Caterpillar logo

Caterpillar Employee Reviews for Fabricator/Welder

3,7Work-Life Balance

Found 72 reviews matching the searchSee all 7.180 reviews

You can make a living.

This company doesn't really care about you as a person cause you're just a number. I've seen people walked out on daily basis and a lot of them were good workers, some supervision I think that's there main objective. I've not been walked out but feel I could be at any time. They don't make you feel like your job is safe for the long haul.

Clown show

Come here for a couple months if you’re really hard up for money but don’t stay. There’s an old boys club and day shift is treated like a reward for putting up with them.

Don’t recommend

They literally hire people just to fire or lay-off. Literally look for reasons to get rid of people within the first 90 working days. Write ups without notice and without any warnings. They don’t tell you all the rules and will literally make things up to get rid of people.

Loved the job

Should definitely pay better. Great work environment with climate control facility. Monthly safety lunches Quarterly bonuses based on work performance

Not the worst

Its decent money for easy work. If you want to trade time for money then this is fine. Management isnt helpful and workers can be toxic. I did fine just working and ignoring it all.

Ok place to work

Decent pay, learn new types of welds like multi pass, trantision welds. Thats a lot of fun. They take a good idea like saftey and go extreamly to far with it. An insane amount of computer and classroom tests. Good quarterly bonuses.

If your a seasoned welder i wouldnt waste your time

Probably the worst job I ever had period!!!! It was supposed to be 2nd or third shift. Well if you can half way weld they put you on a twelve hour shift work two days off three work three days off two. The first five weeks I was there I did one week orientation. Then the next four weeks they put me on the floor and I pushed a broom. TThen I g

Low pay

Pontiac caterpillar is the lowest paying cat facility. Can’t transfer. Union is a joke. People are backstabbers and talk bad about employees to the managers. Managers have people take pictures of bad work and believe what someone says about who did the work. There is no accountability for management

terrible

its a terrible place to work. terrible management but good supervisors. hours were terrible with no flexibility. all focus was on products and not employees.

Love it

Great place to work I love my job they understand your daily life task and are will to listen. They also believe safety first with is very important .

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Caterpillar?

Spray welding is HOTT!!

I was a welder at Cat for a year and a half. It is spray weld and it is much hotter that regular welding. I would suggest investing in a good pair of personal welding gloves. Cat will give you everything you need to start. Boots, hood, gloves jacket and chaps. Meet many good people and learned about welding in a production environment. They use the 6 Sigma approach to manufacturing, so very structured. Pay was okay. I was in the school of thought that certified welders pay scale should be elevated over those walk-ins with no formal welding training with degree. But that seems to be a non-factor.

Great company

This is by far the best company I have ever had the pleasure to work for. They have a point system in place for absence, and work only 3 days a week at 12 hours a day. Work 36 hours and we got paid 46.

Its alright

Its alright, just show up and dont get hurt, ask for help if you need it. Be on time for everything, clocking in and out for shift start and lunches, and learn everything you can

Good work place

It was a good place to work at but some of your managers are not good they like to walk around and point out what you are doing wrong and not tell you when you did good they also got good benefits and retirement plan there and u get a bonus ever quarter

Pros

You don't have to pay for no welding stuff you can might need

Cons

Management is not all that good

Promised a career if I hire on

Was promised a career if I hire on, but I've yet to see one advancement to another position since I hired on. After the 6th interview for another position I decided to no longer work as hard or as fast as possible anymore. I watched people that didn't work near as hard get moved up because they cheesed with management while I had my nose to the grindstone. I had no AQE's put out twice what my colleagues did.

Managment

None of the managers endorce the rules. Every shift is treated differently. Jobs for certain areas are not posted for movement to a different shift time frame.

Hardest part is trying to meet the build with all these other factors that keep you from meeting it

I liked working at caterpillar for the first year but after we caught up on the build being behind from Harvey things started going down. They cut all overtime, cut back than less that 40 hr work weeks and were looking for any reason to let go of people.

parking spots for truning in ci cards lunch tix for problem solving defects

from day one cat was very nice the office personnel were very helpful the instructors gave us all the information about job titles and what they offered sent us to a welding school that gave us more knowledge on basic welding after that we were given 30 more day of weld training by their instructor.

Pros

welding bonuses free lunch celebratinos for meeting goals

Cons

medical 401k quarteerly bonuses

Caterpillar work

Was alot of forced overtime. Not a good union backing. Blocked welders from bidding out of position. Good benefits. Always a fear of layoff. Maintained a good safety practice.

Pros

Good benefits/pay

Cons

Long hour's/forced overtime

Good place

Friendly people good place to work not to much over time the management will work with you come to work do the job and every thing will work itself out

i enjoyed the people and the job

it was the cleanest welding shop i have ever had the pleasure of working in the people were friendly n helpful...the management was killing the profits tho

Pros

clean shop

Cons

they want to much sugar for a dime

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9