United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Found 22.727 reviews matching the search See all 22.728 reviews
4,0
The experience was great , I learned a lot and grew there.
Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJ16 October 2019
Working at the post office , I became a stronger person and it molded me into an adult. I met some great people and the whole experience was good to me.
Fun work place
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LA16 October 2019
Learning how many areas they cover and how many people rely on there mail.Alot of machines that processes mail different but but cant do anything without the people. Very productive job and people friendly A+
Usps
Supervisor Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Corona, CA16 October 2019
Working at USPS was a very fast paced and exciting experience. I know that as you gain experience there the opportunities to advance are available to you. This company has always been in a state of constant change. Being able to see the changes and adapt to them is an important part of your career.
2,0
Toxic environment starting with management
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Virginia16 October 2019
The postal service has become a toxic environment starting with management. There is sexual harassment, even though the organization claims zero tolerance. Supervisors are encouraged to target employees and bully them. The union use to intervene and competently represent employees in these and other issues but the union is now weak and in many cases is complicit.
Run!
PSE Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NY16 October 2019
Management is a joke absolutely no communication. I wouldn’t recommend working for the post office at all .. the more your nice and think your helping them they are screwing you over.. you will have absolutely no life
4,0
fast pace and competitive but slow to move up
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Virginia16 October 2019
A typical day is very fast and stressful. But once you get a route down it moves faster and faster. You work by yourself most of the time- i found listening to music while casing helped to keep me focused.
I learned time management and how to be extremely organized.
Management was not the greatest. It was one sided most of the time and it was all about not getting on list and getting back by 5. They claim they "care about your safety" but in all honesty they do not. They care about not getting sued and making sure you are within the limits. Be prepared to go through all weather. The heat is brutal in the rolling oven you are put in. The snow is an adventure i always dreaded because no doubt i would get stuck. I was told one winter that i was on my own if i got stuck. I almost injured myself that year.

The hardest thing about this job would be the expectations they throw at you within the first few weeks by yourself. This job is hard and it almost felt like being thrown to the wolves. You will cry and cuss but eventually it does get better and easier.
The most enjoyable part of this job i found was that you were around family with other carriers. When you had a problem- personal or work related- they were there to lift you up and help you. You may not get this at all offices, but i was in a small office.
Pros
good pay and benefits, competitive
Cons
stressful, weather elements, safety
5,0
Productive and fun work place with cafeteria
Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OH16 October 2019
Hard work , fact pace but good money.Good management. Good workplace culture. The hardest part of job is long hours. But good money with 24 hours cafeteria, break rooms and coworkers.
2,0
Not a good place to work if you don’t like drama
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Manasota, FL15 October 2019
If you’re passive and you don’t like drama, you won’t do well here. Coworkers and management will go after you like a junkyard dog if you mind your own business and just try to get your job done. Anyone can accuse you of anything and you never get a chance to defend yourself.
2,0
The job isn't for everyone and even they'll joke about it to you.
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL15 October 2019
Do not recommend. Rain, sleet or snow the mail must go. The managers and supervisors could care less about anything health related unless you pass out on the job.
Very Stressful, Fast Paced, Poor Management
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Former Employee) –  Flower Mound, TX15 October 2019
A great place to make income but a really hard place to balance your personal life. Every day is variable until you have made a full-time employee. The atmosphere can be overwhelming at the beginning because you have to have good memory and organization skills.
Pros
Compensation, Benefits
Run!
CCA MAIL CARRIER (Former Employee) –  Buckhead, GA15 October 2019
I wouldn't recommend the Atlanta District USPS to my worst enemy! You are expected to deal with harassment, antagonizing, bullying, and a hostile work environment just because! Everyone says that's just how it is, that's how it goes. When you make regular it'll get better...no I'm straight. Who in their right mind can deal with this 5-7 days a week? The Atlanta District Union for CCA's is a joke! The stewards are in management's pocket! Don't get hurt on the job...they'll threaten your job if you want to report your injury!

JUST.RUN.AWAY....DO.NOT.APPLY.
Pros
Overtime is 1.5 for anything over 8 hrs and 2x for anything over 10 hrs IN A DAY
Cons
Usps atlanta district as a whole
post office
Temp Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Billings, MT15 October 2019
Worst place I’ve ever worked. The management is horrendous. Most the managers don’t even know how to perform the jobs that they are suppose to be over seeing. It’s ridiculous. Have never experienced anything like it.
physical job
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Prattville15 October 2019
hard work, very phyisical job. Must have own vehicle to deliver the mail in. Work in all weather conditions. Must not be scared to work very hard and long hours
5,0
Very productive fast pace time flies
Mail Handler Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY15 October 2019
I love working for usps.. it’s a friendly /comfortable environment they recognize the employees work ethics. I was there working seasonal which was for only like two moths and they reward me for perfect attendance and my great working skill.
Pros
U get to dress comfortable
Cons
It was seasonal
Stress free environment
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KS15 October 2019
I worked at the REC which has since closed down. It was an easy, good job with decent pay. Expectations were clear and they had a good management staff.
Time Consuming
Postal Carrier (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DE15 October 2019
Everyday, you must organize your mail in the order it will be delivered
you must gather all important documents such as certifications that will need to be signed.
1,0
The manager are the worst I've ever work for
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TN15 October 2019
I love my job as a general expedite because I get to meet different people and learn about all the different personalities which people have and most of the drivers just need an ear to ear listening.
3,0
Work is consistent. That’s it!
Mail Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NY15 October 2019
The work is the easiest thing to accomplish. Everyone is very clique-ish from management down to clerks and mail-handlers. Pay is meh and it changes depending on what grade you are. I was a level 6 but because I used certain equipment to complete tasks I was paid as a level 7 for that task only. You accumulate paid leave by how much you work. I think every pay period you’re awarded a day or 8 hours.
United States Postal Service
Mail Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lithonia, GA15 October 2019
It's a job, the United States Postal Service is what you make of it. Its fast paced. Compensation and benefits are good. It's good to meet people and be able to work independently your growth will depend on it.
Full time Hours require Hustle
Rural Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blairstown, NJ15 October 2019
If you are hired as an RCA, you are only guaranteed you assigned route's days off, so either 1 day a week or 1 every other week. You will be out in terrible weather, trucks don't have A/C and some don't have heating. My office requires to me to work from Black Friday up to and on Christmas Eve with 0 days off. The trucks are not built for the parcel load we get now.

As for co-workers and management, that depends on your office. My current Postmaster is a complete idiot and NEVER should have been given a clipboard. He was only promoted because he would bow to District's will. They rarely promote Clerks or Rural Carriers, so most of management ends up being ex-City Carriers. Did I mention there are THREE different Unions and contracts? Oh and the Rural Union doesn't support their subs, I don't have health insurance, sick days, paid vacation, and am NOT considered Career Employee, so I can't even APPLY to shift elsewhere in the agency.

The job itself can be stressful, packages and mail can become overwhelming, I can't tell you how many times I've been forced to deliver in an unsafe truck, broken frame for example, and just overworked. They pressure you to work Sundays as well so you won't really have a solid day off.

You can make this job have full time hours if you have the Hustle or are "lucky" enough to be in an office that is perpetual chaos.You can work in other offices and get hours that way. You can also transfer to other offices permanently, but you will be on the bottom of the seniority list which is the ONLY way to become a full time employee. So yeah, be warned,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

3,5