United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Mail Carrier

Found 6.257 reviews matching the search See all 20.327 reviews
it was a great job
MAIL CARRIER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX17 May 2019
physically wise its a good job if I want to get out into the nature and get to know fellow people while working that has questons about the postal service I had to come in at 4-5 am help sort mail from two trucks every morning till it was time to deliver at 10 am .. sometimes the supervisors are lazy and do show favoritism at time but if you want the job you have a strong mind and understand the job as a whole safety is top priority
Lifelong Career but...
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  South Bend, IN17 May 2019
As a letter carrier for the USPS, it is a lifelong career, but...I started my service too late in life. The work is hard, but rewarding. The customer connections are rewarding. The comradery with fellow carriers is enjoyable. The work is relentless and hard on the body.
Pros
wages, benefits, retirement
Cons
Wear and tear on your body
5,0
Great place to work with great job advancement
Letter carrier (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, CT16 May 2019
I loved being a letter carrier it gave you the opportunity to demonstrate your skills everyday.there were daly challenges and great way to stay in great fisical shape you have one on one personal relationships with your customers.and you were always challenged with new technology
Fun, productive day
mail carrier (Current Employee) –  Gate City, VA15 May 2019
Loved working here, just wanting something less physically demanding. Having to have a vehicle and fixing it for the job get very tiring. Looking for something that I can still retire from.
Misleading
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CA15 May 2019
Was very excited to start working for the usps. Had good training, good instructors. What I want to let anyone know who is considering this position is that I’d want to be a CCA (mail carrier) you will start out with no benefits, hours are not promised, and you are basically on call. At the academy I was told that I could be working up to 60 hours. 6 days a week. So for me I was happy to hear about working so much. But when I actually got to my office it was nothing near to that. Once you’re at your office you get 3 days of on the job training and then after that you are on call. So if you have a mortgage, kids, or need any type of security this isn’t going to be the place for you. For 2 weeks they told me to not come in because they didn’t need the help. This would be a good job for someone who lives with parents and had a bill or 2.
Cons
No security when you start out.
4,0
Hard Job, but once you learn it it’s ok
Postal Carrier (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OH15 May 2019
Great place to work, but it takes a toll on your body.
The pay and benefits are good and you get ever main holiday off with pay. Down side long hrs and you have to work Saturday’s
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Long Hrs and have to work weekends
5,0
Good place to work once you learn how to do everything.
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Maineville, OH15 May 2019
Loved the fast pace work and challenging responsibilities.
Worked with very nice people.
I learned the proper and best ways to be most efficient in the daily routine and required duties.
hardest part of the job was learning to case the dps and everything you have to memorize.
Driving, being outside, and customer interactions.
3,0
high paced , stressful work environment
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VA15 May 2019
consistent work, delivery and handling of large quantities of parcels and mail, upkeep of delivery vehicle. Not very much time off during holiday season.
not a bad place
carrier (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH15 May 2019
they put way to much stress on a carrier in the o.o. No matter how hard you worked they tried to get more out of you. Pay and benefits were good, and that it worth while.
Pros
pay. benefits
Cons
very stressful
hard work
Rural Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Apache Junction, AZ15 May 2019
all aspects of working for USPS was very hard work. I should have applied for point of service,not carrier. The trucks do not have a/c. that was too hard to do in the summertime in apache junction az.
1,0
Very stressful job
Mail Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL15 May 2019
The money is good but money isn’t everything and due to working here I have faced more than a handful of events that I feel I could have handled better and accordingly if I had the time. I am actually in a process of recovering from anxiety depression due to how overwhelming my role can be and the lack of time I have for my 2 year old.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
No time for important appointments or child’s life
Job Life of a Letter Carrier is Taxing
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJ15 May 2019
The hourly pay is the best benefit of the job with the ability to get 1.5x hourly pay overtime if you desire. The con is you do not get to choose if you want overtime or not, you sign up for an overtime list or an 8 hour only list and they disregard the list and do not work the people who want the overtime into 2x overtime money because they want to make their offices spend less money so they make the workers who just want 8 hours of work to work longer.
Additionally they created the term "undertime" doing extra work with no extra allotted time, they harass you when you do not run your routes and do things super fast, they use a lot of scare tactics. They value quantity of work done of quality of work which is why no one likes the post office now.
The starting time when I was hired was 7am but then got moved back several times to 830am, it is horrible that it changes later with no option to you.
The job wears on you physically and they do not care, expect to be yelled at for being to old and broken and told to quit often.
They demand respect but act shamelessly, they lie and act like children.
Once you get use to the money and health benefits you will find it hard to leave this place.
Pros
Reduced insurance costs, hourly pay rate without degrees, still get paid during government shutdowns
Cons
Undertime, Harrassment, Made up rules, your starting and ending hours change
Plantation style work
Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Texas15 May 2019
The starting hourly pay is okay but you have to wait a long time to become a "regular" where you can enjoy some benefits (medical, dental,etc.). Until you make regular you 're just an hourly worker with no clear time frame on if and when you'll be promoted.
1,0
Worst Job Ever
USPS Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Katy, TX15 May 2019
A typical day at work in the post office is beyond stressful .
I learned that you have to know who you are to work there . If you dont know yourself or self value , it will cause you to destroy your thought process .
Management is one word , poor .
It is a very unsafe and bias workplace culture .
The hardest part about the job is the top of the morning , having to deal with so many attitudes from so many insensitive managers .
The most enjoyable part about the job is making the money but the only bad thing is you never get to spend it .
Not
Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MD14 May 2019
Give you a route that takes 9 hours to do so you have no choice but to skip lunch break. Then if mail is light one day force you to do part of another
Pros
Money and benefits
Cons
Everything else and back stabbing supervisors
Mail carrier
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI14 May 2019
My typical day at United States Postal Service is very fast paced. Meeting new people & delivering mail. You have to watch for dogs & be very watchful of your surroundings do to high crime in certain areas.
Good Job
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas14 May 2019
This job has been good. I have enjoyed all of the walking I do. The city I work in has some really hard routes compared to the surrounding areas. The pay is pretty decent, the benefits are nice at first but not as good as a career employee. Advancement is hard, you have to be in your position for a while before you get your own route, years. Transferring is almost just as difficult as well. Overall the job is good, just beware of the holiday's you don't get very much time off at all.
2,0
Temporary until a postition opens up
CCA- City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, OH14 May 2019
It is sink or swim at the post office. Not a whole lot of direction or training. Management is no help at all if you can even find them. Long hours and work everyday of the week.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Very long hours
Quick paced and productive
CITY CARRIER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Centralia, WA14 May 2019
Great working with USPS.The work environment and teamwork that is striven for is very good. You get compensated well and the management is very lenient towards personal unexpected events that may occur in your life.
3,0
Good pay good cowirkers
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CA14 May 2019
Post office is a dinasaur and will be out of business in the next ten years.. Big pkan is delivering amazon packagesand is the number one priority todays postal carriers
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Stress levek high eork you 20 dsys in a row inclufing sundsys

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

3,6