Caterpillar logo

Caterpillar Employee Reviews for CNC Machinist

3,7Work-Life Balance

Found 37 reviews matching the searchSee all 7.180 reviews

Overall decent job

Pay is good. Unfortunately a second tier wage for new hires. No raise for 10 years. Management is lost on most days. Pretty relaxed environment though which is good.

Pros

Pay, benefits, bonus, paid shutdown

Cons

Management, advancement opportunities, no raises

Minimal pay

I worked at Caterpillar in Dyersburg Tn 20+ years until they closed the plant. I enjoyed the friendship of my co-workers there. Each person was trained to perform their job with top quality and safety in mind. The benefits were pretty good but the production workers never got the pay raises we deserved, that went to the shareholders and management.

Pros

Pensions

Cons

Not enough pay raises.

Negative work environment

Good pay, horrible people. Management is clueless as to the process & procedure. Most are unqualified & have bad people skills. They also show favoritism & target certain employees.

Official response from Caterpillar

27 July 2020
We are disappointed to hear about the experience you’ve had at Caterpillar. We pride ourselves as being a values-based company made up of people guided by the common goal of building a better world. If you’d like to report your concerns, please contact your local HR representative. Thank you for the contributions you’ve made at Caterpillar.

Good pay not steady work place.

More than compensated for your work. Management does not value you as a person. You are micromanaged during any kind of downturn in their business. You are nothing more than a statistic when you work there.

Official response from Caterpillar

29 May 2020
We appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback. While there are always areas for improvement, we want to ensure that concerns like these are given the attention they deserve. We recommend reaching out to your facility’s HR representative to address these issues. Thank you for sticking with us through times of growth.

Good money

This is one of those jobs that everyone forgets that you are a person and not just a number.they pay very well but lay off alot and you can go from a level 4 to a 2 in one day and that hits the paycheck very hard.

Unfair work environment

If you're not one of the good ol' boys you're dirt. If you're a temp agency worked, you're lower than dirt. People have been here a long time and are intimidated by young people. So youre not treated well. Be ready to work your tail off for no recognition. The pay is great but not worth the mental abuse.

Excellent place to work.

As far as the pay and work load goes, it didn't get much better than CAT. They have great benefits and definitely know how to take care of their employees. Only problem is that it takes YEARS to get to day shift..

Different manufacturing environment than working at MMNA

Working at Caterpillar is a different culture than the Automotive manufacturing sector i was in for about 26 years, a slower paced environment and the understanding that Safety is the upmost important aspect as the products produced are large and weigh anywhere from a few hundred pounds up to maybe 40 tons.

Pros

Safety is the upmost importance

Cons

Quality and Fabrication process feedback could be better

Do not work for these people

This place is an absolute joke! Even when you do your job the management will find something to complain about. Don't take care of it's present or past employees either

Pros

Pay

Cons

Hours, poor management, alot of favoitism

just a job

was a machinist for 10 yrs a lot off ups and downs lay offs and call backs , union is week but still takes there dues , its good pay when the work is available

Ok

Good job to come in every day but like most jobs it depends on the managers and coworkers but if allowed to do your job it can be good and there can be an opportunity to grow but then that depends on the economy. this would be a good place to work but the economy is so uncertain.

Not enough job security.

Ok place to work. You may experience lay offs and job moves with pay cuts. The company is constantly restructuring its global footprint and slowly killing the skilled trades areas of their shops.

Pros

decent benefits

Cons

few chances for advancement, little job security

caterpillar

It was a good place excepy for the mangement , but that usually the case in any plant,, the people got concerns and opioions but nobody wants to listen or they do but never do anything about it..Thats the the problems the workers know what well work to get out a good product and they may have a easier or effective way to do it but you take someone higher up and the worker dont know anything or it can't be done if Mangement would really listen to the workers who do their job everyday they would have a better company and employees that want to stay and do their best for that company

Went to mandatory OT

Caterpillar is one of those companies where everything is about Caterpillar. You either bleed yellow or you don't belong. Caterpillar is too politically correct. You can't complain about a coworker or you get a poor review. You can't do things to be more efficient, I was a CNC machinist with 15+ yrs of programming experience. If you altered programs to be more efficient you weren't doing things right. They don't want the experience they want people who are just starting out, will work all the OT they want them to. Even if they are working in the 30-50% range. They give people who have tons of rework good reviews and the ones that bust their butts to make the company money poor reviews. I am not disgruntled, I chose a new career and am living the life!

Pros

Bonuses

Cons

Ot, management, political correctness, cut throat environment.

Machinist

The company holds it's employees in a continuously adverse environment and there is no need for that except to keep heat off the execs. The work stations are called cells and the barbed wire around each facility is faced inwards, so you have to appreciate them letting you know exactly how they feel about you.

Lots of hard hours

Caterpillar offers great pay, but as for work/ life balance, there is none. Last minute changes to shift and hours were a daily thing. 70 hour weeks were normal.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

No free time

was a great place to work

FG WILLSON/CATERPILLAR.this company was great to work for ..from having a share scheme and also we got xmas hamper. from making friends for life and my boss's were good to work for..the hardest part of my job was when the machine broke down ...the most enjoyable part of my job is when everything go;s ok ?

Pros

stip

good company to grow with

over all its good company to grow with it, if you looking for opportunity cat may be the place . no company perferct but here you can grow dont have to stay in same postion pay and benifts not bad

Training could be alot better, several managers need improving management skills.

I worked 5AM to 3PM shift. The supervisor manages 2 valve streams and spends only 5% of the day in my department. There is several personnel who do just the minimal amount of work to get by. Management always disciplines everyone when it is a few that don't do their job. There is no recognition for employees who do way above what is expected of them. A lot of co-workers are friendly and get along with each other. The hardest part of the job is the high absent rate of a few co-workers while management while allows it to continue with no discipline action.

Pros

good salary and excellent benefits

Cons

short breaks

Great place to work for the most part

Caterpillar, as everyone knows, is a world wide company. It provides great pay and profits every year. The unfortunate part of this company is their roller coaster lay-offs. They seem to have a good relationship with their employees on the lower level. As the management goes higher, however, the personal aspect goes lower. As to be expected from a global provider. I enjoyed my job there. I take pride in my work.

Pros

Bonuses, free safety dinners

Cons

Short lunches

I love what I do.

I have enjoyed my time with Caterpillar Inc. Now the time has come to move on after the announcement of my job being eliminated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9