Caterpillar logo

Caterpillar Employee Reviews for Welder

3,7Work-Life Balance

Found 141 reviews matching the searchSee all 7.180 reviews

Not very productive

They allow to many people to stand around and do nothing. Theirs no accountability for people that mess frames up.

Pros

Dont have to work hard.

Cons

Fixing other peoples screw ups of your good at welding

Not a fun place to work

Lead man lies and its personnel that is in charge are backstabbing, behind the back talking individuals.. place is very much of a headache to work at times

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Short breaks and bosses are snakes

Worst working environment ive ever been part of, no moral

You can do minimal work all day as long as you do it safely, can't use your hands to do simple tasks. Always have to fix someone else's mistakes. No moral.

Great company

I enjoyed the 4 years I was a welder there. The only reason I left was to start my own business. They are very easy going and I had the best manager ever.

No advancement opportunities

Pay and benefits were good. The management was terrible. The build rate was never correct. Advancement was very limited. No appreciation for going above and beyond.

Pros

Pay and benefits were great

Cons

Did not value their employees.

Bad management

It is all about the numbers. If you have a legitimate problem with a manager there is no one to go to. HR will cover it up and you will be punished for it.

Pros

Cons

Healthcare, pay raises, management

Welder 1

● OverallIt was great all around! Loved every minute of it! Would go back and do it all over again without a second thought, wish my life experiences weren't as they are to do so...

Official response from Caterpillar

23 September 2020
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience as a Welder at Caterpillar. The doers who make up our facilities serve as the front line, bringing ideas to life each day. We wish you all the best moving forward and thank you for the contributions you made during your time at Caterpillar.

Very good place to work

Having been here for 5+ years, I would say its a very good place to work. If you are applying for just a job then it will burn you out, but there are so many places to move around and move up. The benefits, health care and 401K are all worth it alone, not to mention the paid vacation that grows over time.

Great company too work for

Would like too work for company again but don't no if they do rehire .great people too work with its was a new plant when i started so it was alot of hire and firing

great place to work

good culture environment and excellent benefits including 401k match and 3 weeks vacation after 5 yrs and 2 weeks vacation after your 1st yr. with quarterly incinative bonuses .

Pros

excellent working conditions

Cons

Management reconstruction

Do not disagree with management

They do not value long time employees. Don’t have to pay new hires as much.Safety cultural is difficult to adhere to. Every time there is a safety incident there is a new safety rule. Management makes no effort to make sure everyone knows all of the ever changing safety rules if you are gone on vacation. Punished for not knowing

hourly employees are considered bottom of totem pole

Typically supervisors have their favorite employees, supervisors are uneducated, company puts profit over everything. Employees have no input into anything. Company is so much like a dictatorship.

I found no fault. Clean environment

DOING my employment history it was good. I started my shift worked my 12 hour shift did my best in performing my job obeyed the rules then went home.good, good, good, good, good, good, good,g

Toxic environment

The trainer I had shouldn't call himself a trainer he fell asleep on top of the structure I was working on. HR did nothing to help me out, I wanted to go to 2nd shift and they said they would be feeding me to the wolves.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Not a good environment

Depending on management it can be great

The higher ups only care about customer satisfaction and not about the employees who make the product. They say they are family oriented but you can be fired if your child is sick more than 4 times in a year because they only allow 3 doctors notes . Definitely don't keep the same energy from the day you come into orientation and the actual work 2 different storys all together . .

Most tasks are tack and fit

You get payed decent to tack and fit. You will not get any better as a welder that way. Especially if you work there straight out of school. I manage to get into some spots where I am allowed to weld and fix weld defects all day. So I can't really knock something so painfully simple that pays more then most welding jobs around and offers health insurance.

Mig Welding

This is a great job. Compensation is above average Benefits are very good Inclusive environment Management creates a culture of inclusion Vacation package is good

Not a good company to work for

They like to wait at the time clock and ask you to work over or wait until you are driving home and call you back to work over. For what they pay, no thank you. And the supervisors are all out to get you unless you are a brown noser then you would be alright

Cons

Laid off a week before Christmas

Title tells you all you need to know. This is a decent enough company went you are in a job, however they will use and abuse there temporary work force and lay you off with no notice. Ruthless!!

It’s a great job

Hardest part of the job was definitely trying to impress someone since I was 17 with about 2 months welding experience welding on the biggest trucks they manufacture at the plant

Great job, a bit fickle

Was able to learn, improve and enjoy my welding skills. My managers were great I was able to learn a lot from my superiors The hardest part of the job was the work politics and favoritisms

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3,9