Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews

Alle 3.371 reviews worden getoond
I love my job
Certified Nursing Assistant (huidige medewerker) –  Bonham, TX 7541814 november 2017
This is the best job I have ever had! Great people, wonderful pay and insurance, and management is wonderful. I would recommend anyone to the VA. Its worth it!
Government Bureaucracy at It's Worst
Pharmacy Technician (huidige medewerker) –  Marion, IL14 november 2017
While the majority of my coworkers care deeply about the Veterans in our charge, too many strongly entrenched managers with selfish agendas stand in the way of an excellent standard of healthcare.
Minpunten
Short to nonexistent breaks and lunches
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 4Nee 1Rapporteren
medical support assistant
Medical/Program Support Assistant/Scheduler (voormalige medewerker) –  Denver, CO14 november 2017
good place to work. nice people in charge and the same with coworkers. I learned alot and would go back. They seemed to care about the coworkers and managers,
My wonderful work experiene
Medical Support Assistant (huidige medewerker) –  San Diego, CA13 november 2017
My typical day is a very pleasant one, as a I am able to meet and greet veterans and show my love for all people. It can be very busy, but it is what I like as it makes time go fast. I have learned that working at the VA is totally different than working with the active duty and families. I have a greater respect as I see so many of the people who have given their life and freedom for us and now I am able to provide excellent service to each one that comes my way. The hardest part of the job is not being able to fully help when they need it the most, like with making appointments or being able to provide transportation so they can get to a much needed appointments as many of them do not have family and my heart breaks. I never realized how so many veterans are alone with no one to care or love them. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to bring a smile, or hold conversations with some of the veterans as majority of the time I may be the only one who will listen to them for that day.
pay
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 7NeeRapporteren
Different work environment
Contract Specialist (huidige medewerker) –  Eatontown, NJ13 november 2017
Like many government jobs it is extremely bureaucratic. This gets extremely frustrating extremely fast. There is a great opportunity for fast advancement though.
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 2NeeRapporteren
Observations Bed
Nurse/ Surgery (huidige medewerker) –  Puerto Nuevo, PR13 november 2017
Surgery Ward with medicine observations beds; the patients came very ill and there was not much nurses to gave optimum care. I loved my job but I think we need more employees
Good Salary
Not to closer
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 1Nee 1Rapporteren
Great Opportunity
Military Service Representative (huidige medewerker) –  Atlanta, GA13 november 2017
Working for this federal agency was one of the most rewarding opportunities to continue to serve this great nation. I have served this great nation for over 30 yrs and the Department of Veterans Affairs gave me that opportunity.
na
na
Bedrijfscultuur
management seemed to have no control over inadequate or rude employees
Medical Records Specialist (voormalige medewerker) –  Backside of Tripler Army Medical Center13 november 2017
Most of their new hires from the veteran pool with disabled people who are obviously not adept in the necessary job skills. Ex-cons, drug addicts and definitely alcoholics were hired without minimum training or self-respect classes. They don't reward hard work with promotions or certificates for distinguished or outstanding performances.
Kept busy
Minpunten
Upper management never listened to lower management
Bedrijfscultuur
Excellent culture that supports veteran care
STAFF AUDIOLOGIST (voormalige medewerker) –  Ann Arbor, MI11 november 2017
Many opportunities to learn and grow with continuing education, diverse patient population, and collaboration with medical staff. Veterans are grateful and technology is cutting edge.
Pay
Sometimes short staffed
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 2Nee 3Rapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Excellent Care and place to work
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (voormalige medewerker) –  Tampa, FL10 november 2017
Team Nursing, Pxyis medication distribution, Mobile computer carts, numerous medications 5-15 given to clients, wound care, bowel care, Iv Therapy, Blood Draw, hanging blood, Rehab, SCI, TBI, ALS, MS, Radiation Therapy/Chemotherapy
Excellent career ladder raises
Minpunten
poor management training/ stagnant theories
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 4Nee 1Rapporteren
Taking Care of Our Veterans
Transportation Assistant (voormalige medewerker) –  Anchorage, AK10 november 2017
Taking care of our veteran population is the number one priority when working at the VA. However, there are times when work becomes frustrating, but mostly is and enjoyable experience;
Different Events
Short Lunch Breaks
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 2NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Stressful work environment but good coworkers
Medical Support Assistant (huidige medewerker) –  Salt Lake City, UT9 november 2017
Department of Veteran Affairs is a great place to start if you need experience but the lack of job openings and career advancement with the long stressful work environment can take its toll.
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 8NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
Extremely professional and military oriented government agency
Supervisory Contract Admin.-Program Analyst (voormalige medewerker) –  Fredericksburg, VA9 november 2017
The DVA is the best place to work, especially if you are former military or the spouse of military. They pride themselves on meeting the needs of veterans and look for every opportunity to hire veterans or family members of veterans.
Pluspunten
The workspace is professional yet cordial.
VA Volunteer experience
Patient Escort (huidige medewerker) –  Los Angeles, CA8 november 2017
I have been volunteering as a Patient Escort since December, 2016 so that I can say that I have experience in a healthcare setting. Patients, my coworkers and department staff have expressed their appreciation for my efforts and dedication in performing my duties. I enjoy the setting and being able to contribute to quality patient care.
Pluspunten
Working in a pleasant environment
working for no pay
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 3NeeRapporteren
Medical Assistant (voormalige medewerker) –  Newport, VT8 november 2017
The VA has a lot to offer. You can gain a ton of experience. Everyone that I have worked with at the VA were really great at their jobs and made a really good work environment.
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 3Nee 1Rapporteren
Toxic Environment
Program Support Assistant (voormalige medewerker) –  San Diego, CA 921618 november 2017
I am sure that other departments within the Department of Veterans Affairs is a great place to work and strive to excel. In the department I worked in it was a very toxic environment. Everyone in the section has been trying to leave to another section or department since they have been there. The leadership was very strict and had no room for flexibility.
Pluspunten
It is federal employment so you can retire, you can also buy back your active duty service if you do plan to retire from he federal government.
Minpunten
Short breaks, short lunches, no flexibility, parking situation sucks right now.
No Two VAs are the Same
Physician Assistant (huidige medewerker) –  Winston-Salem, NC7 november 2017
There is no true profile to describe each and every VA - the culture and work environment can vary immensely. I started out in a clinic where all the patient-care teams worked to help each other, nurses as well as providers, patients were well taken care of by a staff that actually wanted to work. Management shared information and treated us with respect. We worked hard, but it was for something good.

Now, I work at a different VA, same basic type of department but pretty different. Management doesn't communicate changes or new information, and if you have any questions reminds you that they'll tell YOU what do to. You're working for them so that they"ll get their bonuses. Several of the doctors call in sick every week due to overwork. Nurses leave their shifts early to avoid having to take care of late walk-in patients, and no one calls them on being AWOL. Don't expect to have any ambition - jobs are filled according to who you know not what you know. If you're a hard worker, they begin to dump everything on you without letting you know what their plan is.

Most patients are very nice and appreciative, but a large percent are very entitled and demanding, regardless of medical conditions.

Salary wise, the VA pays less than the private sector.

Vacation time is very good!

Best part of the job is caring for some awsome, delightful veterans.

Worst part if being treated like an anonymous cog in the giant wheel called the VA.
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 11NeeRapporteren
Honor to have served.
Patient Services Representative (voormalige medewerker) –  Hines, IL7 november 2017
It afforded me an opportunity to services those men and women who sacrificed their lives in order to have the freedoms we currently enjoy. a very gainful experience one which has given me opportunity to meet some extraordinary people over the course of my career.
Pluspunten
The oportuity to challenge ones self.
Minpunten
Really? We're talking federal government.
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 4Nee 2Rapporteren
Worse place to work at
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (voormalige medewerker) –  McAllen, TX7 november 2017
My experience is that management is always getting better positions and better salaries while entry level positions have no way to prosper and stay in the same position with no way to advancement. Yet they are the front line, they are in contact with the veterans every day. Where is management in all of this? That is the real question?
Great friendships
Poor management
Was deze review nuttig?Ja 9NeeRapporteren
Bedrijfscultuur
terrible environment to work in.
Inpatient Pharmacy Technician (voormalige medewerker) –  Cleveland, VA7 november 2017
employees and management are continuously arguing and fighting creating interdepartmental turmoil. very hectic place to work. high stress. lack of management. no communication. no team-work
good benefits