Caterpillar logo

Caterpillar Employee Reviews for Machine Operator

3,7Work-Life Balance

Found 115 reviews matching the searchSee all 7.180 reviews

It’s a job

The work is very easy anyone can do it. The culture here is kind of strange. There are not a lot of open minded people here. It’s just not what I expect of such a large company.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Lots of creeps

Decent pay

Pay is decent, hours are bad to start with. If you do your job better than first shift, they will target and sabotage your work to make them look better.

Machine operator

Tooling is bad, gaging is ancient and most management know but do nothing about it. Some managers are clueless as to what goes on. The machines need to be updated. The whole facility has been bleed to death for 20 years without alot of capital investment.

Pros

Two weeks vacation at the start

Cons

Poor pay, and bad culture

It was a ok place to work for

The only thing I can say I didn't like was if our line was not running they would send us home inserted of putting us some where else but other then that it was a good place to work

Pros

You worked to your self

Cons

You didn't really have breaks

It ok

It help pay the bills and help take care of my kids...I would go back if I really needed to ..I got along with my co workers I met some really awesome people

Could be a great place to work.

Caterpillar in Boonville, Mo could be a great place to work but they have very serious problems that they need to work on. The attendance policy depends on who you are and who your manager is. HR doesn't see to it that the policy is enforced equally for everyone. Management is the worst aspect of this location. Many in management are, "Good old boys," whose behavior puts the company at risk. Favoritism and inappropriate relationships are very common and it ruins the whole atmosphere of the plant. Discrimination in many forms is tolerated. Tolerance of FMLA abuse and leave abuse also does a number on the morale of the plant. I'm sure that Caterpillar plants in other locations do a better job at addressing many of these problems. Hopefully corporate will make changes to the Boonville Facility to bring it up to par with the other plants. The work is challenging and satisfying you feel that you are making a difference. Safety and proper training are top priorities. Pay is reasonable.

Pros

Safety, Training, Pay

Cons

Management, Work culture

Good job

Good place good people and always on time never late always safety first before anything always on time it’s a good job to work at around people and so much more

Official response from Caterpillar

11 September 2020
It’s great to hear that you had a good experience working at Caterpillar. Safety is absolutely critical and we work hard to implement the right policies to keep our team safe on the job. Thanks for your contributions as part of Team Caterpillar and we wish you all the best moving forward.

Write you own check.

As with all manufacturing jobs there are ups and downs due to the economy. For the most part, I was able to work 12 hr shifts seven days a week if I wanted. Good for someone who is motivated to earn. As long as you are running the parts that are in demand, management doesn’t bother you.

Pros

Overtime

Cons

Possible layoffs due to economic conditions

Productive & Learning Experience

I learned a lot about safety and being aware and alert when dealing with the many machines. Making sure if anything goes wrong with machine to report to the proper manager

Caterpillar Hydraulics

It was okay when I first started I thought. But to many people want to be the boss. To many chefs not enough Indians if you know what I mean!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When left alone, I could produce quality and on time parts

The rules change a lot at Caterpillar, but it is a forever changing Company. I don't think that responsibilities and roles are the same across facilities. There is a lot of wasted time for employees at Caterpillar and a lot of favoritism is observed there. When you bring in a two tier wage system there is bound to be trouble. The 2 tiered wage system brought about an united culture. The management on the shop floor was picked , I think, by who's friends with whom. Very discouraging at times.

Pros

Free lunches/ Chance to work non-traditional jobs

Cons

Two tiered wages

It is a good company but sometime night shift and day shift fight about who does better

I like its a good company but sometimes you don't get proper training on some of the machines and fighting with day shift about getting proper training for the machines or if a machines brakes down and you try to find out why its down day shift will fix the problem but not give any details on how to fix the problem.

Climate supervisors are nice

Nice environment cool calm and laid back friendly people and employees job pays well great Benifits plenty of breaks safe place good security overtime pay

Generally alright.

Hard work and constantly being needed to work overtime. On the upside they are constantly hiring and do provide insurance. The pay is so-and-so. They do have a nurse for injuries but only during the day.

Caterpillar offers great benefits

Caterpillar is a great place to work and has great benefits, management cared about you as a person, overtime could be a bit much at times. I would still be at caterpillar if they had not closed the plant but that's just the ugly side of business. I am proud to say I worked at CAT.

I learned A whole lot of team work and stability

I love caterpillar it’s a great experience.l learned team work , family , trust and just having fun while getting the job done . I would highly recommend this job to anyone who’s looking for a great start .

No future there

I was going on perfect attendance for 8 years. I reported a person assault me and I got fired instead instead if that person. I’m receiving the max unemployment benefits of over $507.00 a week. Something is not right, I got screwed. Lots of Favoritism there.

Poor management

Poor Management lack of information sending more jobs to Mexico. Job discrimination only certain employees are treated fairly. Under production of new products costing jobs in the near future.

Easy job, that’s about it

Easy job. Machining and operating. No room for advancement. Schedules always changing. Could be 40 hours to 60 in a week at the blink of an eye. Raises are yearly and normally are around 2-3

Pros

Easy. Bonuses

Cons

No advancement.

Productive, Relaxed, Good People

I enjoyed working at Caterpillar, I learned that I could do more things than I had given myself credit for. They thought me how to run CNC machines. I worked on the ID line for fuel injector tips. I also worked in assembly where I assembled Pump Electronic Tank Units (PETU). Most management was very proficient in there duties.

Bad employer

Caterpillar thinks they rule the word I we ould never recommend this place to work. And the union local 974 is completely worthless. The union vice president is all about him. Glad I had opportunity to tell them never again.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9