United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Found 22.759 reviews matching the search See all 22.760 reviews
good place for advancement
Manager District Office (Former Employee) –  Essex Junction, VT18 October 2019
Reliable place to work. Clean and safety first priority. Great pay, Typical day was to evaluate mail volume, number of employees to handle mails. Check to see need of overtime required. Once completed, check emails needed to proceed with processing mails. Meet employees at time clock to assigned duties for the evening. Talk to maintenance on any equipment issues. Walk a beginning tour to see of any safety issues and personal issues. Once completed back to office to see if any errors in time keeping of previous day, previous shifts. Learned Microsoft environment use.
Pros
steady work.
Cons
long hours standing.
Stressful and fast-paced
Rural Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NE18 October 2019
This was a stressful and fast-paced job but I felt supported by co-workers. I was also required to travel to eastern Nebraska for 2 weeks for orientation.
1,0
Worst work environment ever. Employees treated like dirt.
PSE Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Billings, MT18 October 2019
Worst place I've ever worked at in my life. No training at all. False promises by supervisors who target employees. Just an awful experience. The processing plant in Billings is run by people with no leadership skills. No wonder they have such a low retention rate. What a weird place.
Pros
Cons
Supervisors have no leadership skills and are rude. No training. NONE
Productive Environment
Mail Handler Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA18 October 2019
Workplace fairly easy to manage
Always on your feet
management poorly unorganized
Employees create a work friendly environment
Great opportunities to advance Career
Management was terrible
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pine Castle, FL18 October 2019
Management is terrible at USPS. They are rude and treat you as if you don’t matter. The job is great for someone if they do not have other qualifications or don’t have a college degree. You can make a great career st USPS as long as you’re okay being treated as if you’re just a number. Management is constantly looking for a reason to fire anybody. If you keep your head low and don’t voice your opinion you will be fine.
Terrible place to work
City Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Simsbury, CT18 October 2019
If you're willing to give up any personal time you may have or want, this might work for you.
If you have a mate to help with the income, share home responsibilities, and doesn't mind you working 6 days a week at undetermined hours, this might work for you.
If you don't mind getting added responsibilities daily, and no more pay, this might work for you.
If you don't mind the stress, and supervisors nagging you constantly, this might work for you.
Pros
Paid time off. Earned time
Cons
No outside life
Good benefits poor management
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MS18 October 2019
It’s a great job as far as pay and benefits but the lack of integrity and the objective of coming to “work” and not be treated as a pariah is far beyond their comprehension. It’s a very messy and unbalanced environment
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Micromanaging
3,0
Not the best position for a single parent with young children
PSE Clerk (Former Employee) –  Blue Bell, PA17 October 2019
Working for usps is great, but it's a strain on family life. I'm a single parent, and I was tardy getting to work and tardy picking up my kids. Stress
Pros
Stability, compensation
Cons
Very early hours, not family friendly, don't really care if you're a single parent
Highly stressful due to Mgmt
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TX17 October 2019
Deliver mail via foot & car. You are not allowed to speak to people you meet along the way or help them. Time is what is most important to the Supervisor at PO in Brownwood.
Mha
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IA17 October 2019
Loads, unloads, and moves bulk mail and performs other duties incidental to the movement and processing of mail. 1. Unloads mail from trucks. Separates all mail received from trucks and conveyors for dispatch to other conveying units and separates and delivers mail for delivery to distribution areas.
Pros
everything
Cons
short break
3,0
fun working environment only if you work fast
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Former Employee) –  Aptos, CA17 October 2019
Not going to lie, I did like working as a rural carrier associate (RCA). For me, delivering the mail/parcels was fun. The people there are great, honest, hard-working people. However, I had a difficult time casing the mail and organizing the parcels every single morning before going on my route. For (1), they do not allow their RCA's to use their scanners to get their parcels (100 or more a day) organized, unlike the CCA's who do get to use them (and they get paid more to use the scanners). It would take me a couple of hours to get the parcels organized so I could at least get them all delivered. (2) It would take me more than 6 hours to get the mail AND the parcels delivered to all the addresses (see #4). (3) RCA's do not get benefits after a year, they do not get an union like the city carriers, and it is really hard work.... My back started to hurt after my shift was over. (4) After a certain amount of days (they say 90 days but management says 5 weeks??), they will only pay you for 8 hours of work... So, if you work more than 8 hours a day as a RCA, then you will only get paid those 8 hours. I was outraged bc I was working long hours and it was taking me awhile to get a hang of getting the route done on time, so it was very discouraging knowing that I will not be getting paid hourly. The only benefit to this "evaluated hours" is that if you finished before 8 hours, then you could get off of work early and get paid for 8 hours.
Pros
Delivering the mail is fun
Cons
evaluated hours, independent organization of parcels, no benefits
Overworked
Rural Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Springfield, IL17 October 2019
Overworked, exhausted, unhealthy environment. Management is better at writing up employees then keep them. Large overturn and hostile work environment.
Pros
Money
Cons
not healthy, exhausted and overall I started to hate getting up to go to the place.
Won't replace retirement jobs
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, IN17 October 2019
After employees quit they won't fill the positions and make other co workers pick up extra job load. Management will try to work very few people to get way to much mail out.
4,0
The experience was great , I learned a lot and grew there.
Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJ16 October 2019
Working at the post office , I became a stronger person and it molded me into an adult. I met some great people and the whole experience was good to me.
Fun work place
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LA16 October 2019
Learning how many areas they cover and how many people rely on there mail.Alot of machines that processes mail different but but cant do anything without the people. Very productive job and people friendly A+
Usps
Supervisor Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Corona, CA16 October 2019
Working at USPS was a very fast paced and exciting experience. I know that as you gain experience there the opportunities to advance are available to you. This company has always been in a state of constant change. Being able to see the changes and adapt to them is an important part of your career.
2,0
Toxic environment starting with management
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Virginia16 October 2019
The postal service has become a toxic environment starting with management. There is sexual harassment, even though the organization claims zero tolerance. Supervisors are encouraged to target employees and bully them. The union use to intervene and competently represent employees in these and other issues but the union is now weak and in many cases is complicit.
Run!
PSE Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NY16 October 2019
Management is a joke absolutely no communication. I wouldn’t recommend working for the post office at all .. the more your nice and think your helping them they are screwing you over.. you will have absolutely no life
4,0
fast pace and competitive but slow to move up
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Virginia16 October 2019
A typical day is very fast and stressful. But once you get a route down it moves faster and faster. You work by yourself most of the time- i found listening to music while casing helped to keep me focused.
I learned time management and how to be extremely organized.
Management was not the greatest. It was one sided most of the time and it was all about not getting on list and getting back by 5. They claim they "care about your safety" but in all honesty they do not. They care about not getting sued and making sure you are within the limits. Be prepared to go through all weather. The heat is brutal in the rolling oven you are put in. The snow is an adventure i always dreaded because no doubt i would get stuck. I was told one winter that i was on my own if i got stuck. I almost injured myself that year.

The hardest thing about this job would be the expectations they throw at you within the first few weeks by yourself. This job is hard and it almost felt like being thrown to the wolves. You will cry and cuss but eventually it does get better and easier.
The most enjoyable part of this job i found was that you were around family with other carriers. When you had a problem- personal or work related- they were there to lift you up and help you. You may not get this at all offices, but i was in a small office.
Pros
good pay and benefits, competitive
Cons
stressful, weather elements, safety
5,0
Productive and fun work place with cafeteria
Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OH16 October 2019
Hard work , fact pace but good money.Good management. Good workplace culture. The hardest part of job is long hours. But good money with 24 hours cafeteria, break rooms and coworkers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

3,5