United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Rural Carrier Associate

Found 2.701 reviews matching the search See all 22.750 reviews
I enjoy my job at USPS
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  South Hill, VA18 October 2019
Working in the postal field can be challenging at times but rewarding overall. I enjoy learning new things within the post office and learning new routes to assist with carrying.
Pros
Good compensation and benefits
Cons
I can not think of any cons of this position
3,0
fun working environment only if you work fast
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Former Employee) –  Aptos, CA17 October 2019
Not going to lie, I did like working as a rural carrier associate (RCA). For me, delivering the mail/parcels was fun. The people there are great, honest, hard-working people. However, I had a difficult time casing the mail and organizing the parcels every single morning before going on my route. For (1), they do not allow their RCA's to use their scanners to get their parcels (100 or more a day) organized, unlike the CCA's who do get to use them (and they get paid more to use the scanners). It would take me a couple of hours to get the parcels organized so I could at least get them all delivered. (2) It would take me more than 6 hours to get the mail AND the parcels delivered to all the addresses (see #4). (3) RCA's do not get benefits after a year, they do not get an union like the city carriers, and it is really hard work.... My back started to hurt after my shift was over. (4) After a certain amount of days (they say 90 days but management says 5 weeks??), they will only pay you for 8 hours of work... So, if you work more than 8 hours a day as a RCA, then you will only get paid those 8 hours. I was outraged bc I was working long hours and it was taking me awhile to get a hang of getting the route done on time, so it was very discouraging knowing that I will not be getting paid hourly. The only benefit to this "evaluated hours" is that if you finished before 8 hours, then you could get off of work early and get paid for 8 hours.
Pros
Delivering the mail is fun
Cons
evaluated hours, independent organization of parcels, no benefits
4,0
fast pace and competitive but slow to move up
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Virginia16 October 2019
A typical day is very fast and stressful. But once you get a route down it moves faster and faster. You work by yourself most of the time- i found listening to music while casing helped to keep me focused.
I learned time management and how to be extremely organized.
Management was not the greatest. It was one sided most of the time and it was all about not getting on list and getting back by 5. They claim they "care about your safety" but in all honesty they do not. They care about not getting sued and making sure you are within the limits. Be prepared to go through all weather. The heat is brutal in the rolling oven you are put in. The snow is an adventure i always dreaded because no doubt i would get stuck. I was told one winter that i was on my own if i got stuck. I almost injured myself that year.

The hardest thing about this job would be the expectations they throw at you within the first few weeks by yourself. This job is hard and it almost felt like being thrown to the wolves. You will cry and cuss but eventually it does get better and easier.
The most enjoyable part of this job i found was that you were around family with other carriers. When you had a problem- personal or work related- they were there to lift you up and help you. You may not get this at all offices, but i was in a small office.
Pros
good pay and benefits, competitive
Cons
stressful, weather elements, safety
Very Stressful, Fast Paced, Poor Management
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Former Employee) –  Flower Mound, TX15 October 2019
A great place to make income but a really hard place to balance your personal life. Every day is variable until you have made a full-time employee. The atmosphere can be overwhelming at the beginning because you have to have good memory and organization skills.
Pros
Compensation, Benefits
physical job
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Prattville15 October 2019
hard work, very phyisical job. Must have own vehicle to deliver the mail in. Work in all weather conditions. Must not be scared to work very hard and long hours
Full time Hours require Hustle
Rural Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blairstown, NJ15 October 2019
If you are hired as an RCA, you are only guaranteed you assigned route's days off, so either 1 day a week or 1 every other week. You will be out in terrible weather, trucks don't have A/C and some don't have heating. My office requires to me to work from Black Friday up to and on Christmas Eve with 0 days off. The trucks are not built for the parcel load we get now.

As for co-workers and management, that depends on your office. My current Postmaster is a complete idiot and NEVER should have been given a clipboard. He was only promoted because he would bow to District's will. They rarely promote Clerks or Rural Carriers, so most of management ends up being ex-City Carriers. Did I mention there are THREE different Unions and contracts? Oh and the Rural Union doesn't support their subs, I don't have health insurance, sick days, paid vacation, and am NOT considered Career Employee, so I can't even APPLY to shift elsewhere in the agency.

The job itself can be stressful, packages and mail can become overwhelming, I can't tell you how many times I've been forced to deliver in an unsafe truck, broken frame for example, and just overworked. They pressure you to work Sundays as well so you won't really have a solid day off.

You can make this job have full time hours if you have the Hustle or are "lucky" enough to be in an office that is perpetual chaos.You can work in other offices and get hours that way. You can also transfer to other offices permanently, but you will be on the bottom of the seniority list which is the ONLY way to become a full time employee. So yeah, be warned,
5,0
One day, maybe two per week.
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleview, FL14 October 2019
I was hired as full time and ended up only working 1-2 days per week. The manager expected you to complete your route with little training and driving conditions were not safe. The route could not be completed within expected time frame, if you followed all the rules of the road. So, the manager was not happy.
2,0
Bad managers, liars and corrupt.
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  San Benito, TX13 October 2019
For two years I saw and experienced corruption. I saw managers hiding packages, choosing hours for their favorite employees, falsifying timesheets. I had a Supervisor driving behind me for an hour bumper to bumper daring me to hitting him. When I filed a grievance my steward never filed it and laugh at me two weeks later. I worked 5 months only one day a week. If you want a day off just buy them a taco, lol.
Fun and unique
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Current Employee) –  Parachute, CO11 October 2019
Very fun environment once you get the hang of the office you are currently in. Plenty of working hours if you are willing to travel to other offices that are near by.
4,0
USPS is a productive and fun place to work at
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Kingwood, TX11 October 2019
working at the USPS is an eye-opener. The mail process from beginning to end, i.e., from sorting, casing, and delivery to the customers at their homes is a new experience entirely.
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Stoneville, NC10 October 2019
I just did not get enough hours and no benefits. I have to maintain my jeep; so if you do not have a good car then you will come out of pocket with the money.
4,0
Never call off or say you can't make it
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Bridgeton, NJ10 October 2019
Definitely need more hours for RCAs Faster time frame to become full time regular employees! Some compassion for people with kids & a life! Teach to the older employees respect for other coworkers
Pros
Pay rate
Cons
No hours
Horrible management
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC9 October 2019
Very hostile work environment and if you care about your sanity don't apply.
No benefits for years.
Work hard, no appreciation.
Management don't care about you.
You are just a warm body and replaceable.
Cons
No benefits
3,0
Fast paced and steady work
ARC Assistant Rural Carrier (Former Employee) –  Madison, WI8 October 2019
Start the day with picking a route and sorting it and then load the delivery truck. Deliver packages and then help out other drivers that might be behind schedule.
3,0
Deliver mail in rural areas
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, OR7 October 2019
I will come in sort mail in delivery sequence and load it on my vehicle or postal vehicle then head out to the route and deliver mail as well as certified letter and packages.
Pros
Good people
Cons
It was so difficult to use the restroom outside of town
1,0
Only if you are willing to suffer
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Bainbridge Island, WA7 October 2019
Insanely hostile work environment. Management literally hate the people who work for them. Every bad thing you have heard is true and more. Also, the job is very hard on the body. Everything is basically the opposite of ergonomic. Expect to develop carpal tunnel and pervasive back soreness. It does not get better. Also, Amazon is the devil and USPS made a deal with them.
2,0
RCA is the worst job at USPS
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, NC5 October 2019
it is hard job with very low income and weak benefits, management are very unprofessional, it is not good place to work until USPS give RCA a full benefits like regular carrier
Pros
work with minimal supervision
Cons
no benefits, no paid vacation no fixed schedule very low wage per hour
Part time work
Assistant Rural Carrier (Current Employee) –  Shelton, WA4 October 2019
Sunday and holidays only. The non union/part time workers are treated like they do not belong and are expendable. It is an ok job if you only want to work a few hours a week and not have to deal with the regular employees too much.
4,0
If you like working outside and enjoy being out in the community this job is for you!
Assistant Rural Carrier/ARC (Current Employee) –  Shiawassee County, MI3 October 2019
I enjoy working at the post office. I enjoy being outside and seeing people in the community. This job is fast pace and at times can be stressful. Also you are required to work in all elements.
4,0
Not enough hours or benefits
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Current Employee) –  Powder Springs, GA2 October 2019
No good benefits available for my position as an RCA. The pay is too low and the raises are not enough. It’s hard to live off the salary that I make with the post office. The benefits are not great. Health insurance is too expensive and there is no 401k or life Insurance available.
Pros
It is a Federal Government job
Cons
Benefits and Salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

3,5