United States Postal Service

United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Rural Carrier Associate

Rural Carrier Associate3.185 reviews
Found 3.185 reviews matching the search
3,0
This job isn't for everybody due to the brutal work conditions, fast paced environments and unpredictable work schedules.
4,0
rigid work schedule, had to get all of the mail delivered each day no matter the weather or the roads. Had to drive your own vehicle and also drive on the right side of the car.
Pros
later start time
Cons
Have to use your own vehicle
1,0
The rural route that I ran had racist people on the route! Everyone on the job was from the town besides me! I got 3 days to learn 904 mailboxes. It was the hardest job I ever had in my life! Using my own vehicle to drive! Delivering mail from the wrong side of the car! Definitely rethink working in your vehicle! No lunch and no bathroom! Smh
Pros
Good money
Cons
Unorganized
3,0
The work was fairly easy. Took a while to get the hang of things and once out of the office it was nice yet the management could care less about the employees. Good pay but would work a lot of hours. During holidays get ready for 12-15 hr shifts. Started my days at 5 am ended them around 9:30-10:00 pm with maybe 1 day off if lucky.
Cons
Management, work hours
2,0
Managment is rude and demanding, hours are unpredictable and your expectations are unreasonable, your mental health is at risk, and you will have absolutely no life outside of the postal service
1,0
This was by far the worst job I have ever done. I managed to stay with it for two years & never felt more happy to quit a job after I left. You really don’t have a life. If they call & you happen to answer, they expect you to drop everything & come in. They’ll put you on a route that you’ve never done before & expect you to know it without any help. Full timers get away with a lot & don’t help Part timers. Most of the supervisors are only looking out for themselves.
3,0
There is deception in the job descriptions. I was looking to only work part time and due to the union contract, I worked full time. I was hired for a part time job. The amount of stress on that job is far above what people can do. They failed me.
Pros
The customers
Cons
Volume expected from employees
1,0
Find anywhere else possible to work over the USPS in this day & age, too much confusion & mismanagement now! Everyone there is working under too much stress every day in every position just to get by in these trying times...im Outta there!
5,0
I enjoyed working for the United States Postal Service but needed to find a position that allowed me to gain more hours than the amount i was able to get while working as a Rural Carrier Associate for the USPS>
5,0
I worked for this company for 10 years and I learned how to be a good employee.... And how to work together as a team.. Sometimes the hours are long but the pay is good.. Sucks that you are on call everyday but again it pays well...
Pros
Work alone.. most of the time..
Cons
You work alone most of the time...
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at United States Postal Service?
2,0
Worked very hard to complete the route. Seemed impossible most days added materials and boxes were often making it impossible to complete.Days mail was delayed made it impossible to finish route in the time frame.
Pros
wages
Cons
workload, time to complete route. too many stops
5,0
I love my job, love working with the public, and meeting new people, very fast paced, and I love giving good customer service. The people are all great to work with.
Cons
Rain sleet or snow
1,0
typical day at work ,sort mail ,deliver it,overall the u.s.postal has good pay,and helped me to a good retirement.the hardest part of the job dealing with management,new rules every day
5,0
Been here for 6 months and love it so far. Training was good and picked up on the route pretty quickly. Sometimes the packages are a bit overwhelming but nothing you can’t handle.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Only guaranteed one day a week
1,0
I'm sure there was a time and place when this job was decent. My grandfather retired from it and lived comfortably until he passed from this life. But now, it's just an awful place to work. Nothing is organized, managers are jerks and are super lazy, and you are constantly harassed by management. I've worked at two different locations thinking it would be better but it was no different than the last. Give it a try, maybe it's for you, but it didn't work out for me. The postal service needs to have a do-over.
Pros
Benefits if you get them, pay is good
Cons
Management, no work-life balance, unorganized, harassment, dangerous work environment
2,0
Let me start off by saying this. If you’re looking for a job that pays decent to start, then sure, go ahead and apply. If you’re simply looking for a part-time job, this is NOT it. I’ll go into details about that later on.

It took me (and several others) roughly three (3) months from start (application submitted) to finish (first day training) to begin my/our career(s) with the USPS. You’ll be with several other applicants during the orientation/pre-training process.

Your first actual day at the office will consist of learning where things are in the office, the case and how to case, and eventually how to deliver mail. You probably will not deliver mail on your first day, you will watch the career carrier mostly. You’ll spend several weeks in training which will consist of learning the case, how to case, sort parcels, how to load your truck, and how to deliver the mail. There is so much to learn and list. You’ll be working quite a bit (I was working 3-5 days during my training period) during your training period.

Eventually, once you learn how everything works, and you’ve somewhat got a good grasp on what you’re doing, you’ll be thrown on the route by yourself with little to no assistance. Once the post office feels like you’ve got the basics, this is where you’ll have to be flexible. You will be working only one guaranteed day a week on your primary route when the carrier you’ve been training with is off. Other than that, you could possibly be off the next several days, or perhaps you’ll be scheduled on a different route in that particular office one day, or you’ll be
 - more...
Pros
Pay (for some) Good co-workers
Cons
Overworked, Unfair management/supervisors, No benefits yet they work you like a full-time employee, Lots of favoritism.
4,0
I work for the USPS and recommend it for those who have a lot of time on their hands. The pros of working here is meeting great people and customers. Cons, the hours are hard to meet if you have a growing family and don’t have much time to spare
3,0
Go to P.O. put all the mail for that day, then put packages in delivery order. Load my truck,proceed to my route and do my job.Management is up and down, being there so long, they come and go, some know how to do there jobs some don't.The hardest part of the job is the elements, can be extremely hot or bitter cold, the LLVs (mail trucks) are pretty old . and do not make for a bearable day when the weather is rough. When it snows our LLVs are horrible, hollow tin with no weight and rear wheel drive.The best part about the job, when you leave the office you are on your own, just me the mail and my customers.
Pros
used to get some free pastries or water, it's been awhile
Cons
Being treated unfairly
1,0
Roseville fired me and 4 others for no reason after heavy abuse by supervisor. I transferred from Grass Valley after worse abuse by supervisor and I left Auburn to work for the state for overtime. State pays overtime, USPS does not.
Pros
Hours were ok.
Cons
Politics were awful.
3,0
The Sunday managers at some locations are just mean. They make working there awful. Rural delivery is also unsafe and sometimes scary and sometimes there's no cell reception for emergencies. They also require you to use your personal cell phone for navigation (again, may or may not have reception) when making you take parcels not on the written directions.
Pros
It pays well.
Cons
No cell reception in rural areas=unsafe
2,0
Need to work fairly hard, a lot is expected of everyone, don't care about personal needs. You are only a number or a tool. Schedule is ridiculous.
Trucks are very old, break down often, no air condition, very hot.

Training not good, done by people who are not trainers and don't care if you get it or not. Most regular carriers are nice, some are nasty.

Pros
wages and benefits are fair
Cons
They treat RCA's like slaves, only care about their own needs.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.
3,5