Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews

Alle 3.630 reviews worden getoond
work study
Work Study Student.(volunteer) (voormalige medewerker) –  Delaware20 februari 2018
It was okay while studying not a regular job was doing more of a volunteer work.
I was tasked by doing filing and customer service work.
It enabled me to learn alot about Veteran Affairs.
Bedrijfscultuur
For most part was nice job and good environment
EMC Resident Engineer (huidige medewerker) –  Silver Spring, MD20 februari 2018
Typical day was mainly covering core responsibilities for assigned job duties & participating in meetings and discussions relative to job function as an SME.
Very good
Program Assistant, Federal Government (huidige medewerker) –  1 Archives drive, room 10220 februari 2018
The Department of Veteran Affairs was very professional as to evaluate to see if each candidate meet the qualification to assist veterans with their claims
Pluspunten
Paid holidays and sick leave
lack of resources
great benefits
Registered nurse (voormalige medewerker) –  Lexington, KY20 februari 2018
A great place to work simply because it allows me to give back to my nation's hero's. Otherwise, management is difficult to work with. They refuse to allow you advancement within the company. Personally, they made it very impossible for me to work and go to school, therefore forcing me to quit, losing 10 years of seniority in this company.
the mission
Minpunten
management, no ability for advancement
Fast paced and competitive
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (voormalige medewerker) –  Kingman, AZ19 februari 2018
Overall, learned useful skills for future references. Enjoyed working with both staff and patients in the facility. My future goal is to return to the Department of Veterans Affairs as a Social Worker, given the opportunity.
Good Job
Federal Police Officer (huidige medewerker) –  Miami, FL 3312519 februari 2018
Great job If you want to be a VA Police Officer.High standards multiple weapon qualification to maintain every 90 days.

I am studying to be a Social Worker. I would like to use both job experiences.
Pluspunten
Graet pay and medical coverage.
No advancement.
Work place
Program Support Assistant (huidige medewerker) –  Columbia, SC19 februari 2018
Work with various government applications in a professional environment. Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers a great work environment.
Chance to move forward
Reasonable Accommodation
Bedrijfscultuur
I like my job working with veterans and helping veterans too
Housekeeping Aid (huidige medewerker) –  Salem, VA18 februari 2018
My job is to make and keep the facility clean in many areas and to assist any veteran in any way I can. When I get older I want to be treated in the same nice way I treat them. I like my job.
Pluspunten
Do a good joj and do it right the first time.
There are no Cons.
Excellent place to work
Social Services Assistant (huidige medewerker) –  Atlanta, GA16 februari 2018
I am a Veteran and have family members who are veteran's I have been with the Department of Veterans Affairs for over five years. I have worked at various locations and held several job titles thought out my time. It's a wonderful place to work if you are seeking job security and its very competitive when seeking advancement opportunities. My very first supervisor told me to always remember that when the government shuts down that we serve the Veterans and we are essential personal and will all ways have to report to work. I have worked on amazing teams, with excellent supervisors, co-workers; clinical, providers, and upper management.
My favorite clinic I would have to say, was the Jacksonville OPC and of course the Red Team Primary Care. I currently work at the Veteran's Crisis Line and well it can be very challenging but the most rewarding part of my typical work day is when I am able to locate and save a veterans or civilian life who is in crisis. Anyone who knows me I am always trying to recruit people that I know is looking for and seeking employment. Every organizations has its issues and challenges, however what sets the VA apart from other Agencies is that it is always striving toward Excellence. As its just one of the five Core Values.

Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect, and Excellence. The core values define “who we are,” our culture, and how we care for Veterans and eligible beneficiaries
Pluspunten
relocations opportunites; job security; excellent benefits
Minpunten
very competitives difficult to advance unless you are willing to relocate
Na
Contracting Officer (huidige medewerker) –  Greenwood Village, CO16 februari 2018
Challenging job with a great mission. Always learning something new and developing new acquisition strategies. Great team atmosphere that includes multiple team building events every year.
Great Environment
Medical Support Assistant - Contract (voormalige medewerker) –  Tampa, FL16 februari 2018
I enjoyed my time at the Department of Veteran Affairs. I was treated very well as an employee and it was wonderful to be able to work for the Veterans.
Bedrijfscultuur
Great Department to work for.
Administrative Assistant (voormalige medewerker) –  Washington, DC16 februari 2018
I had a wonderful time working for the Dept. of Vet Affairs. I went to the VA after a promotion with the National Institutes of Health. If afforded the opportunity, I'd go back in a heart beat.
Bedrijfscultuur
Productive work environment, intellectually challenging, enjoyed working with professional colleagues and being part of a team.
Full Time, 40+ hrs/wk (voormalige medewerker) –  Boston, MA15 februari 2018
I enjoyed working at the VA and treating the patients with substance abuse issues and PTSD. I valued being part of multidisciplinary teams and supervising interns. I found it very rewarding to work with the disenfranchised patients who devoted so much to our country. I had many opportunities to engage in many professional responsibilities that only added to my growth as a psychologist, including evaluations for patients seeking service connected disabilities. There were many opportunities to be involved in professional conferences and presentations. The VA had many research interests and the richness of conversation and opportunities for learning were unending.
Pluspunten
Diverse clinical opportunities; professional development; opportunities for clinical growth
Minpunten
My expertise was clinical, this particular VA was more research oriented; career advancement for me was limited.
Excellent place to work
Graduate Intern (huidige medewerker) –  Pensacola, FL15 februari 2018
I have nothing negative to say about working for the VA. We have so many veterans returning home from deployment in need of services, and not enough employees to meet the demand.
Government work environment
Program Specialist GS9 (voormalige medewerker) –  Los Angeles, CA15 februari 2018
A fast paced work environment. You will be required to work outside of your job description. Veterans will receive preference points once a DD214 is submitted.
Food Service Worker
Food Service Worker (huidige medewerker) –  Durham, NC14 februari 2018
The management is not the best for communication. I learned how to intermingle with all different people. The most enjoyable part of the job is lunch and close of day.
Bedrijfscultuur
VA was the on site location, where I worked as a Contractor for another company
Records Management Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  Washington, DC14 februari 2018
Typical day at VA was busy, stressful, very unorganized, always a backlog of documents and projects/assignments that were not completed or unfinished until a later date. Deadlines not met. Managers made too many changes. Lots of work, but no systematic process for completion. HR Department had (2) Directors within a year in a half time. Learned different strategies about archived records management, HR staffing and classification; Onboarding and Orientations for veterans and new hires. Contractors sat in a designated area with negative comments regarding their employment status. There was nothing hard about the job, just their procedures of not completing and finishing task assigned was hard for me and my work ethics and style. My supervisor had never managed before and her style was hard on everybody due to her numerous personalities, adjusting and patience was always needed to maintain, strive and be successful in your position. My enjoyment working there was I never lost focus of who I was and how I did my daily assignments. I also enjoyed working as a team player but mostly independently as much as possible. Also we could come to work on flex-time, so I enjoyed coming in on the early shift. Our initial Contracting company was good.
Pluspunten
There were occassional brunches, lunches and parties which the contractors were invited or ask to attend afterwards
workplace culture
Human Resources Assistant/GS (huidige medewerker) –  Hampton, VA14 februari 2018
Nice place to work, not too much to tell. I've only been here 6 months. They hire often, especially for veterans. They take care of veterans, so look out for job postings on usajobs.
two breaks, 1/2 hour lunch
nice people
Okay place to work
IT SPECIALIST GS (huidige medewerker) –  San Francisco, CA 9412113 februari 2018
Management: Leaves a lot to be desired.
Workplace culture: fast-paced and laid back.
Hardest part of the job: not having the tools necessary.
Most enjoyable part of the job: serving those who serve veterans.
Good pay and benefits
Minpunten
Constant state of flux and poor leadership
Bedrijfscultuur
Too much waste of time and no responsibility
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (voormalige medewerker) –  Dayton, OH13 februari 2018
Too many lifetime employees who know how to milk the system. Management will not correct employees because they will run to the union and complain. As long as you come to work and fill a seat you can do whatever you like all day long. Some of the clinics were up to three years behind with no reason to be. Witnessed staff yelling, cursing and being vulgar in front of patients on a daily basis. I was so disappointed with my coworkers behavior and the lack of accountability. Our Veterans deserve better!!
Working with Veterans