Caterpillar logo

Caterpillar Employee Reviews for Assembler

3,7Work-Life Balance

Found 451 reviews matching the searchSee all 7.180 reviews

They are quick to judge

Alot of drama. Good pay and benefits. Work alot of overtime. Hardly work 8 hours unless maybe on a Saturday. Most time it's 10. Only get 2 breaks a 20 min and a 25 min.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Mandatory overtime and long days

Good place to work.... if you keep a brown nose

I applied to work at Caterpillar in Athens because I was new to town and they seemed like they paid well with opportunities for advancement. Training was a breeze and led me to believe that I would succeed in advancing there. Once I was out of training however the immediate problems were apparent, I was given little to no training in my assembly station, and was told to watch and figure it out with just one example, and then to continue on my own. This typically would be a nonissue in an average assembly position but not so when dealing with working on multiple and various parts on a small tractor and under a strict deadline with heavily enforced procedures. Regardless I eventually got the hang of things and started to do well in my station and even got a couple others in my area down, which leads to pay raises as you get verified in working and learning multiple stations. Shortly after this I was moved to another area (which was managed by a different floor manager, and a different team lead under them) as they were short-staffed and I proved that I could learn quickly. I noticed in this area that people were overly nice to team leads and management as if they were always walking on eggshells around them lest they incur their wrath.Regardless, I once again learned my new station and was even operating ahead of schedule. Apparently I was doing so well, that I should be placed in other people's stations who were falling behind in order to pick up their slack while they would get to slack off, perhaps it was just a coincidence that these same people seemed to be favorites of the -

Pros

4 day work week M-T, Good holiday PTO for Christmas and New Years

Cons

Horrible management, Extremely toxic work environment.

Sad and disheartening

If you’re anywhere close to being on the floor it’s dull and repetitive, pay is terrible, management tries but gets snuffed out by higher ups. Don’t work here

Pros

Cheap benefits

Cons

Short breaks, lackluster work

Desford Caterpillar

The job was extremly repetative and training was very poor the one weeks training turned out to be three days.Being sent home regularly because they didnt have parts to fit So no work no money.Agency workers get all the bad jobs a joke avoid this place.Your lucky to do a full week.

Pros

Weekly Pay

Cons

Zero hour contract

determined on meeting goals at the cost of employee

high pressure and uncompromising determination for goals to be meet no matter if it is at the cost of the moral or personal life of the employees does no honor their word single focus on profit and uncaring was once great but has fallen a long way's

Pros

good benefits

Cons

long hours and up to 6 day's with little concern for life outside of cat

9 June 2021
Our teams work hard to meet the needs of our customers because we know that their work builds critical infrastructure and powers communities. While demand is high, we believe each employee should achieve a work/life balance that works for them. We hope you find success in your next role and appreciate the contributions you made as part of Team Caterpillar.

If you can ignore obvious problems, you can tolerate this place

Cat paving is the place to go if you can just put in your 40 plus and leave it at the door. If you want to be a part of a winning culture and make meaningful changes to improve the company, you will eventually drive yourself crazy and get black balled for any advancements. Leads don't care, section managers speak out of both sides of their mouth, and group manages hate being challenged and being held accountable

Pros

Decent pay, lots of paid holidays, stability (if you're full time)

Cons

Overwhelmingly negative culture, completely apathetic leadership

Great place to work if you love money and don't mind working overtime. The 2 tier wage is not fair. The company can't be trusted.

Lots of overtime available. Management will like you if you care more about money than you care about enjoy life and family time. Pay and benefits were great, but only after working there for 10 years. When I hired in, I was promised top pay and benefits after 5 years of service. 5 years in and they changed the structure so that it ended up taking 10 years. Then 10 years later they closed the plant and moved production to Mexico and other facilities around the US. They tend to view employees as a liability rather than an asset but if you want to earn some money and job security isn't important to you, it's not a bad job. I didn't like the atmosphere during my 20 years of working for them before they closed my location in Joliet Illinois.

Pros

Money and benefits

Cons

2 tier wage system. Management's attitude toward employees....unappreciative.

Production

The workers here are not being taken care of. They work long hard hours and don’t get paid nearly what they should. Management need to take care of employees before worrying about tractors

Good pay, benefits, fun job. Only bad thing about working here is getting paid every 2 weeks

Great place to work, would definitely recommend. Very good benefits, awesome pay. I loved working here and my coworkers made coming to work everyday enjoyable.

Great place to work, leatned alot and was paid well.

Training was sufficient, pay was very good, alot of overtime and never had a problem getting the time off I requested. Most of the people I worked with were respectful and team players.

Pros

Good pay, overtime and good benefits

Cons

Ran out of parts frequently

Caterpillar

Great job to work at very busy always working good working ethic the employees are respectful everyone gets there job done at an good constant speed and we get the job done

Horrible

Would not recommend.Definitely didn’t care about working through a pandemic. Tried everything to get you to work even if you were exposed to virus.

Company doesn’t care about employees

In my opinion it is a Nowhere job that keeps you as supplemental employee until time to convert then puts you in a lower paying job that they don’t have to convert you and then lays you off. In my experience they don’t want good employees. The less you do the farther you get. Favoritism from supervisors is how you keep your job and get anywhere there. Rules only apply to certain people not everyone like it is suppose to be. Company lies. Don’t waste your time. There are better companies looking for good employees that will appreciate you.

Does have some good people willing to help you when you need a hand. Beware it is not all of them.

The company had been my dream job since I entered the workforce after I left the military. People you work with do not have an honor code or good moral values everyday. They will purposely cause your work to look as if you were not working at all,making sure drag down your production value numbers per hourly output. They will purposely hold up following thru with normal procedures and protocol when there are malfunctions and blame you for their negligence when you do ask for the formal ways of dealing with any stop and fix situation. Will usually place the blame on the new comers even if you go about fixing the situation in the correct manner and/or if you use only one functioning machine to make up for lost time troubleshooting issues; they will totally stop you from working saying its normal, yet when a supervisor visits the conflict. They just place blame on you for underproduction and make it seem like they did attempt to help but impeded you from completing your assigned tasks or job. Not very friendly environment when they find out your good at independent working circumstances.

Pros

Paid breaks, Overtime add minimum wage plus regular pay, just enough to cover taxes charged though.

Cons

Does not take care of you if you were injured on the jobs site, when its apparent that you could supercede them at the work given, They will actually hold you back from maximum potential purposely.

Horribke place to work

Was temp for around a year and now am full-time for almost 2 years. They send me home so much for medical reasons that it is ridiculous. Now they are trying to fire me because of all the times they have sent me home claiming my time was not covered. I am very disappointed because I love the work I do but with this company if you don't click with the right people you will never move up. Very hard to trust other employees or even management. Wish I could leave a better review because again I love the work I do, but this company is and has been a horrible place to work for me and many of my fellow associates. We are severely understaffed and are told we are fully staffed and that we need to ramp up production. They claim safety is #1 but all they care about is the $$$$$$ and definitely not us employees. They have even cut out the free meals they used to give us as a thank you or for holidays to save money.

Pros

Some experience

Cons

Lazy team leads and line workers

No one there cares abt the employees and you will do your job and the lazy employees work and only get paid for your job while the lazy employee gets to sit around. Mgrs do not care and do not care to hear abt any issues you may have. Also they delete hrs and when reported nothing is done and you lose pay.

Cons

Production and the great people to work around

Use to be a great place to work but really change a lot ,used to care about there employees, hourly use get bonus cut a lot of but the one thing that hurt me was when i retired Caterpillar cut my pension in half when started receiving Social Security but they did not cut the Management pension, i did not think that was right, but who am i was a hard worker for Caterpillar risk my life working for them some close cause accidents, but there use to be a time when i enjoy coming to work and putting in a good day the people i miss the most

Pros

20 minutes

Cons

10 min.

Staying busy, not much time to get bored.

Great place in terms of job security and health benefits. Breaks are short but staying busy makes the day pass faster. Not much free time and the pay is fair.

Benefits

Cons

short breaks

30 November 2020
We agree- time flies when you’re busy doing work that builds a better world. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and for your contributions as part of Team Caterpillar.

Highly reccomend

I really liked the work I did at Cateroillar. I was employed ther for 3 years. I moved to Texas. Ths is the absolute only reason I am not there now.The work atmosphere was great. I knew the scope of my job.

30 November 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience at Caterpillar. We are so glad you enjoyed it so much and are sorry to see you go. Be sure to check out opportunities in one of our 12 locations in Texas! All the best to you.

Ok place to work

Company only cares about getting those machines out. Job is very hard on the body and they want to overwork you. Coworkers are very friendly. Management is eh. Could be way better if they cared about their employees well-being more.

Pros

Bonuses, Coworkers, Benefits

Cons

Short breaks, Overworked

Not a good work life balance

They say what they need to to get you on then once you start working you realize its all lies. They wanted to fire me over missing work for my wedding when I spoke to them in the interview and to the managers and they all okayed it until time came and it was a problem, and that was an overtime day anyway not my scheduled work day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9