workload. When demand is up many hours will be worked taking away from family time. You will be forced to work according to the contract.Even after 23 yrs.I was getting forced every weekend.Compensation is good and thats why I would reccomend cat.

Caterpillar is a joke

Terrible management, treat the hourly people terrible. As management reap all the benefits and bonus perks off hourly empoyees backs. Usually hire educated isiots who have no clue what it takes to work in Factory setting

Could be better

All around there needs to be a better work environment. The managers need to be managed. They need to treat their women employees with more respect. Money was good though.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9