Caterpillar logo

Caterpillar Employee Reviews in South Milwaukee, WI

3,7Work-Life Balance

Found 52 reviews matching the searchSee all 7.180 reviews

Overall decent job

Pay is good. Unfortunately a second tier wage for new hires. No raise for 10 years. Management is lost on most days. Pretty relaxed environment though which is good.

Pros

Pay, benefits, bonus, paid shutdown

Cons

Management, advancement opportunities, no raises

Not a fun place to work

Lead man lies and its personnel that is in charge are backstabbing, behind the back talking individuals.. place is very much of a headache to work at times

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Short breaks and bosses are snakes

Great Company - Plenty of opportunity

The opportunities at Caterpillar can be endless and the benefits are fantastic. Caterpillar have plenty of options for career advancement as long as you are willing to relocate for them, sometimes to remote locations although that is not always the case.

Exciting place to work with lots to do

Was a great place to work until lay-offs started taking place or unexpected terminations. Really interesting and exciting job until work was slowly phased out and everyone was laid off.

Option of working at home or going into the Office

Check my Invoicing mailbox to see if I need to Invoice out any orders (looking at this box throughout the day). Check my CAT personal email for any requests. Run reports for any errors on the day before invoicing process that is automated. Input Freight invoices, reply back to any freight vendors with questions. Create any Internal orders and/or change them, that Operations needs created. Review NextGen w/SAP to make sure the orders have transferred over without errors. Run reports on Non-EDI orders and email them out. Filing, special projects that are given to me by my Manager. Work on Aging report, checks that haven't cleared the bank, notifying the vendors via email. Open the mail and distribute.

Pros

Department Lunch Outing - Once a Month

Cons

downsizing- no internal jobs

I would never advise working for Cat, due to cutthroat corporate culture in a cyclical demand business

Unproductive meetings / projects by Corporate goons detracted from getting my job done without working non-paid overtime. I learned that when a major corporation purchases a locally managed profitable company it is time to look for a new job. Few companies invest in profitable companies and do not change anything, which would be a different outcome. Corporate department management are only interested in making themselves look needed with out regard to stockholder interests. Dismal, don't drink the yellow cool-aide. Culture after Cat buyout was unbearable. Being told how to do the job by out of state people without a clue of shop constraints, production schedules and the size of parts. The pay and benefits at Caterpillar were great at the Supervisor / Manager levels

Pros

Pay and Benefits

Cons

Caterpillar culture

Permanently laid off in Dec. 2016.

Enjoyed working for the product support team and working from home one day a week. I am adept at listening to clients’ needs and delivering the best-designed solution. My unique background makes me a strong leader for major transformation projects. I have devoted my career to developing proven strategies in order to meet or exceed client expectations.

CATERPILLAR... You are just a body

Caterpillar management is so focused on all of the drama of pushing their way of production that they refuse to listen to average common sense discussions. A lot of their culture of management is vocally anti-union and many decisions are made to break the union power hold on CAT. There have been a lot of strikes and the workers would rather spit on staff that show cooperation for the good of all. CAT will move to the end of the earth to get its way which left hundreds of us staff looking to move even though some had 40+ years of service.

Benefits

Cons

CAT culture cares for no one

Great company to work for

Caterpillar is a great company to work for, the only draw back is if you want your career to advance you must be willing to relocate. They compensate you very well and have great benefits.

Management has no clue

Disipline is the only form of comunication and management is working hard to devide workers against each other. The only time you are made aware of new rules is after some one is disiplined for it.

Pros

Union shop

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Caterpillar?

Excellent place to work

Management worked with on all levels. If you need to learn something they would send you to a class to help you. Work place was very peaceful if you didn't know how to do something you could ask and people would teach you.

Pros

lunch on site

Cons

long trips

loved it

I was so blessed and thankful to have a job like this.was everything I wanted. so sad they are moving. miss all the people ive meet.. even made it through a tragic death at the plant.

Pros

everything

Cons

death

cut throat environment

Many employees work in fear of their employment ending so they will do whatever it takes to cover themselves and make others around them look bad. This created a negative work environment.

Productive safety conscious work enironment.

A workplace without a future. Workforce has been reduced from several thousand to less than 150! I expect that trend to continue until they no longer operate in South Milwaukee, WI. It's a dangerous work environment with very heavy parts and equipment. It's good pay for the short term, but don't expect to be able to retire from their.

Pros

Good pay and benefit package.

Cons

High stress environment with heavy parts and equipment.

Shareholders come before employees.

Powerful engineering organization, Professional behavior. Interesting products and technology. Shareholders needs are placed before employee needs too often which is ironic since in our current 401k world of investment, the employee and shareholder are the same entity.

Diverse, productive and safe place to work

A typical day at work is easy going. As long as your working your not bothered. Management is fairly easy to get along with.

Pros

Great pay and benefits

Cons

Down sizing is in progress

Large company with many changes

Overall it was an interesting learning experience. Very large company that makes changes on the fly and doesn't always have a plan to handle many of the details. Last few years they laid off a lot of people due to the economy. Was not much fun being there during that time.

Pros

Good pay and benfits

The best technical experience of my career.

Caterpillar surrounds itself with smart and steady engineers who are passionate about solving problems. This is a first class company that is weathering the mining downturn reasonable well.

Pros

Great technical content for engineers.

Cons

Currently, the mining industry is struggling.

Enjoyed working at Caterpillar.

Worked with a great team on converting the Bucyrus part numbers over to Caterpillar part numbers. The team was extremely helpful and cooperative.

Work/Life balance is very good.

Compensation is very good. Medical insurance is OK. Allow employee to work from home two days a week which is nice. Coworkers are friendly and helpful.

A Great Place to Work

CAT is a forward thinking company, with excellent resources and a solid ability to adapt to changing market conditions. The compensation is above average, and the bonuses are excellent. The majority of the managers at CAT are excellent. I have found it to be a very rewarding place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9