United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Found 22.705 reviews matching the search See all 22.707 reviews
Good place to start
Sales and Distribution Clerk (Current Employee) –  Clementon, NJ9 October 2019
Requires dedication and extreme flexibility. A bit difficult to move into other opportunities unless you find favor with someone there. Not a professional environment.
Do not recommend.
USPS Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MI9 October 2019
I have told people that have asked me, I do not recommend the Post Office. They do not care about the workers and will work you to the bone, because they know you will do the work. Working crazy hours during the whole year, and then even more crazy hours during the holidays. Usually a minimum of 12 during the holidays.

And if you want to go to school, they make it nearly impossible. They don't work with you.

At my office, we get the schedule a day, maybe 2 days in advance if we are lucky. And they only except a request for time off a week ahead of the date you want off. If it is further out, you may as well cancel your plans. They will either forget or say the needs of the Post Office are above your requested time off. And then you just waste your money on your flight, reserved hotel, or whatever else.

Pay is good, but not worth it.

Another thing, I do not see the Post Office being around, at least to the extent it is now, in 30 years when I would be able to retire.

Do not apply at the Post Office, unless it is a stepping stone.
Productive work place
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Hartfield, VA9 October 2019
It was a great experience. It help me come out of my shell a lot. I enjoyed the people on my route and my home office. The only drawback was that I wasn’t close to home
Pros
Love the people on my route and the office
Cons
The pay wasn’t that great and I had to use my own vehicle
Horrible management
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC9 October 2019
Very hostile work environment and if you care about your sanity don't apply.
No benefits for years.
Work hard, no appreciation.
Management don't care about you.
You are just a warm body and replaceable.
Cons
No benefits
4,0
Hard work and long hours
Holiday Clerk Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego County, CA9 October 2019
I worked as an HCA (Holiday Clerk Assistant) for two Christmas seasons at the Post Office in my area. It's a great way to lose some weight and put on some muscle in a short time because it's the most physically demanding job. Throwing boxes, moving equipment, and loading and unloading semi-trailers was pretty much what the job was as I was assigned as a Dispatch Clerk, i.e., loading dock. Sorting packages for final delivery and distributing box mail was also part of the job.

Pay is not bad for what it is, and there's lots of overtime. Since I regularly got my 40 in per week, plus a few hours OT, when they had me come in for a sixth day in a week it was all time-and-a-half for 8-10 hours. You're limited to 60 hours per week. It's a union shop so you work under union rules even though you're not required to join the union.

Management is old school. Too many people think they're the boss when they have no actual authority. Several managers were on-duty at any one time, and it wasn't unusual for two different managers to tell you to do two different tasks at the same time, or two different ways to do the same task. Every manager had their priority tasks (Do my task first!).

Overall, though, the best holiday job out there. Great way to make some cash in a short period of time.
Pros
Quick cash for holiday work. Can lead to secure, long-term employment with retirement.
Cons
It can take several years to establish yourself.
4,0
Work to make this a good job.
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Orange City, FL9 October 2019
The USPS is a good place to work. For the most part the work is easy but there are days when you will become exhausted and find that at 5:00 pm you still have an hour to go. The day starts in the office getting ready for your day's route. Knowing the job and the shortcuts here will save a lot o time later. Delivery can be quick or not. It's all about pacing. I set goals to be at this place by this time. When I can take an extra short break for a washroom or a soda I will do that. Management will typically not call me or ask me to help. They also do not regularly offer me help on days when I know I will be late. But I have a great route with caring thoughtful customers many of whom I greet by name. They offer me drinks and snacks all throughout the day.
the money good
Nashville - Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN9 October 2019
if you can deal with horrible management, being talk to any kind of way,
working 10 to 12 hours shifts 6 days a week and no work life balance. the usps would be for you.
Awful.
Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CA 955019 October 2019
Full time DiOSS 1 Operator. The Eureka Main Post office is the worst place to work. Poor management, low morale, machine failure translated to clerk failure to management. Co workers (for the most part) were mean, vindictive and awful. I would never seek employment from them again. Even $18 an hour can’t make me stay. Especially in California.
Ok job
Mail Handler Assistant (Current Employee) –  Franklin Park, IL9 October 2019
Not enough advancement opportunities.
The employee are overworked and sometimes treated poorly. The company is great to be a part of.
It's the work environment that needs work.
Pros
Financial stability
Cons
Mental stress
Avoid
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NY9 October 2019
You are expected to work non stop. A very clickish environment. Management is deplorable, vindictive, sneaky, dishonest. A stereotypical union shop. Never mind your performance just stay around long enough.
Great job
Machine Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OH9 October 2019
I enjoyed working at the P.O. The machines kept me busy, and you were allowed to wear your headsets, so you could listen to your music and get your job done. There’s times when you will have overtime, so if you want to make extra money, you can sign up on the overtime list.
Pros
Great company, great pay and benefits.
Cons
Just like every other job, it’s not perfect. There’s lots of people, lots of personalities, just stay focused and stay positive and it can work.
Enjoyed my days
Sales & Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Eupora, MS9 October 2019
Very fun when I was a carrier, then later about 5 years ago there was management issues. Postmaster did not try to find me lunch relief for 6 1/2 weeks. I worked 11 hour days with no breaks. I developed Anxiety attacks.
Pros
as a carrier, go home as soon as done
Cons
sometimes no breaks
ok
Custodian (Former Employee) –  St. Johnsbury, VT9 October 2019
ok the post office is a good place3 to work as the checks keep coming in,their is little layoffs and the pay is good,not great but not bad either thanks
2,0
Over worked and under paid
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, OR9 October 2019
Very stressful work atmosphere with next to no recognition for your efforts. Zero work life balance with unrealistic time restraints.9+ days of work before you get a day off...
2,0
Great place for bitter people
Tractor trailer operator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX9 October 2019
If you are bitter, don't like to speak to people but stare them down or simply incompetent this is for you. People brag about seniority but their knowledge doesn't make their skills. If you want to be micromanaged or forced to do the job of 3 people. Stay away.
Winter is rough
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Madison, NJ9 October 2019
Hard work but it pays off. It has it high points and it has its low points. If you follow the rules life will be easier. As a carrier I feel we literally carry the Post Office.
4,0
It was a secured & dependable job
Mailman (Former Employee) –  City island,bronx9 October 2019
I did 20+ years and never had any problems or accidents, and rewarded for job well done. You are required to work all the overtime you are able. I would come out of retirement and work there again.
Pros
Own boss
Cons
Management too bossy
Not for everyone
CALL CENTER REPRESENATIVE (Former Employee) –  Troy, MI9 October 2019
In my opinion the post office is unorganized and could care less about their employees. I worked there for six years and I feel like for someone who was committed to a company for a fairly long time I was not treated human
2,0
Tough Job, have to have thick skin to survive
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CA9 October 2019
Mail carrying is a tough job. Be prepared to be sore, tired and have very little social life.
Best advice, go in, do your job, go home. Don't bother with any of the drama
4,0
It is important to have a balance life
Supervisor Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO8 October 2019
Very fast-paced work environment. one would have to be able to catch on very quickly with high comprehension. The hardest part of being in management was not being able to engage with every employee. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I can connect, coach, and engage an employee to explore the possibilities of upward mobility.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

3,5