Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews

Alle 4.582 reviews worden getoond
Sorteer op: Relevantie | Beoordeling | Datum
Learning Experience
Information Technology Specialist (InfoSec) (voormalige medewerker) –  Hines, IL 6014126 september 2018
While working at the VA they have given me the opportunity to advance my skills as IT Specialist (InfoSec). The training I received interfacing with stakeholder and partner enhanced my ability to communicate with people on all levels. Sharpen skills in the area of VPN (Rescue and Citrix). Write knowledge documents for other technicians and user as a subject matter experts. Create SSL for servers and troubleshoot issue; assist user with PKI and PIV encryption issues.
Ability to learn more
Hurry up and wait
Caregiver
Primary Caregiver (voormalige medewerker) –  Manchester, NH26 september 2018
Worked at home as a caregiver to my husband. I took care of him and met with a social worker at the VA annually. It was a stipend I received, not official employment
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 4Nee 2Rapporteren
Horrible management!!!
Registered Nurse (voormalige medewerker) –  Miami, FL25 september 2018
A place where I lost most skills, lacked autonomy, and was guided by residents who had recently finished their basic training. Only a handful of attendings had a bit of knowledge. There existed little comradery between the different shifts, days vs. nights. Usually, the weakest nurses would try to outdo the ones with more knowledge by badmouthing them in front of doctors and managers. Management seemed nonexistent. When patients did poorly, usually due to poor medical care or preexisting conditions, the nurses were blamed for the matter. The hardest part of the job was trying to get patients to survive where there existed such lack of knowledge all around. Only a few nurses really knew and understood the concept of good patient care. On a rare occasion, a well-trained resident from Jackson would be on duty. A plus included the supervisors who didn't disturb the staff like they do in other hospitals. Floating all over the hospital, while short-staffing the home unit, was a big problem.
Benefits and salaries.
Too much favoritism!!!
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 8NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Having to pay attention to detail and support veterans needs.
File Clerk/Data Entry (voormalige medewerker) –  St. Louis, MO25 september 2018
Must be willing to help veterans and their families with issues of medical and claims to help the veterans receive their benefits and or family members who have survived agencies veteran.
Pluspunten
Off on weekends and all holidays
Minpunten
Very slow paced lots of paperwork
Nice coworkers
Lead Civilian Payroll Technician (voormalige medewerker) –  Columbus, OH 4321924 september 2018
my coworkers were friendly. i enjoyed working at the Columbus, Oh VA. the hardest part of the job was the fact we were dealing with people's money, their livelihood and i wanted to do the best possible job i could.
Bedrijfscultuur
I worked at the VA for almost seven years in different capacities as appointed to do so.
Medical Social Worker/psychotherapist (voormalige medewerker) –  Miami-Dade County, FL24 september 2018
I was the home care social worker for the spinal cord injury department as well as being a controlled substance inspector. I traveled between 100 ans 200 miles daily to visit veterans, assess their needs and coordinated with other professionals to ensure optimum results for the veteran's care. I was part of an interdisciplinary team and attended weekly staff meetings to discuss patients needs, progress, issues, etc. I also participated in MS training, crisis management and intervention for veterans and their families/caretakers.

I loved this job even though it was extremely stressful but it was incredibly rewarding to know I could make a difference in a veterans life. My base of operations was the Miami Office.
Pluspunten
I was provided with a company car to use during the day to visit the shut-in veterans.
Minpunten
There were always issues between management and staff.
Good Place to Work
Clinical Research Assistant (voormalige medewerker) –  St. Louis, MO23 september 2018
I had a great opportunity with this organization. My research was able to take flight and the staff associated with the VA made it easy to publish my ideas. I was given a great opportunity to work on my research while I did my normal work as well.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 2Nee 2Rapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Horrible corrupt place to work STAY AWAY.
Senior Veterans Service Representative (huidige medewerker) –  Houston, TX23 september 2018
All the stories you here in the news are true. There is rampant corruption and nepotism. It was one of the worst mistakes I have made. TOXIC WORKPLACE.
Nice environment
Homeless Veteran Outreach Coordinator (HVOC) (huidige medewerker) –  Indianapolis, IN23 september 2018
I've really enjoyed my time with the Federal Government, Veteran Service Rep and Homeless Veteran Outreach Coordinator. Spending 12 years in a productive environment.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 5Nee 2Rapporteren
Great for Job Security
Manager (voormalige medewerker) –  Washington, DC23 september 2018
Job security is great if you can get through the door. Incompetent employees hire new incoming incompetent staff who are not Veterans and don't understand the Veteran culture. They say how they hire 40% Veterans, well I have news for that. The majority of Veterans in the entire VA Workforce are janitorial or support staff making 40,000 dollars or less. You can't live off of that nowadays, especially in expensive areas. Thats why you have some employees who are Veterans living in their vehicles on site overnight every night. Managers are very unqualified for what they do. If the Director of the facility finds you corrupt, you will move up quickly. If you are too smart and know a lot about Veterans and how to make the place run well, you will get knocked down and not allowed to get back up. Forget about promotion opportunities, you will soon be identified as the face who knows too much and then you have to leave VA to gain upward mobility. VA doctors complain constantly about their patients, how Veterans are annoying and ask way too much. VA doctors take a lot of time off, resulting in long wait times for patients. Patients don't get their medications on time because of this, especially important ones like heart and lung. Wait times at the pharmacy are about 1 hour long if you are lucky. Cafeteria food is terrible. Fried chicken, sodium filled sandwiches, grilled cheese with fries, reuben, hot dogs, hamburgers, sodas for lunch. They promote healthy lifestyles but the medical center cafeterias lead to long wait times in the ER because of obesity and poor nutrition habits. No one  meer... person can manage 172 hospitals and 1200 outpatient clinics. VA will never change unless they hire qualified people. But more than likely if you are qualified and know too much, and you are a Veteran, you're not getting hired. Employees who aren't Veterans don't like Veterans.  minder
Health Insurance, 401K
Minpunten
Employees Abuse Veterans, GS Pay Scale results in no negotiations, private sector has better pay, managers are horrible and unqualified
Bedrijfscultuur
Good
Sr. INFORMATION SECURITY ANALYST (huidige medewerker) –  Austin, TX23 september 2018
Good place to work. There is an opportunity to work from home ( Has to be approved by your Manager) No hustle for parking. Quiet and great atmosphere to work.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 4Nee 2Rapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Decent place if HQ would keep out
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (huidige medewerker) –  Lubbock, TX 7941222 september 2018
We work well and solve any issues, When our higher headquarters sees our success, they get jealous instead of celebrate them. It is almost as if they don't want us to succeed.
a typical day at work
LVN/LPN (huidige medewerker) –  Austin, TX22 september 2018
review schedule of patients for the day, make sure exam rooms are stocked, greet patient upon arrival identify patient by at least 2 identifiers (name full ssn or dob). obtain and document vital signs, brief assessment of need for appointment and document, review labs, medication lists, radiology orders completed. any outside records received and immunization status. room patient for provider to exam. assist provider with examination if needed. Exit patient to scheduling staff to assure follow up appts. are scheduled. clean exam room in between patients.
standard day
very busy at times
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 5NeeRapporteren
Poor
Phlebotomist (voormalige medewerker) –  St. Louis, MO20 september 2018
Poor customer service. Poor hiring practices. Poor accountability.
The buddy system is not good for hiring processes. The focus is no longer on the veteran, and attitude toward veterans is poor. I've never seen so many people work so hard to avoid working. "It's not my job" is never a good answer.
Review
Medical Support Assistant (MSA) (huidige medewerker) –  Neuropsychology and Memory Clinic20 september 2018
It's a great place for benefits and career if your trying to have a stable place to work. We do need to hire more staff because work load is stressful at time for employees.
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 7NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
It was a great place to work
Voucher Examiner (voormalige medewerker) –  Denver, CO20 september 2018
My job was pretty easy. A lot of office politics are played since it is an office environment. I stayed away from that and just did my job and went home.
Fast paced, diffrent routine
Unit Manager/ Administrator I (voormalige medewerker) –  Miami, FL19 september 2018
• Overall service delivery of the office, internal process management and company policy adherence.
• Collect, count, and disburse money (when in Travel Dept.)
• Coordination of onsite surveys, corrections action plan and compliance strategies.
• Collaboration with senior leaders in developing and implementing department changes to comply with regulations and standards.
• Resolve customer complaints and answer patient questions regarding policies and procedures.
• Provide employees with guidance in handling difficult or complex problems and in resolving escalated complaints or disputes.
Answer telephones, direct calls, and take messages as needed.
Compile, copy, sort, and file records of office activities, business transactions, and other activities.
Operate photocopiers and scanners, facsimile machines, voice mail systems, and computers.
Compute, record, and proofread data and other information, such as records or reports.
Maintain and update filing, inventory, and mailing and database systems. Schedule and confirm patient diagnostic surgeries as needed.
Greet visitors, ascertain purpose of visit, and direct them to appropriate staff. Interview patients to complete documents, case histories, and forms such as intake and insurance forms as needed.
Receive and route messages and documents such as laboratory results to appropriate staff.
Compile and record medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
Hire, makes recommendation for hire, and evaluates direct reports.
Records and distributes minutes of Board of Director meetings (as needed)
Ensures
  meer... compliance with all safety standards and regulations.  minder
Pluspunten
job stability, different duties every day, etc.
Minpunten
the veteran employee ratio was too much and resulted on poor and slow service
Bedrijfscultuur
The VA is a place where your career goes to die
Systems Administrator (Contract) (voormalige medewerker) –  Hines, IL19 september 2018
Life for a contractor is different than a tenured government employee. That being said - the individual at the VA isn't really important. This place is full of glad handlers, suck-ups and brown nosing foreigners. I was shocked to learn that this place was like the United Nations in terms of ethnic backgrounds. It was almost to a fault that there is an unusually large population of minorities that work at the VA.

Management is wholly inadequate in terms of vision, talent and leadership. Most of the directors and assistant directors are not even seen. I worked for systems in the IT department, which houses full blown losers that have to sell themselves into this situation due to lack of opportunities in the job market. The software is ancient. The techniques used are laughable. There is however a strict cache of policy and procedure rule to follow and document. The only saving grace is working on enterprise wide networks but most of it won't help your skills nor advance your career.
Stability
Minpunten
Pay, benefits, ancient technology, too ethnic, management must be on Zoloft
Was deze review waardevol?Ja 4Nee 4Rapporteren
Great Benefits
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (huidige medewerker) –  Hines, IL19 september 2018
Great benefits
Good pay
Love working with the veterans
Able to combine my administrative knowledge with my clinical knowledge
Weekends off
Holidays off
Could Be a Better Place
CAREGIVER (huidige medewerker) –  Battle Creek, MI19 september 2018
Although I don't work inside the building, I have grown to learn how bureaucratic this place can truly be. Trying to coordinate care for a veteran, even if it is just with their doctor is like pulling teeth. The time it takes for nurses and doctors to respond to urgent matters is alarming and it leaves you to take it upon yourself to get pushy with other employees to care enough to do their jobs. I enjoy helping veterans, but the VA is a great example of a place that deters people from trying to or wanting to.
Profiel geclaimd

Wil je meer weten over hoe het is om hier te werken?

Stel een vraag over solliciteren of werken bij Department of Veterans Affairs. Onze community staat klaar om te antwoorden.

Stel een vraag