Caterpillar logo

Caterpillar Employee Reviews for Design Engineer

3,7Work-Life Balance

Found 52 reviews matching the searchSee all 7.180 reviews

Productive, Fun and Recognized the efforts

Flexible hours, Team building Activities, Giving back to the community, Talent Recognition, Innovation, urge to learn, Remote login when needed and fun place to be around

A great place to work

A great place to work and lot of learnings. People and Safety are their primary focus, Work Culture was so great. There is no power distance in Caterpillar.

Pros

Work Culture and People

Company is a dying rust belt giant waiting to hop overshores

Despite touting long term growth ideals, Caterpillar makes such wonderful decisions as culling their engineers at the slightest sign of economic down turn. Assuming you ever get hired on full time and not stuck in the indefinite limbo of contract worker your hard work and effort for the company will most likely be rewarded with low pay and working conditions comparable to that of Lord of the Flies. Rumor is Cat is planning on selling the Aurora plant to dope farmers in a fitting metaphor of the times. A former site of American industry and economic success condemned to obscurity as a site of the future Feel Good Inc.

Fun Company with many Opportunities

The work and opportunities are great. If you are looking to move around, there are lots of options. You really could make a career at Caterpillar, and never get tired of what you are working on. The only downside is, as with many big companies, they are always the most concerned about their stock holders. This means when times get tough, they have more loyalty to the investors than their employees. They will often go through cycles of hiring a lot of people when times are good, and letting them go when times are bad. Not that unusual to any other large company... but just something to keep in mind.

Third Timer

This has been my third time as a Design Engineer at CAT. I appreciate there loyalty and willingness to always hire me back, however I've always had mixed feelings about working at CAT. Now that I'm older and have more experience I have to say it's a rather joyless place to work. Maybe it's the culture, maybe it's the location, but I see a change in my future.

Pros

Good benefits.

Cons

Too corporate for me.

While Bucyrus was around it was an interesting place to work with exciting new projects both of existing products and also new machines for the industry.

Design Engineers Dream Workplace

This job has got to be one of the best Engineering jobs going around. Underground Mining presents one of the last real engineering challenges! We are in an industry that due to the harshness of the environment, is really one of the last frontiers. All the engineering problems aren’t solved yet. Our customers operate in a dangerous environment with so many processes and operations that are still really challenging and our machines are right there with them. It’s hot, wet, corrosive, dark, there is impact damage, the productivity demands are high and everything has to be squashed into a small space. I am encouraged to innovate and try new things to solve tough problems. I've also got access to a huge amount of design resources, parts to use and the latest technology Caterpillar has. I have all the latest tools I need to do my job well and I'm encourage to be practical and hands on with the machines, getting involved in testing and travelling to customer sites. Were a small focussed team here but we can leverage the expertise of the global Caterpillar family. I've made great friends all over the world working here. I get paid really well and have really supportive encouraging managers who work hard to mentor and grow me. Come work with us, you won't regret it.

Decent Place to work.

Made a good salary here for many years and learned quite a bit about engine development and design. Work was sometimes difficult and demanding, but in general was more productive than many places. There were some challenging problems to solve which kept things interesting. Some engineering expertise remaining despite the economic downturn, although not as much as there could be. Many of the people working there were cooperative and hard working which is nice. Was hired on for a specific emissions development program. When the program came to completion, there was still some quality work to do, but eventually they either want to keep you or they don't and it's time to move on. Unfortunately no company is immune to all economic conditions.

Pros

intelligent and challenging work

Cons

dedication and hard work don't necessarily lead to a long term career.

Formerly Bucyrus, lower and middle management was not good.

Please keep in mind, this was a few years ago and things may have changed. Formerly Bucyrus, there lower and middle management were not good. Decisions where made on cost, and not quality. Consequently, some problems took several attempts to solve thus costing more time, money and aggravation then necessary.

Better company

The better place to work and good company, excellent work culture. working environment very friendly and excellent management team. Caterpillar provides excellent training.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Caterpillar?

excellent

its great to work with caterpillar and the manager is very friendly and very loving person and i learned so many diff things and trained lot of courses.

Great company

Great company to work for, a lot of things to learn. Good compensation and great benefits. Plenty of opportunities to advance and good work-life balance.

Poor communication from Management

Very poor management. Supervisors like to micromanage projects rather than allow decisions to be made by the individual or team. Lack of trust in their employees. Their new strategy is to eliminate direct hires and hire contract employees that they can fire at will. They are losing their experienced personnel. No care for their employees, only worried about the stock holders. All this combined will unfortunately ruin their reputation for quality product.

Fun to work

Good place to work with opportunity to grow and develop skills. One of the best company with stable management and vision to move forward on how to succeed in future.

Nice place to work without job security

CAT is good place to work with lot of learning opportunities depend up on the group you are in. it is a stress free job place but without job security.

Pros

stress free

Cons

less job secirity

Quality Checker Electrical

As i Working in Design field as a Quality checker past 3.5 years and learn about the Electrical component used for Harness and my management and work culture is good

I work for this compony for 12 years. Caterpillar has great benefits and 401K. You will learn a lot for co-workers from designing and testing.Caterpillar works as a team.

Pros

great team of people

Cons

job can get cut at any time

Productive and great job culture

Working here for almost 2 years really expanded my knowledge and is a great workplace environment. Projects were always interesting and very fun to work on.

Pros

flexible work schedule

Cons

big workloads

Good place to work but not making enough production. Very unstable company

This company is very friendly co-worker but the company is very unstable as far as job security. For the last 6 years of working with caterpillar, we have like 6 time of mass reduction.

productive, great place to learn and expand skill set in heavy earth moving machines

Flexible work hours Product development, supplier collaboration, interaction with multiple teams, attending design reviews, working with validation and test engineers, performing fit checks

Great work life/personal life balance

Mining industry downturn has affected its growth potential. Otherwise a good company to work for. When the mining industry picks up Caterpillar might do better

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9