Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews

Alle 3.624 reviews worden getoond
Bedrijfscultuur
VBA people are great to work with
Program Director - CSRA, for VA (huidige medewerker) –  Washington City, DC22 februari 2018
Worked with a lot of passionate, hard-working people. Able to get a lot done.
VBA people really care about the veterans and getting them what they deserve.
Got things done a lot faster than I was used to with VA.
Poor management, amazing co-workers
Registered Nurse (voormalige medewerker) –  Altoona, PA22 februari 2018
Management on the CLC very poor, fear based management system, guilty until proven innocent. Not able to transfer to other positions easily or at all. Lots of mandatory overtime. You can be mandated to work 16 hours then are expected to return within 8 hours for the next shift. No 12 hr shifts, all 8 hr shifts with mandatory overtime thrown in. You feel like you live there.
Pluspunten
Vacation time, benefits, discounts, co-workers
Minpunten
Mandatory overtime, can't use your vacation time when you want, seniority system for vacation, management poor and quick to blame and use floor employees as scapegoat.
Meh
Exercise Physiologist (huidige medewerker) –  Canandaigua, NY22 februari 2018
This place would be great if they would get rid of all the non-veteran middle managers who don't know their backside from a hole in the ground. There is no accountability for poor performance. Fix those two things and this place would function a lot more effectively.
Bedrijfscultuur
Great group of team players
State of Florida Women Veterans Coordinator (huidige medewerker) –  Saint Petersburg, FL22 februari 2018
A typical day varies, it could be a very easy light day or fast pace, stressful day. During Board of Veterans Affairs travel board hearings the week gets very long and stressful. Most of the co-workers are very much team players and are hard workers.
Flex time
Minpunten
Too short of lunch break, organization is very unorganized, no SOPs, no consistency.
Great Employment.
Legal Aid Specialist (voormalige medewerker) –  San Juan, PR22 februari 2018
Great work life balance environment. Great pay and benefits. Military friendly workplace. Room for growth nationwide. Competitive work enviorment. Good benefits.
Pluspunten
Availibity for upwards mobility.
Rewarding and challenging
Night shift Staff Nurse in Domiciliary and PTSD (huidige medewerker) –  Fort Thomas, KY22 februari 2018
It is a great place to work. Rewarding to care for fellow Veterans
that have served our country. Unfortunately some individuals have been here so long they take duties for granted and it seems challenging at best to get rid of or hold such individuals accountable.
pay, benefits
Poor accountability
Bedrijfscultuur
I enjoyed working at The Department of Veterans Affairs. I started working there under a temp agency and it went from there.
Claims Assistant (voormalige medewerker) –  Portland, OR21 februari 2018
I truly enjoyed working at the Department of Veteran's Affairs. I started working there under a Temp agency. My assignment was too be there for 30 days. In that time, I was opening and sorting mail, filing,and helped out where needed.
After my assignment was up, the VA wanted me to stay on so I started processing claims. The VA was located in the barracks. I was given the choice to apply and become permanent. Becoming permanent was extremely hard. there were several written tests that had to be approved. Then came the interview. i was seated in a closed door room surrounded by 5 people. These were the top management staff who began asking me random questions and I had to answer them correctly.
When the interviewing was over, I was told it would be another 2 weeks before I received any word if I passed or filed. they had 4 positions open and of us applied. I was so stressed out waiting to find out the answer and was overjoyed when I got the position.
Pluspunten
Processed Veterans claims for payment, answered phones, took over the Liver Transplant Veterans, responsible to find a chair for them to receive Dialysis. Responsible for ordering office supplies, responsible for maintenance of copy machine, processed Statement of the Case reports, responsible for Home Health Excel spread sheet done on a monthly basis, kept track of Excel spread sheets on cost of supplies
Minpunten
Supervisor and Manager played favorites with certain co-workers who got to take longer breaks.
Bedrijfscultuur
Providing a service to veterans while battling bureaucracy
Food Service Worker (voormalige medewerker) –  Birmingham, AL21 februari 2018
Typical work day started at 6 a.m. serving veterans who were admitted patients.The most valuable things I learned were time management skills and the preparation of various patients eclectic diets.The management style used were old outdated VA policies that were not progressive enough for today's time and age.The workplace culture suffered due to these outdated policies and created a high school atmosphere that was not conducive to giving veterans the service they deserved and earned.The most enjoyable part of the job was becoming friends with the older veterans, learning about American military traditions,customs, and the impact it had on todays military.
Pluspunten
Making a veteran feel special and appreciated
Bureaucracy
Government
Accountant (huidige medewerker) –  Austin, TX21 februari 2018
I have worked for the government on and off since 1982, one of the best work forces I have been attached to is the U.S. Government. DoD and now VA are the top of my list. The benefits are amazing the supervisors I have experienced have all been superior.
benefits, work environment
Bad management
Human Resource Generalist/Recruiter (voormalige medewerker) –  Milwaukee, WI21 februari 2018
The management staff at VA in Milwaukee is very bad. I would not recommend anyone to work here. They are very unfair toward staff and definitely minorities.
Was deze review waardevol?JaNee 1Rapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
comments
Phlebotomis/Nurse support (huidige medewerker) –  St. Louis, MO21 februari 2018
its very different from my others employers.
not enough salary paid.
no team work.
supervisor is not fair with all employees.
excellent benefits
approve of vacation/sick leave
pay vacctions/sick leave
not a any team work.
Great learning experience
Secretary (voormalige medewerker) –  Marrero, LA21 februari 2018
Working at the Department of Veteran Affairs was a great learning experience. The environment is friendly and their is a since of community. It's also very fulfilling to be able to help and assist the veterans.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 1NeeRapporteren
Typical Day
Contact Representative (huidige medewerker) –  St. Louis, MO21 februari 2018
Answer and complete veterans request. The 2nd shift management staff are all nice and very approachable. As long as you are there to do your job and meet your daily quota you will not be bothered.
Was deze review waardevol?JaNee 1Rapporteren
Great mission.
Executive Director (huidige medewerker) –  Washington, DC20 februari 2018
Great mission. Challenging political environment. Many wonderful staff trying to do well in an environment that is heavily focused on accountability and less so on engagement.
work study
Work Study Student.(volunteer) (voormalige medewerker) –  Delaware20 februari 2018
It was okay while studying not a regular job was doing more of a volunteer work.
I was tasked by doing filing and customer service work.
It enabled me to learn alot about Veteran Affairs.
Bedrijfscultuur
For most part was nice job and good environment
EMC Resident Engineer (huidige medewerker) –  Silver Spring, MD20 februari 2018
Typical day was mainly covering core responsibilities for assigned job duties & participating in meetings and discussions relative to job function as an SME.
Very good
Program Assistant, Federal Government (huidige medewerker) –  1 Archives drive, room 10220 februari 2018
The Department of Veteran Affairs was very professional as to evaluate to see if each candidate meet the qualification to assist veterans with their claims
Pluspunten
Paid holidays and sick leave
lack of resources
great benefits
Registered nurse (voormalige medewerker) –  Lexington, KY20 februari 2018
A great place to work simply because it allows me to give back to my nation's hero's. Otherwise, management is difficult to work with. They refuse to allow you advancement within the company. Personally, they made it very impossible for me to work and go to school, therefore forcing me to quit, losing 10 years of seniority in this company.
the mission
Minpunten
management, no ability for advancement
Fast paced and competitive
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (voormalige medewerker) –  Kingman, AZ19 februari 2018
Overall, learned useful skills for future references. Enjoyed working with both staff and patients in the facility. My future goal is to return to the Department of Veterans Affairs as a Social Worker, given the opportunity.
Good Job
Federal Police Officer (huidige medewerker) –  Miami, FL 3312519 februari 2018
Great job If you want to be a VA Police Officer.High standards multiple weapon qualification to maintain every 90 days.

I am studying to be a Social Worker. I would like to use both job experiences.
Pluspunten
Graet pay and medical coverage.
No advancement.